Warrior sword hit detection bug

This means a lot. Thank you for tackling the issues.

1 Like

I dunno, I was having no problem at all as a Warrior tanking or dpsā€™ing Sentry. The hitbox was fine IMO. I can put up a little video showing how its done if you need it.

I donā€™t think the swing speed is the problem.

I tried testing how slow I could swing and still get the detection. Itā€™s actually pretty slow. The problem I found was that when I tried left-swing then right-swing, the right-swing would often not register.

Iā€™m wondering if the bug here is that it has to register one hit before it would accept the swing for the next.

It seems to me that for a swing to register, it has to make a trip to the server and back. I notice that a swing has a small lag, about the same as network latency. Sometimes, I will swing multiple times and it wonā€™t register as a swing until it makes that client-server-client round trip. Then, often, I will get multiple to register at a time.

However, now it seems like I have to wait for a swing to register before my next swing will be accepted.

Itā€™s something I noticed early on playing Warrior, but with the hit-box detection, I could work with it, slowing down my combos. Now, though, it seems to take a different rythm and speed. If I have a fast network, it seems just fine and I get all my hits. When I notice network lag, it seems that the swings simply donā€™t register.

WARRIORS!!

Test the minimum swing speed. Itā€™s actually pretty slow. I think thereā€™s something else going on here.

@Richard_A

Its weird how everyone is affected differently, for me left and right swings work perfectly, regardless if I swing from left to right or right to left and vice versa. It the upward swings that donā€™t register at all (maybe one of ten) and like yourself I have a really strong cable connection (60dl 30up) with 25 ms ping average at all times.

anyway I am looking forward to the changes and I hope they will make others want to play this class as, lord knows we need more warriors.

1 Like

Im glad there is a lot of discussion going on here!

However, since it is clear this is not a bug and has spiraled more into a suggestion/critique thread I would be ok with it being closed and moving the discussion to one of the other open threads about warrior suggestions.

1 Like

Arick_S we dont know yet if its a bug or a ā€œundocumented featureā€ and until its fixed, it would easier to have one thread going instead of having multiple ones?

As noted in the Patch Thread, thereā€™s a new patch out now which adjusts the hit detection so it should be much more reliable at detecting upward swings, and I also lowered the speed required to register a strike just a tad more. I think itā€™s in a pretty good place now, but let me know what you all find in your own testing.

If you have been playing just now, be sure you fully restart your Steam client to force it to update.

4 Likes

I just tried out some fighting and it is insanely hard to kill anything. I need to swing my sword almost as fast as I can and the hit detection is super frustrating, and not with only upswings anymore.

The warrior swing speed feels perfect now!! Awesome work Riley and I really appreciate you taking the time to hear out the community and push out updates this fast. Amazing job.

2 Likes

did you make sure the latest patch today was updated on steam?

(Moved your post over Kailus so I can try and just keep all the discussion about this in one place).

Well, itā€™s interesting that thereā€™s two different perspectives on this. Can you be more specific about what youā€™re experiencing, Sean? As in, did you play on it yesterday and youā€™re saying it feels harder to you today after the patch? Or is this the first time youā€™ve played since the original patch on Monday?

@Riley_D wow!! what a difference, everything feels so natural now, much easier and fluid!

You really donā€™t appreciate something until its taken away, but now its back and smoother than ever!

Thank you so much for everything, hopefully everyone else is happy with the changes, I know I am!

This feels worlds different, and also upswings register regardless of position in the hitbox like other swings, thank you!

Just finished the dungeon near wenderwood, tanked the whole lot of it, bosses, spiders, sprites, and dragons, so a large swath of different hitboxes and had no unreasonable trouble registering hits or combos. Matter of fact it was probably the most successful Iā€™ve been able to string up combos under pressure since I began the class. I was pretty physically spent at the end of it, but I canā€™t rightly say that I had to swing hard vs. I chose to swing hard. YMMV with regards to the swing speed. Swing direction was spot on across the board, save the final boss. I found I had to swing at the base of his feet to get the upswings to work properly. Any higher and the upswings would not register at all. But finding that and having adjusted I managed quite well with the new system over all.

I havent played(well combat atleast, done some fishing/alchemy/selling) since last week so im not sure what the difference between today and Monday is, just commenting on how sword swinging felt today. I am not sure I fully restarted my computer/Steam since I updated with the new patch today so Ill log back in in a few minutes and give combat another go.

be sure to restart steam for the updates

Glad to hear itā€™s working well for most folks! I will keep working on some other Warrior improvements as well but I wanted to get that out the door ASAP.

3 Likes

Okay I tried it out again and its definitely better than my first test. The upswing still missā€™ now and then and I think the minimum swing speed required to hit could be lowered but its definitely better.

swings seem to be very confusing at timesā€¦ provoke seem to be most affected for me. many times I hit a provoke and do it 3 times after perfectly yet I donā€™t get the purple effect. I can see the hits perfectly registering on my screen. this was at a boss tho and I didnā€™t lose agro so it could be possible that its just a visual bug.

After some tests on a variety of mobs, so far I can say things are noticeably different now.

• Normal, humanoid type mobs are now even easier to vertical and is more consistent now.
  • Smaller, short creatures such as wolves, spiders, and worms, seem to have no change and only seem to register consistently if you lower your vision to be more in plane with the target. Otherwise verticals and horizontals have a tenancy to be errors every few swings unless executed flawlessly. (So not really any change there)
  • Larger, taller creatures such as Elk, are noticeably more difficult to perform combos on now. Before the patch, fighting these creatures was chaotic but once you found the sweet spot for distance and aimed high for the head your hits would register correctly. Now, each hit at any range is inconsistent enough to almost be considered random.

All in all itā€™s an improvement but larger creatures seem to be a bit of a wrench in the system. In several tests I simply swung the sword side to side back and forth and got different slash directions almost every swing. I even got some footage of Left > Up combos registering as Up > Up repeatedly at slightly different ranges. The worst offenders so far has been the Snow Elk in the Frosted Spit. (Havenā€™t tested the Moose yet)