Training dummies vs mob damage

Currently level 13 ranger with a 251 bow…
Quick question, does the damage on each mob vary?

The training dummies show a standard, non-buffed, close range arrow shot as about 104-109 dps. But every different enemy shows a different dps. For example the foxes just outside Highsteppe will show a standard shot as 44, every time. The stags will show a 60 every standard shot, and so on for each different enemy. Seems to me like each enemy has a different standard damage, is this correct?

This extends to the buffed shots too but they are variable based on distance and globes and arrow selection etc.

These shots are from close range (as in the animal in attacking you) and the shots are every one second without any added charges or buffs. I tested this on green mobs so I can stand there and take my time shooting consistent shot intervals without dying.

Thanks.

I would assume it’s different because of the different levels of the enemies. I’ve noticed this occasionally when switching between yellow and red mobs. May have been a coincidence.

But shouldn’t my dps output be the same despite the mob level?

If a green mob fox takes 44 dps but a green mob stag takes 60 then the level of the mob isn’t the issue.

my best guess for this influx is:

Its a percent based system. Meaning each mob animal has different health bars even if they are in the same mob class (green). So the fox would have say, 150 health and the stag has 100 health and my arrow does 4% dps per hit regardless. Then that would mean the green mobs would take 4% dps per shot. Making the green fox a stronger enemy over a green stag, because the fox takes less damage per shot because of the higher health bar.

(my numbers aren’t meant to make sense, for example purposes only)

When a mob becomes a much lower level than you, you will do reduced damage. Reasoning behind this in the patch notes (of a while ago): “There is now a cap on how much damage you can do to a monster that is significantly lower level than you. This should only come into play when you are (for example) a Level 20 going to a beginner zone. The fights there will still be fairly easy for you but we don’t want you running around decimating the entire population in 10 seconds.”.

The green triangle fox and green triangle stag most likely were not the same level. Green triangle only says the mob is under leveled for you. Not what level it is exactly. You can read info about the monster strength icons in your journal. (However the Fox and the Stag you attacked could have been the same level because they wander in the same area. But a level 1 difference between mobs in the same area is not uncommon.)

But nowhere in the above quote it says that a level difference of one (as might have been the case with the Fox and the Stag) can have an effect on the damage output. Only that a big difference in level results in a damage cap. So it is most likely the damage cap into play, but I can not be certain here.

Gotcha, a fair damage cap makes sense, especially when you put it into perspective,…

I would imagine mobs have some sort of defensive rating to mitigate damage also. Even if the fox and stag are the same level you might get different values because one may have a higher defensive rating to reduce your damage further.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.