Warrior Questions

As a Warrior main, I took an extended break from Orbus shortly after the first raids were added and had some questions after coming back.

-I noticed the new charge mechanic and while it’s an interesting addition I find it’s description confusing. The descripion describes a charge attack being activated by holding the sword “at a 90 degree angle” after performing a combo. 90 degree relative to what? to my waist? My face? Which direction are turning the sword aka what direction is 0 degrees?? I’ve had the charge go off several times but currently it seems random, one time holding the sword at my side charges an attack, the next it does not and has to be held stright up to charge, third time neiother of these work but it charges when held on the opposite side instead.

-Vertical slashes…these were the bane of any warrior right before I left originally and took several quirky practices to make usable. Now after trying it out it seems far FAR worse. Slashing at a Venom Spider was almost impossible to produce a vertical slash unless literally placing the sword straight at my feet and bringing the blade straight up. Diagonals don’t count, being slightly offset does not count, slashing too fast or too slow does not count. At least before standing in the right place could perform several verticals and made positioning important, now I can’t find how to make them work at all.

-Hit detection in general. Some very strange things seem to happen now, seemly at random as well. Slashes happen that I did not even execute, double hits trigger when only a single swing was done. For testing sake I even simply walked up to a Bluetail and stabbed it with a simple thrust (which shouldn’t have worked at all). The result was 5 consecutive, weak, hits going off at once in random directions. Why?

After leaving at level 19 I was hoping to come back to Orbus and finally hit level 20 but unless I’m missing a lot of major bit of information, the Warrior seems to be in an even worse state than before. Am I wrong? Please tell me that I am wrong and simply need to improve, as I’d much rather that than the above being the truth.

so the charge mechanic is basically pointing at the sky. it takes about a second and you should hear a sound when you do it following a combo.

i don’t have any problems with the vertical slash… it works fine for me

doing a thrust will do that because the game is detecting minor changes in your attack direction (presumably from moving your hand slightly). they do no damage because you are not actually swinging and they require a full arc for full damage (90 degrees from right or left before the mob

I’m pretty sure it’s 90 degrees from where you are looking, so you can’t look at your sword while it’s at your side. You have to look straight ahead.

That makes far more sense, thank you.

In my experience the angle doesn’t matter very much. As long as you get your sword out of your field of view the charge will begin. Keep in mind 3 piece combos charge faster than 4 piece combos so maybe get comfortable with it by charging provoke.

On the vertical slashes there’s a few tricks you can use here. The most helpful I’ve found is if you lean back when making the vertical strike or if you pull your arm back to increase the distance between your sword and your target, the strike becomes much more reliable. Second tip is to pay close attention to how you’re managing your distance between you and your target. Other swings aren’t super sensitive to this but the up swings certainly are. I hope those two tips help you but this will take a lot of practice to really get your hands around.

So you can actually engage the charge mechanic from a bunch of positions. I charge mine outside my view by my right hip.

So after spending half an hour testing nothing but Vertical slashes on various targets I can say they are still extremely unreliable. Any slash that goes from the bottom right to the top left, at a 45 degree angle to the floor or steeper, will count as a vertical (most of the time). At the same time any slash that goes from the bottom left to the top right does not count, ever. Changing the angle, distance to target, and held sword direction do not seem to remedy this issue.

Now this is workable for simple combos like Provoke where you always start from the bottom right anyways, it makes other combos like Cleave unusable as both verticals have to be right-side slashes. This is extremely uncomfortable to perform and has ZERO flow. As a result, from what I can find through testing, warriors are now one trick ponies.

For left side up settings especially you have to draw your sword arm back behind your shoulder. It’s a bit of a truck but it helps significantly. If it helps as a warrior the only real combos you need are going to be provoke and wound.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.