Using websockets to play? Then dont pick warrior class!

If I could go back in time, this is the advice I would love to have gotten before I started playing, so hopefully I can help another poor soul with my experience.

If like me you need to use websocket mode to play OrbusVR instead of the regular UDP connection because of constant crashes, then don’t pick warrior class.

Why? Let me explain: Using websockets has a trade-off that makes warriors useless for end game things such as boss fights in tradu mines. Trying to maintain aggro from a boss is nearly impossible since provoke combos land only once every 3 times, sometimes its worse.

When I switch to UDP, all my combos land, strikes are perfect, I can hold a bosses attention without a care in the world, everything is as its should be…until I crash, then its back to websocket mode. In websocket mode there is a kind of “lag” for lack of better words when I block an incoming hit with my shield, then remove my shield out of the way, my next 2-3 strikes still strike a kind of invisible shield in front of me (like my shield still lingered there for a second or two) making provoke combos miss.

Dont get me wrong, I am glad websocket mode exists, otherwise I would not by able to play OrbusVR at all, but I never imagined it would affect end game boss fights this much with the warrior class.

If I knew I would run into this class breaking issue, I sure as hell would not have wasted all this time leveling a warrior to level 20, but there was no way to know until I reached that point and experienced it for myself.

Sorry Devs, I know this is another issue to look at and you guys have enough on your plate already. Hopefully, most warriors out there can play using UDP and not websockets like me.

1 Like

Oh heck! I was wondering why I suddenly can’t hit my combos not as good as before…but thanks to your threat I realized that, yes, I switched to web socket the other day and I liked it 'cause it’s so stable! I didn’t think that it may affect my fighting :roll_eyes:

Thank you! Have to check that tomorrow! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hmmmmm…I’m not sure what about Websocketa would cause this unless you just have a lot of natural large packet loss in your setup and Websockets are covering that up whereas UDP is just causing you to crash.

The only trade off when using Websockets, as I said in the original thread, is that if you have packet loss other packets can get backed up and that can cause lag spikes. I guess I can see how that could cause this issue but then at the same time if that really is the cause then I think the goal would be to figure out what’s causing the packet loss in the first place.

Of course, the goal is just to get everyone into UDP long term and the Websockets are just a temporary solution for the hopefully. But I’m just saying, there’s nothing inherent in Websockets themselves that would make playing a Warrior (or any class) harder just because you’re using them.

Also not to say you’re not experiencing this, as I believe you are, just not sure if Websockets is the cause and UDP is the fix or something else might be going on.

2 Likes

Thanks Riley_D, once we are all on UDP and its stable, then yes, everything should work as designed for sure.

I have a strong connection, 60/30 cable modem, hooked up directly into the router (no wifi) 25ms average ping with orbus server. Here is the kicker, I have no packet loss! multiple times, i play while using the ping -t game-direct.orbusvr.com command and I have yet to see a single loss packet. I never really noticed how severe this websocket issue is until it mattered and well now, in the Tradu mines, it does immensely to the point where I have to drop my warrior until stable UDP connection works.

Started a ranger, the grind is quite unforgivable, even with the added 30% bonus XP from mob killing. I noticed the same behavior with my ranger, 1 out of every 15 arrow will go right through a creature completely not registering. Its more noticeable when its your opening shot though. Not sure I have the patience to bring him to 20, may stop playing altogether.

I really appreciate the effort you guys are putting in this game, but I sincerely hope this websocket band-aid fix is the absolute highest on your priority list. Its the kind of show stopper than can kill all the fun out of a great game.

Okay, thanks for the additional info. You’re seeing the Ranger shot go through when using UDP as well or that also is only happening to you with Websockets?

At any rate, it is one of our top bugs to fix. Just very strange that you would be seeing those differences if packet loss is not involved. Makes me think something else is going on.

Ranger arrow issue only when using websockets. I cant play using UDP, crashes every 15 minutes so I have no choice to always default to websockets

Really happy to hear its on the top of the priority list! If there is anything I can do to contribute to do more fact findings, please don’t by shy, hell I will even give you full control of my pc via teamviewer if needed.

@Riley_D Hey I have a stupid question: Do you guys have access to (or have the resources to build) a monitoring software that could:

• Fetch orbusVR crash reports and send them back home when they occur.
  • Check all hardware and driver version and report it back (like dxdiag but better)
  • monitor live network game sessions (network, ping, lag, loss packet)
  • monitor live games data (in game performances, crashes, memory, ect)

I mean this would be installed completely at the discretion of the end user, but like myself I am sure many of us would be happy to run such a software to help you guys out. Anyway, just a though! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Sebastien_B @Riley_D
Ok,I tested changing back to UDP…and didn’t solve my problem :-/
I obviously have a weakness hitting combos on mobs that have a forward backward movement in their attacks like wyrm and swine :frowning:
I guess I should follow that movement(?)

That would miss the context that the player has to provide. A crash report and log does not show everything happening. It would even be a high change that the crash report does not show anything useful about the cause of the crash (Depending on type of crash and what the devs decided to log and what not). I think it would be better after a crash when you login you would get a pop-up saying “would you like to add some information about what happened before you crashed?”.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.