This looks amazing, is it worth it to buy a Rift or Vive?

Ugh well the PC that was gifted to me just went up in smoke. Not sure what, but I’m too old to spend hours trying to figure it out. Either graphics card went kaput or the mobo (not beeping) and won’t push out video. I was able to check the specs and processor is a i7 930 2.80ghz and gfx is/was gtx 550 ti, both below spec.

Back to square one!

Urgh, yeah, thats well below minimum requirements. I used double gtx550ti before i upgraded to gtx970 which i am still using and which is pretty much the minimum for VR.

You can, but there can be issues. Ive seen left handed tanks complain… apparently it can be hard for some of them to grab their accessories (because the accessories dont switch sides) I dont tank, cant give you more info than that. Its doable*, but with an asterisk. I left hand musky, no problem.

warrior requires a bit of swinging space, but the others are doable in a small area. I musky sitting down most of time. I get up for non-easy mode boss fights.

Hey all, think the below would work on low settings? I’m trying to do this ultra low budget.

Dell Opitiplex 7010 Barebones - I’ll purchase the below -
Intel Quad Core i7-3770
GTX 970 4GB
8GB of RAM (can do more but I have left 4X2GB stick of ram left over ram for this)
120GB SDD

I have the same except I have a 1060 and I get some occasional lag on low but it’s playable for the most part.

As far as ram goes, you’ll do yourself a great service of always getting at least 16 gb for gaming these days.

Alright so this is what I got coming at me hopefully soon - I bought the optiplex 7020 off ebay for $128 w/ shipping.

Dell Opitiplex 7020
Intel Quad Core i5-4590
GTX 1050 TI
8GB of RAM
1TB 7200 RPM (comes with it) my change to SSD.

That looks like that should cut it based on all that I’ve read and figured out. I don’t think I even need to replace the power supply!

Next step will be getting the HTC Vive from my buddy to test, one step closer to OrbusVR!

I know I’m scraping the bottom of the barrel but hey, I’m doing what I can!

Can anyone divulge what are the lowest settings for the game should be or what I might be able to get away with - just to have that set properly?

It has a cpu almost as old as mine, with about the same or slightly better benchmarks:
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-4590-vs-Intel-Core-i5-2500K/2604vs619

If you scroll to the very bottom of that page, you can also see common userbuilds. Left side will have your optiplex 7020 listed, right side will have my asrock extreme3 gen3 listed (which isn’t a full build, just the motherboard my cpu sits in that is).

That being said, one thing you definetely want to upgrade in it, is get yourself 16mb of ram instead of the 8 it comes with. But once it arrives, test it out and see if it works for you. You might want/need to overclock the cpu a bit as well for better performance.

Think you could walk me through overclocking if need be? I’ve never done that but heard horror stories. I know there’s % of overclocking that’s safe vs. bad. But overall I’m ignorant on it.

Yeah I have my eye on 16GB ram, which isn’t too terrible price wise. But if I can get away with 8GB for a bit to save up some more cash I will. I’m trying to also get the GTX 1050 TI Mini at a “decent” price, which is ironic at the moment.

Thanks for the help!
-Jeff

Sorry, can’t really help you there. I don’t usually overclock either unless i have a specific reason to do so. In my case i did so to test if the lag/disconnect issues i’ve been having in orbus was due to insufficient cpu power. Turns out it isn’t as far as i can tell, but since my system has been super stable since doing so, i’ve left it on. One of my overclocking attempts left me with an unresponsive system though, where i had to clear the CMOS. Luckily, that was all i had to do to “get it back” :wink:

Your best bet is probably searching for information from others overclocking that exact machine setup. I bet theres some information to be had out there. Don’t worry about overclocking for starters though, see how things run prior to that :wink:

No worries, I’d prefer not too if I don’t have too. I’ll keep everything as is! It will be a fresh OS install, and only be running the VR stuff, nothing else.

I’m hoping it’ll just squeak by as is for the time being.

You were disconnecting or having lag, but thought it was PSU related? That’s odd, I’d assume your video card would go out long before Ethernet would, just a guess but Graphics would pull much more power first. If you had video, then I’d say no, the issue had to be Network related or driver related.

Just one little hiccup and it all goes to hell!

I’m wearing glasses with the vice and it works pretty well. For the best experience though, you might want to wear contacts instead because you will get some eye ball juice on your glasses after like an hour of playing.

Oh, nah not at all. Let me rephrase: CPU speed :wink: My old machine has plenty of wattage, back when i assembled it i future proofed that part with a 750w. Before i overclocked my cpu usage was just slightly under maxing out while playing, and it was suggested that some of the irregularities i was experiencing were due to this. Turned out it didn’t make a difference in my case though :wink:

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all your help. I have one question I’m now grappling with. I don’t have an ideal space to play the game.

Can anyone kind of explain the difference between the room scale and standing setup? I don’t quite grasp the difference. Most videos just show setting up Room Scale. I have a very small space, like in my living room rug area with a couch around it.

If I choose standing, can I not turn my head? Just curious how I would play this like that.

Thank you
-Jeff

Well, sitting/standing is kinda like being at your normal 2D monitor (but in 3d) where you dont move, except that you can look around and move your arms (hands) around to grab/interact with stuff closeby. In this setup you normally use your controllers to turn and move in the gameworld, without physically moving your body other than your head and hands.

Roomscale however lets you define the borders of a physical space of yours, in which you can freely move around as you wish. In both oculus and steamVR the boundaries of your roomscale is customizable within the games so that you can see virtual walls appear in the game when you are close to an actual physical boundary that you have defined. You can also turn off walls and put boundaries instead, which result in an outline being shown on the virtual floor where you have defined your physical boundaries (or you can be daring - and probably dumb - and turn it off completely, and find the boundaries when you hit your fist/controller/head into something preferably not your wall, desk, wife, child or dog hurting something in the process haha)

So basically, the difference is more or less having a space where you can more or less only use your hands and head, and having a space you can “walk/jump/crouch/crawl/be silly” in while interacting with the game world (and not get hurt in the process haha).

The roomscale system in oculus is called “Guardian” and the roomscale system in SteamVR is called “Chaperone”. But essentially they do the exact same.

All that being said, both systems have their own definition of optimal roomscales. And while i don’t remember the exact numbers, optimal roomscale is in the ballpark of 2-3 meters on each side. Don’t let that scare you though. If you have a space where you, while standing up, can ensure you aren’t hitting anything in 1x1 m or so, then that will work too. It will be somewhat cramped, but you will still get a much larger immersion than if you had less :wink:

Edit:
In roomscale you STILL use your controllers to move around, but you have a much higher degree of freedom within your space :wink:

Edit 2:
Sigh, all these edits. Sorry, it is friday and i’m working on getting drunk, so excuse any missing words and possible bad grammar above :wink:

Thanks for that, that’s helpful. I think it’s simply trial and error for the most part, eh?

I feel like the standing option isn’t that bad and may work to ease me into VR. I don’t mind using my controller to turn to be perfectly honest, but I guess full immersion is nice too.

Appreciate it!
-Jeff

1 Like

Don’t worry too much about it. For OrbusVR you pretty much just need space around to swing your hands (and for some classes you can even do it sitting down), the rest makes perfect sense with the locomotion type of your choice.

But VR titles are different, and in some titles, roomscale makes a lot more sense. Hmm, try taking a look at this game video. Incidentally i just played this game, and if my roomscale was just slightly larger, i wouldnt have to teleport at all :smiley:, but with just a little teleportation, i quickly got turned around quite a lot (and got entangled in my headset cable a few times hahaha)

In the one above, a “perfect” size would be optimal, and not having that, standing still and teleporting would probably be second best. But yeah, it varies a lot from game to game.

Another great example is “Robo Recall” (i got it free with my oculus touch bundle) where f ex sidestepping or space to just sway to dodge bullets etc makes massive sense. I initially wanted to link you a video, but this game is so awesome (although its not a title you’d play as many hours as OrbusVR is) that i didn’t want to spoil it for you which a lot of videos will.

Processor: Intel Core i5-4950 or AMD FX 8350
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GTX 970 or AMD Radeon R9 290
DirectX: Version 10
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 4 GB available space
Those are minimum specs so maybe a bit more ram and a higher graphics card but those specs should work

I can attest that gtx970 works just fine as that is what i am using. Perfectly smooth. I am far more cpu bound than gpu bound (actually my gpu does a minimum of work during gameplay in orbusVR). And as previously mentioned, 16 gb ram for more or less any non-old game these days if it is a little flashy or is using special technology like f ex VR where things basically have to be rendered twice :wink: