Free Weekend helped me decide on getting this game: I'm not

As a musket the gameplay is… well, slow. They’re healers, and with a combination of healing orbs you can more or less solo even group elites. I’d also like to point out that they most definitely don’t have longer range than an archer.

As an archer I can engage targets at 60m out, the maximum that an enemy will even attack at. Any farther and they simply reset. I’ve even managed to hit small class targets at 100m out.

One trick to playing with the bow is holding it sideways, not vertically. Think video game style rogue with shortbow stance.

The maps don’t show anything. They’re just that, maps. Paper maps, not a gps. It doesn’t take long at all to learn your way around the entire world, once you’ve spent some time at 20 you’ll know it like the back of your hand.

It also seems you haven’t even made it to unlocking the mage class, which is the most truly unique in Orbus. That said, if your posts above are any indication I’m not sure you’d enjoy it.

3 Likes

The beginning of the game is paramount for player retention. I find it strange that the first class explained to me by the tutorial NPC is the healing class of all things. I’m treating the healing class like a ranged DPS because I’m used to gunner classes doing ranged damage… not healing. I wouldn’t have so much issue with the map either if the fog wasn’t so close to me.

I’ve found that to be a commom misconception. It’s not exactly logical to think that the guy with the gun can ONLY heal, or that warriors can only tank. Rangers and Runemages are the game’s only dps classes.

1 Like

Also, wait. Fog? What fog? You mean the game’s draw distance? How far you can see?

Couple meters out on Ultra.

Are Rangers and Runemages advanced classes?

Please take a screenshot!

I’ve literally never heard of any fog in my time of playing lol

2 Likes

I’m not in-game currently, too irritated to get back in there. I’ll screenshot once I do though.

There aren’t advanced classes. Rangers use the bow. Runemages use a wand, but you don’t get the quest for that until a couple levels in.

You use a wand to draw runes in the air, and those runes (if drawn correctly, according to the arcane magics of whatever system determines that) trigger various spells.

It takes a LOT of practice. Most mages spend dozens of hours practicing each spell before they’re able to cast it without failing 50-90% of the time.

Oh, I thought Musket was the name of the class. Well alrightie, that’s pretty interesting. The prospect of making runes sound interesting, not going to lie. Reminds me of Eternal Darkness, making spells out of runes.

@Ezequiel_R can you tell us a little about what you’re looking for in an MMO?

Also wanted to mention that to the great pleasure of max level players, it seems like devs have paid more attention to end-game than on the leveling experience (although the story line quests get really cool around level 10). If it’s end-game content you’re after, shard dungeons have been a neat and compelling challenge, a new world boss is a week away, and ten man raids in just over a month. Orbus improves and adds content faster than the speed of light. It’s been highly rewarding to be part of the process.

1 Like

Muskets are the healers, using guns.
Rangers are dps, with bows.
Warriors are tanks, with sword/board
Runemages are dps, with wands.

Fishermen are fishermen… with fishing rods.

Currently those are the five classes in the game, though only four are for combat.

Ranger has a shorter range then musketears? Really? Have you tried pull your bow past the animation of a drawn bow?

1 Like

@Ezequiel_R you mentioned…

I assume you are talking about the current free weekend??? If so, you need more time in game to learn all the mechanics … thank god you haven’t tried runemage lol.

In any case, this game is meant to leave it to the player to use a compass and a sketched map to navigate the world… albeit not a physical ‘‘you are here’’ map it does get the job done. The other aspect is player interaction … ‘’ hey where can i find a ‘redtail’ … where is ‘Wenderwood’?’’ The game can’t hold your hand the entire way but the community will gladly assist you in your journey. Heck I’m usually on this site and the many discord servers looking for clues and asking for help. There are many games that have ‘‘companion apps’’ and usually other mmos have a chat function this one has a voice option and website.

As many have said they have hundereds of hours of gameplay here and that speaks volumes. The game is in its infancy and perhaps its not right for you yet but the community will be here should you like to give it another shot…

Also as a final thought… maybe a musketeer isn’t right for you???, I know a warrior is not right for me. I am a ranger and I find no flaws with the current knocking of arrows. I agree at this point based on what you said… that you need more time in game and need knowledge of how to play… ask for help while in game.

also heres a fellow new players post New player, Huge thank you to the dev team and community!

I actually think you like the game at least a bit, else you wouldn’t take the time to register and take time to discuss the bugs (and perhaps figure, if they are really some or not :wink: ).
Yes, the classes aren’t easy to learn - specially once you arrive at the hardest, which is the mage… -, so perhaps not for everyone, yet as many others said, most spend couple 100 hours in. If I scroll through my library, with most of the games I was done in a fraction of that time, even all of them together would not match the orbus playtime; and that considered the price is also ok.

Now, since there is some of your weekend left :slight_smile: : As a musketeer I think the right orb-routine is everything, for damage I’d recommend mainly poison at the beginning and perhaps frost orb, weakness isn’t really worth it imho.
I was also using the shield orb for leveling which blocks a ton of damage and keep up the renew HoT to heal me up; also you get talents later to make your turret even more powerful, should be fine to set it to dmg and only if you die often, to heal.

The Musk, if played correctly, does not really allow to die if you don’t get surprised by more than 1 mob; but likely you tried as a lvl 1 with no armor, so yes, getting your first 4 armor pieces - from drops when you kill something - is perhaps the hardest phase, but that should be done with in like an hour or less.
(And writing all this I feel like explaining things which apply to every mmorpg… there’s always a learning curve and people use outside sources to learn their classes and get most tips from others - in guilds -, as well, the fewest things are taught in the games itself).

As for so many MMORPGs the dungeon/endgame experience with groups is the best part (imo), perhaps even better than leveling. You will not arrive there in one weekend, likely, so yea it all takes time, but that is similar to lots of similar games in the genre.

(I wrote that in a hurry, edited typos out later :wink: )

I think what would be really helpful, especially as you are a game design student, is to suggest to the orbus team about what problems you have, why you feel these are problems and how to improve the on boarding experience for new players… I have racked up a lot of play time on this game (currently end-gaming it right now) but I also felt when starting that the only way to learn the game fast was to ask a lot of questions to a lot of people (I prefer to learn by experience than decipher walls of text, I get it).

Remember that, this is the first VR MMO actually scalable and in production. There is nothing else out there like this… This means that the Orbus team are constantly having to invent ways to onboard players in the VR world… It is not easy for them but they listen to their player base and do their best!

On this note however…
I guarantee you once you get the hang of the game it is extremely fun/addictive.

Catch me in game if you need a hand. IGN: J

4 Likes

I honestly get what you are saying here. I didn’t get the chance for a free weekend and couldn’t wait to buy the game. I purchased it for the full $40 and gave it a go. Unfortunately the first hours of gameplay were very disorienting (first VR game seriously played) and seeming as if I would get no where.

I logged off a bit disappointed and went straight to looking up how to get a refund. While doing this I stumbled upon the community and saw how responsive and fresh it was. That alone made me think of trying to hop on the game and learn a little more the next day. I liked it a bit more but it just wasn’t cutting it for me. At this point I reached the limit of gameplay for a refund. I continued my research and continued playing.

I chose to main the ranger class and as I played more, I got to see how amazing the community is. I got to experience an mmo that felt different and fresh because the VR experience.

All in all, this game has a community I haven’t seen anywhere because of how unique it is. It’s a game where you can be whatever you want to be if you put the time into it. If you take anything from this then it should be that the community is responsive and caring. I hope you give OrbusVR a good run before calling it quits.

6 Likes

I remember my first hours were pretty “meh” as well, but it grew on me.
For me, it kinda feels like auto attacking in other games, your character in general is pretty weak compared to other games flashy spells and abilities. Barely able to handle one monster…forget two… and healers? dream on, wait until they are super low level compared to you. (why are healer monsters not nerfed yet?)
Super abilities are nice, but recharge rate is far far too slow. I always save it as a backup and end up never using it.

But the game at this stage is well worth $40 for all the hundreds of hours of content out there, if you team up there is a lot of fun to be had. The devs add a lot more content in fast patches as well, I would recommend this game to anyone who likes MMO’s.

2 Likes

So to try and sympathize with new players. When I first bought and played this game I experimented with the various classes. I had no idea what I was doing, but it seemed interesting and fascinating. The lack of information that was “handed” to me was what kept me coming back. There was no, HOW TO PLAY and it just threw you in the mess of things. But the first couple times I played the game I couldn’t get into it. I wondered why leveling was so slow(Did not know the level cap). I couldn’t find my way to quests or any purpose. I ended up quitting for about a month. I came back to the game after a desire to player Ranger. After about an hour I met a group of players who ended up showing me the story quests and then we just partied for about 3 hours. After that I was hooked. I learned more from that group in a short time than I ever could have alone. I’m not saying to force new players to enjoy the game, just that maybe they haven’t found their niche yet. Best of luck to all new players joining!

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.