Wilds Loot Chest Revealed!

My bad I taught you said we had done it before today. But yeah we didn’t get that one so no reason for us to log out…

And before that you have seen us keep the gentlemen agreement and fight for the exit without logging out.

lol, I tried to attack you, but you ran away. I really hope you guys didn’t exploit the shard by having one of your members log off with it. That would be a pretty shitty thing to do, especially since the devs already tried to put a stop for it.

So, a few things:

1. Currently the way the game mechanics work, getting the loot in the chest makes you a bandit. The bandit system does not make you a bandit though if you pick up the loot from a bandit, so if someone killed the original looter and picked up the loot, they would not be a bandit, and would be able to log out pretty quickly assuming it’s mass confusion and no one is attacking them. Not saying a chance does/doesn’t need to be made there, but that’s how it currently works. So please stop PM’ing me accusing people of cheating the system or something like that.

2. When we put the chest in the game, I honestly had no idea how the community would react to it. Maybe people would care, maybe they wouldn’t. Maybe it would be a few people showing up to fight each other for it. I really didn’t expect it to turn into a massive 20v20 PvP battle or something like it has. I’m glad the community is really interested in this type of PvP and we will certainly be taking that info going forward and making some changes to accommodate that, but please keep in mind, it’s not like we set out to build a 20v20 PvP battle area or something from the get-go. I’m all for things evolving and I think as the Dev Team part of our job is observing what the community is doing, and responding to it and all that. But obviously we can’t do that overnight and we don’t know what needs to be done until we see how people react to things when they’re put into the game.

Finally, we’ve said this several times already, but personally attacking and calling people out on the forums is simply not going to be tolerated, and if these threads continue to devolve into that, we will be issuing bans. If you want to have those type of discussions, take it elsewhere.

5 Likes

If requested (and if the devs are willing), I’d be happy to submit videos to the devs of every shard we’ve acquired to prove that at no point did any of our shard carriers log out in the wilds to hide the reward.

3 Likes

Just my 2 cents, but I think the whole 20v20 was because other than EK and Nox, no one knew what was inside the chest (though I could be wrong), and everyone was trying to at least figure out the content

2 Likes

Those epic battles were pretty great. I’m a little sad it sounds like there will be less interest now.

3 Likes

There’s no reason to prove that, because logging out in the Wilds is allowable according to the game mechanics. There is a 30 second logout timer when you are not a Bandit. If 30 seconds goes by and you don’t attack anyone and no one attacks you, you are logged out. We are considering adding additional restrictions to that, but that’s how it works right now.

If some folks consider that unsportsmanlike, that’s totally fine, that’s your call. But as I said, it’s not cheating to logout in the game when you are allowed to logout.

8 Likes

I agree with you, though for most of the players it’s not worth to spend that amount of time for a shard, also at this point I don’t think the legendary weapons are that huge of an improvement, the only difference is the one extra affix. The only reason it could make a difference if a DPS got some nice affixes on the weapon, but it’s still not a huge difference imo

As it is now, this system ensures that people don’t actually have to engage in PvP to get the PvP loot. This is very uncompelling and turns the PvP chest into something that is more akin to a contest to see who can grab a bag the fastest rather than a PvP event.

In order to combat this, at the very least, it seems like whoever has the loot should be clearly and visibly marked until the loot makes it out of the wilds. This should happen even if the loot is picked up from a player’s bag. This will encourage people to group up and actually fight.

1 Like

For this all I can say that the chest is called Trickster chest :wink: it might have a reason :slight_smile:

Edit: even though I wouldn’t log out with it as I agree with you that it’s not sportsmen behaviour

1 Like

Imagine this:

Instead of dropping the loot directly, the chest drops a “flag.” When a player has the “flag” in their inventory in the wilds, they are surrounded by a glowing beam, and carry a giant flag on their back. If they successfully make it out of the wilds, they can turn the flag in for loot in highsteppe or guild city. Anytime someone loots the flag from the original chest, or a player bag, they are forced into bandit status for five minutes.

5 Likes

I think the best way to deal with this is to make it so that if you can’t logout in the wilds and if you crash or force-crash your body just sits there or you drop all your loot until you come back. If you happen to crash you can log back in and get your loot.

2 Likes

So you would want to turn the whole thing into a huge capture the flag event? I can understand why you would recommend this, though to would go against how the whole system works, and I personally wouldn’t like it this way

It already is a capture the flag event, except there’s no visibility into who has the flag.

Why is that? If I’m in the wilds, I would never log out… Worst case I will die and lose my tradable items, so what?

I say the devs should over stress about it, It is working well enough and they have other real problems and cool content to work on. I say leave it as is and add a PvP project to your to do list, which sounds like they are doing. Stay the course devs, you have done great.

Realize that these endgame thread represent a very small part of the community.

1 Like

thing is, this is the pvp project. there has not been a update to pvp since alpha when they first added the arena.

2 Likes

Yeah, this!!! I think it would be great to have an option to do some large scale pvp with some better reward at the end :slight_smile:

Maybe a good solution to this problem would be to add a 5 minute bandit timer to whoever acquires the chest loot even if they aren’t the first person?

That way you can’t pick it up, become bandit, die to pass it off, then have your ally pick it up and log. Or any variation of passing it off while in the wilds in an attempt to bypass the bandit stage.

5 Likes

It would seem like this would go a long way towards improving the current situation where PvP isn’t actually necessary for contesting the loot.

The more I think about it, however, the more I realize that even something like this won’t work.

With the bandit system non-bandits could just zerg the loot-holder from a nearby graveyard while the loot-holder is forced to either evade (again, avoiding PvP) or take on an increasingly large bounty/duration.