Beta Performance Feedback

Performance has been good while I was playing.

Great work.

Having a lot of lag and framerate hits, especially right after engaging with mobs. The lag also seems to get steadily worse the longer you play without crashing/relogging. A couple people found that switching from low to high actually improved framerate performance, but even that eventually seemed to get chugged down and need a reset. It’s a little hard to get a full sense of the overall performance due to other issues that may or may not be related to it, such as a 2 second delay when aggroing multiple mobs, frequent desynchs, zoning anomalies, etc.

My PC (just for reference in regards of performance):

• CPU: Core i7 5820K @ 6x 3600 Mhz with Hyperthreading (12 Threads)
  • RAM: 16 GB DDR4 - 4x4 GB Quadchannel
  • GPU: Geforce RTX 2080 ti - 11 GB OC version
  • Storage: 2x 256 GB Samsung Evo 850 (Raid 0)
  • Board: MSI X99 SLI
  • VR: Oculus Rift CV1 + Touch controllers, 3 Sensor 360° roomscale setup
  • Beta Client Version: v1.3.4 (10.11.2018 01:00 a.m. gmt+1)

Performance:

• I had the ingame settings on “Ultra”. I didnt see an impact when switching the graphics from low to ultra. (It looks like nothing is happening at all since the GPU stays at the same load for every setting) The textures were always very bad with low resolution/detail. Maybe its a bug or it wasnt implemented in this early stage of the game.
  • When I run Reborn for the first time, created my character and then joined in the world, I had suddenly very low fps. I restarted my whole mashine, disabled supersampling and tried again. The issue was gone. Another test later with supersampling 1.5x was successful with stable 90 fps.
  • The beta zone in Reborn compared to Highsteppe in original Orbus seems to run smoother and use less ressource on the GPU. There might be a performance gain of around 50% but this is only a rough estimation from the tests I was able to do. I tested with 1.5x supersampling at 90 fps. In Highsteppe in original Orbus I have 0-10% headroom GPU performance. In the beta zone of Reborn, I have around 40-50% headroom. Attention: I was only able to test with “low” settings in both clients since the beta client is unable to deliver high quality textures at the moment. Maybe someone else has better knowhow and tools to benchmark this properly.

Update with newest Beta Client version from now:

• I am also on newest Nvidia Drivers and until yesterday, I had the exact same bugs with the inventory as in the screenshots above. Now with the newest update, the inventory slots are not black anymore but my nickname is still super scaled covering the whole character window (like in the screenshots above) and all menu layouts in the options panel are still broken so that you have to scroll down a lot to find the next button in the interface.

• I found out, that the content of the “version” file in RebornLauncher Folder is not updated even after an update. I guess it would make sense to show the correct Beta Version number somewhere obvious so that people can reference to that.

Can you take a screenshot of that so I can see it? Thanks!

Hi Riley, sure, there you are!

Okay, so there’s basically a ton of “padding” at the top of the screen then you have to scroll past? Is it only happening on that Graphics tab or every tab?

All tabs are effected and its not only a padding at the top but also a huge top and bottom padding around every button and textline.

This also applies to the party invite/friend invite/ressurect popups.

1 Like

Okay, and you had the issue previously with the menus not working at all, correct?

Is there anyone else who had that issue that is seeing this padding? My guess is something still isn’t getting parsed correctly.

The menues always were at least functional for me but since my first start of the beta client I am seeing this huge padding issue. I am also not alone with this issue, in my guild literally everyone has the same behaviour of the menu display.

I already saw, that you fixed for example the issue with equipment breakdown. This was as far as I can tell the only button that was absolutely unreachable until this update.
The quest accept/trade in buttons were also off but could be clicked on an alternative location (had to figure out where you have to point to actually “hover” the button). This has also been fixed.

Your recent changes dramatically improved the usability allready. Great job!

Is your locale of your computer set to something different than US/English? If so what is it it set to? I am going to try and set up my computer up the same way so I can hopefully reproduce these bugs.

This is the server lag we seem to be getting on the beta, it’s like the other video I posted of the current game but much worse on the beta

Right yeah compared to your other video since it is all happening at once like that I think it is definitely much more likely server-side lag.

Yes, my PC and probably the PC of everyone else in my guild is set to German since we are a German guild. I found the locale option on my PC changed it, rebooted, but that change seems to take its time. Still waiting for completion.

This is the exact issue Tiago, Shiki and me posted about in other thread… menus are there, only way down and scroll bar barely working, huge padding everywhere. I also provided screenshots on same thing happening with You are dead note.

(I am also using a german keyboard layout and set my decimal separator to period in between, it brought no changes).

Okay sorry I must have missed that thread. Noted.

I played from about 6pm to 10pm CST last night. I had started on low and it was a bit jittery, but not impossible. I assumed it was due to how many people were on. About an hour in I hit ultra just to see what it would do (fully expected to make things worse or crash) but it was buttery smooth and just perfect. I never noticed any sound issues between players talking in game. At first I thought the runemage default was lend-a-hand, and it took me a little bit to figure out that was why my spells were going crazy. So then I was casting and dancing under the stars to get used to it. Ran into runemages later that said, no, it isn’t lend-a-hand… and we realized that the spells were all right handed despite which hand the wand was in. So I moved my wand to my right hand, yup, that was it! Then after a minute moved it back left anyway, and somehow it resolved itself. On occasion a spell would stick to my wand, then go flying but the mob wouldn’t be in the same place like my vision had “skipped a beat.” I never crashed nor relogged for anything.
My computer is in “US Spanish” and it seems this version doesn’t have the issues that EU Spanish is having.

So this has been pretty consistent now, I’ll be playing for about 15-20min and my frame rate will start to reduce to around 45, after around 30min it will become as low as 20-25 fps this can be sorted by changing graphics to low then back to ultra but it’s happening in every play session as far as I can remember

Did you change something? Just played for over an hour without this happening

Scratch that, seems to be happening again, maybe was only dropping during day time? Not sure, will keep an eye on it

3 Likes

Okay, let me know if you notice any correlations. We’ve seen it happen on our end as well, no idea what’s causing it, makes no sense to me, haha.

On the first day there was a period where I had an average of around 30 fps but I got the updated launcher and that seemed to fix it. From there on I almost always was running the game at 90 fps on ultra and had no performance change between low settings and ultra.

2 Likes

The perfomance was great on this test! Didn’t have a single crash, not even the stuck in loading while changing instance (tried many times join and leave the house, never happened), which is MUCH faster to load in reborn (only 3-5 seconds vs the many seconds i have to wait in old orbus).
Only thing i had was the same issue of everyone else with low frame rate with the quick fix of switching graphic (which just like the instances, was much faster in reborn).