30 hours in - some thoughts and suggestions

I’m still thoroughly enjoying the game at level 11, but I do see many areas where the game could be greatly enhanced. Many of these improvements seem relatively minor, but would nevertheless greatly alleviate confusion and tedium for both new and experienced players alike.

-Add a journal page describing how stats affect our characters. Also, some additional information in the character sheet regarding how much of a benefit we’re getting from our stats would be helpful to know. For example, I’m using a sword right now with 199 attack and +61 strength, yet there’s no indication of how much of a damage increase I’m getting from that strength. The opaque nature of stats in this game occasionally makes it a headache to compare equipment and select what’s best.

-Level-based gear caps (especially for armor) also seem very opaque. Is armor subjected to the same level-based caps as weapons are? Numbers-wise, how do the caps work? This information doesn’t seem to be available anywhere, but it really should be.

-An improved map that shows the player’s current location would be quite nice. Most MMORPGs I’ve played have this feature, and having it in this game would make it easier to find where your party is, where you are, and how to reach your destination. Relying on signs and the compass feels like a throwback to DayZ. :stuck_out_tongue:

-Improve hit boxes for certain enemies so that it’s easier to land combos on them as a warrior. Many enemies, such as bees and wyverns, are a headache to deal with because their hit boxes make it extremely difficult to reliably land Wound combos, which is where much – if not most of – our DPS comes from.

-Consider increasing warrior DPS while using small shields, or make the DPS talent tree significantly more viable. Even with a great weapon, I feel like it’s easy for rangers and runemages to out-DPS me, even though I’m taking the Berserker talents and using my small shield. Alternatively, scrap and re-work the Berserker tree and add two-handed weapons or a dual-wield mechanic.

-Nerf healer mobs in the overworld. It’s understandable to have to deal with powerful healers in dungeons, but enemies in the open world are a tedious headache to kill.

-Nerf poison mobs in the overworld. Poison attacks seem to bypass warrior shields, which puts warriors at a huge, crippling disadvantage against certain mobs while soloing. I can’t tell you how frustrating it is to try soloing spiders as a warrior due to the insane damage of poison.

-Make dungeon running a little more lucrative. I can’t speak from experience regarding shard dungeons, but ordinary dungeons like the one in Wenderwood aren’t really worth doing. The loot sucks and the XP is meh.

-Consider adding mounts. Traversing the world becomes rather tedious when you have to go back and forth between areas numerous times, so having some way to speed that up would be wonderful.

-A few more quests would be nice to help alleviate the need to grind mobs constantly in order to level. In fact, many settlement areas in the game world feel empty or placeholder-ish, so adding some more NPCs and quests would be awesome.

I’m sure there’s more I could think of, but that’s all I can come up with off the top of my head. I’m enjoying the game so far and I look forward to reaching the level cap, but there’s a lot that can be improved, especially for newer players.

5 Likes

As far as I know as a level 20 there are no gear level caps. I can take a level 1 to a level 20 place and they can get level 20 gear and wear it at level 1: my level 10 warrior has a few pieces of level 19 gear

It’s about the immersion; the map is not magical and the game is set in a medieval type of time. Modern maps that show location are out of question and while you could right it off as magic, i personally don’t feel it fits the style of the game

Warrior is not ment to be dps. The warrior class is meant to be a tanking class who tanks all the damage at high levels and should not be specing in dps talents over survivability. The recommended warrior talents are Righteousness, spiked shield, intimidate, and blessing of might

While this is a problem for warrior the rest of classes are fine; ive been able to take on poison red enemies with my warrior because i have the right specs for my level: Righteousness, spiked shield, intimidate, and blessing of might are the right talents; i have the first 2

In this thread: Mounts and locomotion Riley_D has already commented on this.

Continuing the discussion from The painful level 19 - Worms, Tipps, and, please more lvl 20 mobs :)!:

Riley_D has already commented on this as well saying that 18-20 is in necropolar quests, the main story is what you should complete to get to level 20.

The rest of your points I have not mentioned are points I agree with. I hope that my comment has helped you!

There is however a cap to how much you benefit from wearing high level gear on a low level character. I believe this was the intention of the original question.

This is a highly subjective matter, and there are several threads discussing the pros and cons

I was in necropolar yesterday at level 18, and was not offered any quests from the sole quest giver located there. I admit i did not recheck if he had quests to offer after dinging 19 there as i felt the mobs were getting too low level in general except for 1 specific pack.

The Necropolar quests are mainly part of the main story. There’s a quest chain of like 5-6 quests that can give you around 2-3 levels there. There is one side quest as well but it might be unlocked through the story too.

Yes but it does reduced damage.

Then give me a spy glass and let me “mark myself” on the map. They had maps and methods of navigation etc in the medieval period. it doesn’t break immersion at all. Its just not done right. Also your telling me they have a magical book and compass and flying ship. But don’t know how to update maps???

Its not? great then just remove talent trees all together. Make all the classes only do one thing. That makes for great gameplay and immersion.

I have found this is heavily gear dependant. Balance in this game is way off. Unless you call getting a level 20 to get you a level 20 weapon balanced…

I am not sure mounts are the answer. But any type of improved travel would be nice. The main problem is the poor quest design that uses travel time as a barrier of quest completion

Going from one end of the map to the other end and back is not good quest design.

This, so much this. Also, i was about to respond to @Mathieu_D about the exact same. My response would have been something like:
“Ah, thats why i haven’t found quests in the Necropolar. I am lvl 19, but still on the faction hero part of the story quests. Mostly because the story quests (and quests in general) feel more like a walking/exploring simulator rather than getting a bit of action as part of a quest. And i must admit after 20 years of RPGs i have just about had my fill with quests in general, especially if they are for immersion/story rather than progression aka time taken versus just going grinding”

We definitely appreciate and understand the feedback regarding questing (and other stuff). I can’t comment on it more than generally, but I can say we’re definitely taking it to heart. :slight_smile:

I agree with all of OP’s original suggestions.

Also tired of hearing people make excuses for Warrior. If its not meant to do damage, why is there a damage talent tree? Warriors with damage talents should be out-damaging ranged classes, seeing as how they are in the worst position to be in by default. Not to mention they only have a handful of skills, of which you’re only using usually 2-3 in any given fight.

If we’re not allowed to know where we are on the map “cuz immersion”, then take the airships and guns out of the game. Or admit this isn’t a medieval game and stop saying it is when it clearly isn’t.

Cant say anything about warriors, exept I have yet to meet one who does not sound like they are about to die IRL after a couple fights… :joy:

But map aint really hard, bring it out, flick to the one you think you are in and make a guess :+1:

Everything is suposen to die anyway and you got road-signs… admitts thou, I dont use the map that often, I just give vague hints on how I walk :smirk: and track down team once they pop into my compass.

The airship is a blimp, and really it is a wooden boat on a big balloon with slow propellers. The guns are actually a weird thing. They aren’t modern guns they actually have a lore, you can find it explained in a thread somewhere. They are a mixed invention of the Janist craft and something else.

Then there is the question of where the map would be. It won’t be in the players view, as a HUD. Thus far no information is displayed as such. Your health, stamina, ultimate, or other game info is displayed elsewhere and not in front of your field of view.

Okay the journal might be a place to display it but that is also a project onto itself. There are somewhat logistical reasons of making the journal able to display dynamic information that changes in real time.

One should also take into account what is also lost from adding in a dynamic map as such. A map wont make you move faster so it wont address any issues with travel time. Once you are out of the quest line doing more consistent things you will no longer need a map and have what you do more or less known. And having a map won’t make you move faster from place A to B when at end game. Are there problems with getting lost as you are trying to reach level 20?

To address the things pointed out here. A compass allows you to find your own party by pointing to you where members of the party are, and even your tombstone. It is not perfect, mainly because of mountains at times, but a map doesn’t always convey inaccessible areas due to height, worst yet it wont show your parties location so would it actually help you get them?

There should be a conniving persuasion of what adding dynamic maps to the game would do. Along with a reminder of what would be lost if adding them to the game. Reasons such as other other games do it might not be sufficient. Most other first person (shooter?) games have a HUD but OrbusVr and its developers are choosing not to have it. They are trying to differentiate themselves as being a VR MMO and testing the waters.

The map can stay in your book, it just needs indicators for you and your party. This is one of those things that makes or breaks games in my opinion. DayZ was literally the biggest piece of garbage for this reason.

If a game has multiplayer, then it needs a way easily for friends to play together. In this regard Orbus almost failed , well basically did fail.

Get you and three friends to create an account and log in. Now try and group up. If it takes more than 15 minutes something is wrong. I think on the free weekend I had to spend almost half an hour finding my one friend. I couldn’t imagine coordinating with more.

The zones are instanced, he was in another instance.
You can’t create a party unless he is nearby and or in the same instance.
There is no Steam or Oculus friends list invite option.
You can’t talk to him in another instance.
You can’t ask him where he is in the game, or to try and meet you in another less populated zone because he has no map or point of reference.
You have to leave VR to use your phone or computer to communicate.
He has to leave VR to communicate with you.
So you create a LFM group and ask him to find that , after you google this problem.
He has to try and figure out the UI, Find your group then accept.
Now you are in a group but still have no clue where each other are or what instance
You now have to google again
You find out you need to leave the zone and come back and or use your compass as a mic and pray.
Now finally you have a chance to find one another and maybe start playing.
Which usually results in their death and us never playing this game again.

See the point?

1 Like

To be fair now, there is in no way you can compare DayZ to anything, that was a an attempt of recreating real life with some 28 days infected combo, wich was awsome :grin:

Sadly no, dont see your point since I spend that weekend learning how to sling spells,… the allmost entire weekend, last day I got my Fellowship up, and currently lvl with one of my minions… underlings…Fellow’shippers?:joy:

Heard rumor about this ”instance” thing, not experienced it, and we do start out in Highsteppe or somewhere so we can get lost together.

Even dying helps you orient you know, Cementarys are at towns and your compass has an arrow for north, simple deduction is enough for map orientation, and communication helps party get together, and if all fails, request aid from a bypasser usually helps.

Edit: This was a continuation of Mike_F’s post, but CaineHollow posted in between :wink:

^ All of which could be solved with the simple additions of:

• Look up player by (typed) name -> options to message/invite/friend/etc
  • List players by zone/instance. Most mmorpgs these days has that as a standard /who command in their chat interface
  • Show dot/arrow/marker/whatever on map (doesn’t matter if it is the journal or something else) of player, group, raid (with toggles). Also a standard mmorpg feature these days.

Away with the tedium part, onwards with the fun part. Which when all things are said and done is what games are about, regardless of their setting.

There is a reason old school mmorpgs didn’t have some of these features (although even most of the oldest ones had both a lookup and a direct message functionality) and that they pretty much all have them today. The reason being that it was good for business as players liked having them more than not having them.

• While we are at it, add clear markings to the compas-phone to immediately show exactly what setting it is on rather than remembering which color is which (color blind people are only 1 of many reasons) and do away with any confusion regarding color changes when it is or is not close to the players face for input.

Voila! Orbus would suddenly grow both in new (as well as old) player fun on top of having taken some of the major steps in evolution its predecessors already have.

Edit 2:
Let me just expand on the standard /who command syntax that pretty much all mmorpgs ive played the past 20 years have:

/who player/all zone(optional) level(optional) levelrange-levelrange(optional) class(optional)

Some of them have had small variations in the syntax, but overall they’ve pretty much had the same functionality. Because. It. Just. Works.

1 Like

I have feeling that addining a friends name on distance would solve moste of his issues, since making party through friendlist is there, after that it is just locating eachother left with simple communication.

and or just get rid of the instancing.

While i haven’t experienced (knowingly at least) instancing of open world zones myself, i would guess that it happened due to being more than the normal amount of players in the zone at the time. Which in turn will bog down performance in some form or another without said instancing.

In short, instancing is there to make sure everyone has a good smooth experience. Which is especially necessary and true if/when Orbus gets “proper” succes and explodes in player count.

And lets be real here, that is something that all developers dream about since it means they are doing something that players enjoy which at the same time ensures bread on their tables as well as a future for their game as well as their career within that game.

1 Like

Now we are talking!

I agree these are some things that could be worked on. A better friends UI system for inviting and talking with them, in-game.

However, not be mean, but a map doesn’t solve most of those problems :sweat_smile:
There is a leap from the problems and what the solution should be >.<

It is also a VR tittle. They are even more prone in trying to ensure smooth frame rates. The first time I went to a world boss my screen kept loading and going grey and couldn’t play. It also felt weird because my body/hands felt slower. Now the problem may very well be the graphics card, but it may also be network, or CPU…but that is somewhat besides the point.

In order for the game to be accessible and playable, there needs to be an instance of zones.

True but having a map helps. Also it’s just good for new players to be able to navigate and find them selves before they memorize the map. Also my main reason is because no matter what when I play this game it’s always night and navigating the desert at night is a nightmare

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.