Warrior Beta Feedback: All things

I guess that is pretty true, you wouldn’t want it to be where everyone can come out of a boss fight with out a scratch.

Precisely. The Spirit was just an easy mob to demonstrate the conundrum. Really, nobody should be hit by one.

Indeed, but that puts warriors in an awkward spot as is. If Sword Rush is on Cooldown, and you’re too far away to attack, and you are fighting a monster that requires precise dodging (such as Sanyael, May Her Passing Cleanse the World), You have to play the special dance.

Do you Jump in and maybe get hit by the AoE which you now cant dodge because teleport is on cooldown, Or do you sit and do nothing because you are out of your effective range and wait for either Rush or the AoE to happen and respond accordingly?

I dont think it is a good idea to Plan for the Warrior as a class (or any class for that matter) to have moments of “do nothing and wait” because you will be punished for not waiting. That just isn’t engaging. :confused:

The other 3 classes (to my knowledge) don’t have this particular issue in regards to “effective combat range”

But that’s the best part! Having to think in the moment to make the right decision. Or experience it enough times to formulate a strategy. One of my favorite moves us to sword rush an enemy to zap out of an aoe. If my teleport is short I’ll just keep using it until I’m in a better spot then sword rush where I need to go. There are always a bunch of options. Or stun just before they would use an attack and preemptively hold the teleport for when the stun wears off for a full port.

I agree that in-combat decisions are critical to the health of the game as a whole.

Take the Sanyael fight we did (that I know you missed out on :cry:) A few musketeers chose to prep and hold a mass decurse. I think that is fine. It was a tactical choice between doing something and preping for another as the fight called for it.

I feel the warrior positioning does not fall into that category. It’s not a choice of one thing or another. Its a choice of doing “something” or doing “nothing” as all things the warrior does require you to be close to your target.

I watched shadow’s stream of it. With that fight maybe the warrior mechanic isn’t direct boss damage? Maybe get aggro and keep moving then deal with adds. Let the range players dish damage while the worm is flying around. Tank n spank isn’t always the answer. Of course they’re just theories until tested

Follow up: the final jungle boss has a phase where the warrior just stands around. It’s by design. Each class has a role and it’s our jobs to figure them out

I bring up Sanyael, May Her Passing Cleanse the World, simply for the Musketeer bit, not necessarily the warrior interaction with her.

Again, I just dont like the “Do nothing because it is safer” mentality that warrior in its current state promotes.

It’s one thing to prep a useful action (like Musketeer Decurse). Its another to wait on the boss for your time to shine (like warrior vs Sanyael, May Her Passing Cleanse the World).

It is a problem when you cant do your job when you need to, because the mechanics of the game (not your decision making as a player) hinder you from engaging in the fight in a meaningful way.

I didn’t watch the fight in its entirety, but from what I saw of the attempts you all were not approaching the fight correctly. So something to consider is that when you see something like an “undodgable AoE”, it may be less that the game is being unfair, and more that you haven’t figured out the correct way to do the fight yet so it’s impossible to do the way that you are attempting it (“you” in this case being “the raid party”).

That’s actually a good thing because it means that it’s not easy to figure out right away, but at the same time I can assure you there are no mechanics in the game that are impossible to complete (barring a bug of course).

Something everyone may not know is that Robert and I were in on the early attempts at Elongata way back in the Closed Alpha and early Stress Tests advising people on some of the mechanics they should try because we wanted people to start getting used to the game. A lot of that knowledge has survived and filtered down in the community making that fight probably seem a little easier than it would have been if we didn’t do that.

We aren’t doing that with this boss fight (and future fights)…and, especially in the case of World Bosses, the content is designed to hopefully take the community as a whole at least a little effort to figure out, so if you all had successfully figured out the whole fight and done it in one fell swoop in an hour that would have actually been pretty bad from my perspective, haha. I’m sure that as you all level up and get more attempts in you will figure it out.

2 Likes

I entirely agree. Its fast but not undodgeable. We ultimately didn’t have enough 16’s but if everyone was appropriately leveled we likely would have spent more time on it. Ive been rewatching the Vid of the stream and learned a ton from it.

The next attempt will be much better :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah after thinking about it I take that back. It wouldn’t be much of a boss fight if it was so easily dodged.

The fact that we have a recording of it really helps. I have a few good Ideas on how to approach it next time we have a go at Sanyael, May Her Passing Cleanse the World.

Especially in terms of Warrior (and raid) Positioning.

I’ll save those details for the next Beta.

1 Like

i feel like reworking the teleport mechanics to work off of a point-spending system rather than a timer would be nice. but just a little suggestion on my part. if my enemies can have smooth movement then i should too :stuck_out_tongue:

so we were supposed to use shielding spells somehow i assume.

Not sure if shielding spells matter too much, as we definitely had some level 16s in close to maxed out gear with shielding spells up and they still got insta-gibbed, and I want to say that included warriors too. (Shielding also seems to do a pretty small amount of overall damage reduction, that may get rebalanced, we’ll have to see).

My current thinking is that we can either control her movements somehow (warrior pre-aggro kiting?), or that there is some predictable pattern to it we can teach everyone to follow to stay one step ahead/behind/out-of-the-way. I’m excited to figure it out with everyone next playtest!

Indeed! I have a few good ideas about what to do.

Priority #1 is getting a bunch of people to lvl 20.

I think that was our biggest downfall; Not having enough high level peeps with us.

I dont mind wiping 15 times to learn the fight. But we people to be on board.

We probable want to send a full party team in to see if she can be controlled in a predictable way before the “raid attempt” arrives and see if more information can be gathered about her patterns.

Yeah, the rebalancing to 20 will be interesting, as they historically have cranked up the world bosses to match the current top player level. It did seem like even maxed out players were being insta-killed once the AEs were working again, so I dunno how critical it will be (once we figure it out) to exclude lower level players, as if they can avoid the AEs, even a level 1 musketeer can mass cure the poison/acid (in theory).

Btw, love the “Sanyael, May Her Passing Cleanse the World”. :slight_smile:

For those who don’t know about the wonderful fantasy of Dune:

http://dunepedia.wikifoundry.com/page/Sandworm

It’s a book from 1965 (well worth the read) and giant Sand-worms roam the desert. They were revered as deities in some cultures.