First fishing quest - Is it supposed to be this hard? Wrong lake?

Hi All,

My friend and I both got he beginning fishing quest to make lures out of eyes and tongues, then get Sunfish for him by heading to his ‘favorite’ fishing spot which is the lake by the Chaos Portal.

I went through 2 lures, got one sunfish.
He went through more than 60 casts across his lures and got not even a single bite, like at all.

Is this normal, are we in the wrong spot?

Sounds like you were in the right spot, you’ll get sunfish bite on that lure too, you might need to cast the lure further out, fish scent attractors will help you get bites, especially the aged ones

Ya I think the amount o fish you catch without potions is rediculus. Definately for something as basic as a sunfish. In my opinion this should at least be increased for the beginning fish. Because expect beginners to not have aged fish scent potions.

4 Likes

i dont like the way lures are done in the first place. instead of having each piece of lure increase the chance a certain fish bites, each fish should have exactly one combination that they bite on (and dont bite on anything else). It is really annoying when you need x fish, which takes lures a,b,c, but then you end up catching y fish because it takes b, c, d and you are unlucky.

1 Like

Personally a big fan of this system
Makes figuring lures out fun, trying different combinations to find the best an experience
Also helps a variety of fish at once, which is great if your fishing to get fish for various needs (I spend a fair chunk of time fishing and potion making, so more than 1 fish type per lure can help alot)
Also makes choosing your fishing location important, you can usually keep the type of fish you hook to be more singular if your in a spot where only they will bite that lure type, or more diverse if at a lake with multiple that like your lure

I’m disappointed to hear that I needed to use a ‘aged scent potion’ to really find any success in the FIRST fishing quest? That is pretty ridiculous, the quest giver didn’t even mention that these potions existed. It’s a quest to show me how fishing works, they even give you lure,s but leave out the entire potion which makes it really doable?

eeesh . That’s pretty bad design for a teach me how to fish quest.

5 Likes

Fully agree. Starting fish should have a high bite rate even without potions.

2 Likes

While the new patch seems to address line breakage, I really think the following would help fishing be engaging:

the first quest and sunfish in general should have a high catch rate
add a second fishing quest to introduce attractant potions
Really the only fish that should be a serious struggle/require attractant are late game fish.

The first quest completely turned my friend and I off fishing, it was the opposite of enjoyable. Having it be a requirement to do stuff later in game is going to be a major bummer.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.