AOE not doing any damage past 35m or so

I received this report from someone via PM:

AOEs beyond 35m roughly do no damage to players. So this has been a long standing issue on all long range AOEs (the rectangular ones) and now include raid bosses.

Examples:

1. Corrupted Stags
  2. Sentry Boss
  3. Raid boss 1, 4, 5
  4. Potion Keeper

For example on potion keeper, people can stand on the far side and not take damage during the triple line AOE phase, then run over to the box.

Anyone have additional info on this? It’s the first I’m hearing about it. I assume this means the long AoE attacks like the Raid Boss 1 attack, if you stand in the corner of the room and have the long AoE attack go to the fire, it doesn’t actually do damage?

Draven pointed that out in the bug list we mentioned for hard mode. We mentioned it for boss 4. Didn’t realize you could do that on boss 1 and 5, but makes sense. I would fix that so people can’t skip/cheese that mechanic. That would make the fight a bit easier.

I don’t think I have ever realized it has to do with the length of the AoE before…

Do we know what the cutoff on this is, then? Is it like just the very edge of the AoE? Or is it really always 35m regardless of how long the AoE is? Because some of those AoE’s are like 70m long…

Occasionally, the aoe generated by lashak’s don’t do damage as well. And the stags aoe isn’t a range issue, I can be standing right in front of it and avoid damage. (most of the time)

Not sure if each boss the cut off range ends up being different or not but it for sure happens on multiple ones. But there are also issues with the backs of the AoE’s as well, when you try to dodge bacj behind the boss and are still hit by it while being out of the shown AoE. Boss 1 in the raid being what I’ve noticed to be the worse. You can be completely out of the AoE and it will still hit you, boss 4, and 5 all the same as well. It seems to be an issue with the rectangle AoE’s in general.

1 Like

Probably a factor of all the other aoe issues. Damage not matching the red indicator. On certain enemies and bosses you learn where the safe spots are regardless of the visual.

As far as I can tell it’s 36m+ is safe, I have only ever tested that on Boss 5 of the raid though so can’t say for the other boss’s AoE. I looked at the little number on the bow as that indicates the distance, generally stay around 40m away in case of the tank needing to move the boss however firing at that distance for +/-15min straight becomes quite tiring

There is also still issues with the AoE’s hitting behind the boss where there has been no red marker though, seen it most on boss 4 on normal mode

Yeah, I think since most players do sentry up close by default, you can hose yourself on potion keeper if you end up on the opposite side of where the box spawns, and the corrupted stags close the distance super quickly, this issue has been around but not super impactful until the raids, where you have a large number of players in a large combat space for extended periods of time.

If you fix this issue on Boss 5 of the Raid to be like 70m long then there is no way to avoid being killed from coming back from the portals.

Currently the Boss sometimes will even target a person in hell so are we expected to except the fact that we could get a load screen coming back and die from the AoE? Sure you can say that the portals are in the same area so there is no loading but what if portal person 1 comes back 1st and then portal person 2 comes back seconds later and dies immediately to the AoE?

Currently we tank the boss far enough so the 35+ range doesn’t affect the one’s spawning from the portals.

With the right strategy, this can be avoided significantly, we never really had a problem with that once we changed our strat around.

This never happened to me, but I believe this happened to a member of our party. We developed a strat around this that seems to work pretty well. It would probably make sense to have the person that comes out of hell have a 1-2 second immunity from the aoe.

1 Like

Completely agree. 20char.

1 Like

And when they go into it, due to the rare weirdness of it showing up in hell.

Are the aoe bug fixes for hard mode bosses going in tomorrow as well?

I haven’t tried it myself, but I’ve seen the potion keeper thing awhile back. On Potion Keeper there’s at least one sweet spot at the overlapping edge of the center AOE and the right-side AoE. Standing there will cause neither AoE to kill the player. Of course the big center-of-the-room aoe still kills the player if they don’t move.

I haven’t dared try it myself, since I don’t want to die, but I could try finding it with unbending or something.

The opposite side of the coin, I’ve been killed by the worm world boss while very, very, very clearly outside of the AoE by like an arms-length. I wasn’t exiting the AoE either, I was already outside of it and safe… #rage.

I’ve heard speculation that a player’s hit box is somehow tied to the size of their play-space. You would know best I assume. That is, a smaller playspace = a smaller hitbox, vice-versa. Not sure if that’s true.
(Riley’s answer below:)

The player hitbox is the same regardless of your play space size.

The AoE change will not be going out today, as it’s going to require more time to work on then just 24 hours unfortunately.

Will you also be fixing the hard raid boss 1 AoE? It hits you even when outside of that AoE.

I am planning to totally re-work how the “line charge” AoEs work, since they don’t seem to work very consistently 100% of the time right now, which should also fix that problem, too.

1 Like