IDEA: Fortuneteller

Since release of reborn some players have been asking to ‘bring back original orbus’. So the thought to myself is why do players want to bring back the original game?. The original game was full of bugs, felt ‘clunkier’ and had less variety of activities.

Most of the reasoning I have read is:

• I miss the wilds zone
  • I miss being able to kill abberations
  • I miss being able to do the old dungeons

Looking at all these problems that players have I thought. How can orbus reborn bring an essence from the old game in to the new game?.

Introducing **Fortune Teller**

‘Before the destruction of the old world reigned evil of insurmountable proportions. Come to me and seek your fortune. Bring only your finest fortunes in return for my services.’

What does the fortune teller give you?
Upon exchange for your ‘finest fortunes’ the fortune teller will grant you clues to the whereabouts of a world wide mini-boss which is tuned be beaten by a team of up to 5.

What do mini-bosses look like and what is their behaviour?
Mini-bosses are designed to look like and behave like the evil from ‘before the destruction of the old world’. The mechanics from old mini-bosses and dungeon bosses once again are shown in the world.

What do mini-bosses give me in exchange for adventuring?
Everyone in the party gets a chance at a rare treasure drop or token that you can exchange back at the fortune teller after collecting a certain amount from mini-bosses

How often does a mini-bosses spawn
A mini-boss becomes available every 30 minutes and despawns after 20 minutes. A countdown timer is shown with time remaining once you have paid the fortune teller.

Are there any special types of mini-bosses
Yes, there are PvP only mini-bosses which can only be seen when you switch PvP on. Only 1 team can collect loot from PvP mini-bosses which means that you should be on guard for other groups of players when fighting over a PvP mini-boss. The fortune teller usually tells fortunes of mini-bosses once every 4 mini-bosses that spawn!

How does the fortune teller tell us about the mini-bosses location?
It would be boring if the mini-bosses location was too obvious! To make the location slightly cryptic, a mix of possible properties of different areas are applied. Here are some examples:

• Trees
  • Rocks
  • Water
  • Mage symbols
  • Enemy types
  • points-of interest such as statues.

Every quadrant on the map has a mix of all these properties. Stories can be generated for each quadrant in the map using these stories. For example, if the fortune teller read a fortune where the mini-boss spawned in hulthines basin, it might read:

‘Long ago stood walls’
‘Green life flourishes’
‘rivers run deep’

It would be down to you to explore and find the mini-boss before someone else does!

What would be the reward?

You tell me! Some cool stuff no doubt.

What about the progression element? Won’t we get bored after doing it a few times?
Once you have proven yourself against the easier mini-bosses, harder mini-boss tiers becomes available whereby you have to kill much harder mini-bosses that only the strongest of champions can handle!

Here is how the progression through loot scaling might look!

Tier 1 difficulty (shard+0)

• rewards low rarity items.
  • Kill 5 mini-bosses to unlock Tier 2 fortune tellings.

Tier 2 difficulty (shard+5)

• rewards low rarity + chance of medium rarity items.
  • Kill 10 mini-bosses to unlock Tier 3 fortune tellings.

Tier 3 difficulty (shard+10)

• rewards medium rarity items + chance of high rarity items.
  • Kill 15 mini-bosses to unlock Tier 4 fortune tellings.

Tier 4 difficulty (shard+12)

• rewards high rarity items+ chance of ultra rarity items.
  • Kill 20 mini-bosses to unlock a Title and/or mount.

Extrinsic motivation is always there to kill these mini-bosses as 1 items of each tier is tradable encouraging people to find a fight minibosses on a regular basis.

Cheers,

8 Likes

I really like this idea, plus… why not bring back the old dungeons to run normal +shard again? a lot of people really like the old dungeons and their mechanics.

This needs to happen now. Brilliant idea.

As much as I like the idea, I think it fails to fill the void in a lot of situations. Abberations in old orbus were the casual level 20 activities. They could be done solo, in small groups, or in large groups. In reborn, there aren’t really any interesting and repeatable solo/small group level 30 activities. Grinding, missions, and events aren’t challenging, while shards require a serious full party. There isn’t any middle ground. The fortuneteller would just end up falling in with shards as 5 man mediumcore-hardcore activities. There still needs to be a solution for 1-3 man parties to casually do more challenging (than grinding/events) endgame activities (abberations).

4 Likes

I love this idea, one of the best I’ve read, however, I feel that sadly this will never be implemented
I think the is a perfect way to fill in the part of the game that feels empty to me, abberations in the old game were one of the best parts about then game, they are unique enemy’s and should be taken on with a party. I think this is a great idea. however, bringing back old bosses, making many new bosses, adding entirely new mechanics into the game is alot of work. So It will never be implemented, but this would make it so I’m never bored. Plus having content for groups of 2-4 is 100% what this game needs

I may have to reinstall the game for that!

I would rather see the mount be super rare like the arcane mount, rather then 20 kills

I totally hear you and the intention is that smaller groups should be able to handle the mini-boss content (updated my original post to make that clearer)

I added to the specification of the idea allows smaller parties to get in on some challenging action. The difficulty of the mini bosses increases over time so this should appeal to new players as well as the more hardcore players as the shard 12 mini bosses should be tuned like hard mode raids kinda. You can attend a mini boss spawn by yourself or with a few people (tuned for 5 but still doable with 3).

It should fill the gap for smaller groups and give something for people to do all the time in much smaller groups and become a fantastic medium to meeting new players/friends (something which the game tries to do but never quite nailed).

1 Like

The problem with ALL the loot in the game is that it’s all chance based at the moment (Apart from the goblin which I go to regularly it’s literally the only thing other than raids that I find fun right now)… We have more than enough chance based only loot. The idea here is that you MUST hit a progression threshold to get rewarded…

I specified it this way because problem I have no motivation to grind for a ‘chance of a drop’ when I know that mr-new-player gets a random chance at it whenever. There is no success criteria for me so it’s just pointless… Especially as I don’t find the current grinding activities fun in the first place.

Time to focus on skill based drops. Even casual audiences appreciate that as they get a feeling of actual achievement. Dopamine hits become extreme that way.

To note your concern about the 20 threshold… It’s not a case of ‘just killing it 20 times’… It should be a difficulty threshold on the mini boss that equals that of a ‘shard 12’ boss. There would still be a ultra rare drop that you can grind for even after hitting that 20 threshold… But it would only drop from tier 4 mini bosses (aka only the most practiced and progressed players get a chance at it)

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.