Thoughts on good mechanics of an Orbus boss

The dev post of rate these bosses on difficulty made me think, about what would be the best we can think of as a boss for this game.

The following comes to mind to me. The boss needs to be able to involve everyone in the fight. If we traditionally go to a fight with a tank, healer and dps, then the following comes to mind to me:

Tanks
The boss needs a tank buster for the tank to watch out for. This tankbuster will only start instakilling on higher shards to make the mechanic only nessecary on lvl 7+ as example. This is important to make it scale up like that.

Further more to distingiush the boss it needs a seperate mechanic for the tank to deal with. This can be dodge away from the line of sight of the boss something else like that.

To tackle the lack of warriors we need to address one of the big advantages of pally, stunlocking. The perfect boss does not allow for stunlocking this much as it makes the warrior obsolete. Prevent getting any major advantage from stunlocking as pally.

What about adds? Same deal, warrior is in the major disadvantage if we are talking adds spawning as the pally stores aggro bursts and AoE aggro groundslams on multiple adds. Would avoid adding adds to a new boss to the current stage of the tanks if the adds are meant for the tanks to take.

Healers
To tackle the most neglected necesity of the 3, the healer, it needs its own separete challenge. A healers task is what? Healing! Does it have to be to make the job easier for the tank? No! It should be a mechanic only a healer can handle.

An example: there is a bomb selected on a random player. Its a very clear indication who got the bomb (not like the death icon from old game tradu boss, that one was too hard to see). Like a yellow glow on the player? They will start taking damage after a while and the healer needs to focus their heals on that person. Sadly, everyone standing close to that person will be glowing red to warn that standing close is a bad plan. They will die if they stay there. Because just bounce healing everyone blindly is not going to be the solution with people so far apart. it will kill the other people standing close to the target player. This way the healer job is something else then spam bounce heals on cooldown. It needs to be tuned that a bards crescendos can save the player from the damage but just their passives cant. And of course only on higher shards is that how much it damages :wink:

Dps
For the dps its more a question of will the mechanics make the fight more fun or just frustrating? And is it fair between the dps.

Always question when the dps are being forced to be moved somewhere if one of the 4 dps gets a major downside from this movement in their play? Will they feel like they are contributing less because of this? Extreme movement should always be paired with a down phase where you cant dps. Otherwise shamans will be left in the dust. And the distance between the boss and players should allow 30 meters as for rangers for this to be fair.

Sadly those two classes are in major conflict in needed distance. A possible mechanic is having the boss start teleporting around in a predictable area stopping long enough for shaman orbs to reach on time once while staying in an area that keeps the boss 30 meters away for rangers.

Then it does not always have to be about dps itselfm There can be a mechanic that a dps needs to do something else, as long as they dont feel like they are secrificing dos for this mechanic, then it can work out. It can also make people feel more included in a fight beyond their dps. Which is very important for a healthy community.

Some other notes

• As long as the above conditions are kept you can go wild in creativity of a fight. Remember, in the end the goal is to engage the player. Which will be achieved if you make it fun for them and make them feel like they matter with what they do.
  • Mechanics like AoEs should have clear death area. Otherwise frustration of unfairness happens and the mechanic should have just been avoided. Being on the edge of an AoE circle not showing you the “going to die arrow” while still dying is a current big flaw in Orbus.
  • The line swooping AoEs in current boss fights are flawed as the client and server agreeing with the moment of the jump differs widely. Giving an unintuative moment to jump over the AoE. Also this jump moment changes based on internet ping which makes it unfair. Then we have the problem of when the ground is not flat you dont see the AoEs well (cough crab boss)

So here is my two cents of Orbus boss fight design :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

While I agree with Scott on most of the points - no one wants a “brain off and just hit boss/heal tank” fight - I don’t think that every role has to have one additional thing to watch out for every fight. I’d much rather have a fight with a focus on one singular mechanic that is executed well, and then maybe add an additional small thing to keep the players that aren’t primarily involved with the core mechanic from standing around completely. I especially like those mechanics where one of the DPS has to take on a special role, and those that require communication.

For example, I like the Mines and Temple dungeons a lot. For the Dovregubben fight, one of the DPS (or the healer) has the responsibility to shoot down the spikes. The healer doesn’t have to do much in that fight, but in return, the Scav Shaman fight is a lot harder on the healer than most bosses, as - at least how we currently do it - they have to watch out for the tank as well as the DPS that stand on the other side of the room and inevitably get damaged over the course of the fight by the poison puddles.

Cove has some fun and interesting new mechanics, but in my opinion, it’s too convoluted - there’s so much going on at the same time that you barely have enough time to play your class well between dodging mechanics, and it gets extremely stressful especially on higher shards, where it is extremely punishing when you miss anything.

To throw some ideas into the room (just ideas of what I’d like to see, probably not very well thought out): Maybe someone has to run around in the boss room, looking for a little thing to throw at the boss that only they can see, while the rest of the team does your usual bossfight thing (like the Giant Dreadfang, but a group fight). Maybe something where the boss or something in the environment needs to be hit with a special type of attack to break its invincibility (for example, a “pink” attack like Arcane spells, Weakness orb or Piercing arrow for a pink shield, a “blue” frost/slow attack for a blue shield, etc.).

So, tl;dr: Please keep it simple by focusing on one, well executed mechanic :heart:

2 Likes

I agree, some new mechanics and new things to focus in bosses would bring a new challenge to experienced players.

So…

…how bout the ones that rarely face some of the existing bosses because of lack on opportunities to do so?

I wish there was a way to have more chances on doing other dungeons. The only way I currently can do dungeons is through queues, so yeah, I’m stuck with +1 gear in game, not full - got some +2 and +3 pieces from a few chances I had in shards and raids.

Usually people who do those prefer other players who have a full +6 set and have years of exp on mechanics. So yeah. I’m stuck. I’ll never play end-game.
(Btw, I’m stuck as well in the MSQ, on Tomb Raider part, for the very same reason. I really tried to enter the ancient temple solo, there is NO WAY to get across the mines solo).

I am sorry to hear that… I don’t believe that people only invite geared-out players for shards, but just tend to look in their friend list for people to invite to a shard group because of convenience.

If you want to do shards, just ask around town, most people (including me) will be happy to help out!

3 Likes

Mines could absolutely be done solo. It would suck, but there isn’t anything there that would stop you.

1 Like

Don’t listen to him. Yes, that’s technically correct, it can be done solo, but only something to try when you already know the mechanics by heart and are looking for a challenge, and/or have masochistic tendencies. Definitely not doable or even any fun for someone who has never even completed the dungeon before.

3 Likes

Yeah i think the old aoe red squares should be brough back or a setting that you can turn on

2 Likes

unfortunately, part of that is on you. you really gotta put yourself out there if you want gear. a good first step would be joining a fellowship. two examples are thrive and solar eclipse. i know both have raids throughout the week you can join. imo, dungeons are useless unless you want legendaries. raids already give the best gear.

2 Likes

Unfortunately I have to agree with you. The thing is way deeper, as I’m shy as hell and it’s really hard for me to put myself out there.
Also, it’s even harder for me on groups and gatherings. Too many people talking at once choke me. I will definitely try to talk to any of you if I see you around. Please do the same if you do!

I completely understand and it’s okay. You can go on push to talk and turn down voices a lot. I turn down voices and listen to music during raids and I’ve found that works really well. I can still hear what they’re saying, but it’s not as overwhelming.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.