Deep Wounds Is Killing My Shard Fun

I really hate deep wounds. So does every person I run shards with. It is not a fun mechanic at all. I see FAR less turnout for shard runs on weeks when deep wounds is in effect. I cannot stress enough how much I dislike this mechanic. I hope to god I don’t see any more of it in raids. Please keep in mind that it seriously makes running shards an absolute chore.

You should have heard the collective groan in Discord when we discovered we have another damn week of this crap. I can’t be the only one that had this exact thing happen.

3 Likes

ugh we have deep wounds again? how boring.

Save our souls

on a serious note it might help to say why it feels like a chore with deep wounds. I can note atleast 3 reasons:

1. it is impossible to get best time scores with it.
  2. In combination with poison, it is impossible to heal a player up in time (or NEARLY impossible).
  3. It can be easily missed and players will most of the time call it when it is too late for any skilled healer to bring the player back up to full health.

If you combine 1,2 and 3 together, we have a sensation of RNG disappointment.

1 Like

Deep Wounds probably will be included in some Raid mechanics because I think it is an excellent heal and coordination check in general. However, we had already noted internally that we need to add some kind of very visible effect when someone gets it so that the healer can know to take care of it.

For now I have removed it from the Shard Rotation. That’s going to randomly change what is active this week, but there are a lot of major mutations that haven’t been seen yet and I’d rather a) see some new ones show up hopefully (although I have no idea what they are now since it’s random) and b) we’ll wait to put it back in until we get that VFX in with it.

4 Likes

I hope that will help… it just needs to be the right balance between player skill and mechanic difficulty for it to not feel like a game of russian roulette. Thanks for replying to the thread!

Our souls have been saved

Agree. It is too potent. Perhaps if it was lowered a bit

1 Like

How is it a coordination check when Deep wounds procs on the second tic of poison? The player is boned at that point as Deep wounds tics when it lands. That player is just dead. No coordination can beat that. I don’t feel validated as a healer when it does manage to not kill the person its on as I know it was a just a roll of the dice that they lived. It takes so very few things (as indicated above by J) to make it just far to random.

I really hope you rethink bleed procs some. If they feel like this for riads, I doubt I’ll care much for raids at all.

Thanks for forcing a switch this week. Looking forward to seeing other affixes.

Raids are a little different than shard mutations because the fights are more tightly designed/controlled. Like you note, the main problem is really Deep Wounds + Poison, not just Deep Wounds. It may be we also need to add an exception to that so you can’t get it while Poisoned. But I don’t have any Raid plans to put Deep Wounds + Poison together anyway. If it were in a Raid, it also wouldn’t be a random mechanic that is just happening RNG. It would be like “every 30 seconds 2 people are going to get Deep Wounds so be prepared for that.” Which is a very different experience.

5 Likes

Thanks for the reply. That sounds more reasonable and tailored towards a skill check. Skill checks are super rewarding when we’re able to overcome them ect. The less RNG they feel the better.

1 Like

it may be bad but we are like warriors we find a way around it like the next week will be a different affix so no need to mop

actually making the deep wounds timing predictable in shard dungeons might be a great way to make it less RNG also.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.