Initial thought's on Back Bug

I would like to make a post about my and my groups initial thoughts around the new affix back bug. So over all I like it very much but there are a few things that I think would be good to mention when it comes to the mechanics.
First off the biggest issue would be that the person who has aggro can still get the bug on them. For the most part it is not a very big deal until it comes to very heavy ranged enemies and bosses with aoe attacks that can 1 shot anything but tanks (ex. Mist Keeper with ranger dps).
Second thing that we noticed was that the orbs were spawning even out of combat on players as well as persisting through death. This could put people in a bad situation where if the player was dead for an extended period of time they could get more stacks of back bug and if they are not removed before that player respawns then it could lead to a lot of frustration getting back to the group.
Last thing we thought of was that the orb sound effect was the same or very similar to the shaman stun totem. This caused a few questions between our 2 shamans wondering who it was on or if it was on anyone. The only thing we could personally think of to help alleviate this would be a different sound/tone of the orb or something visual to the person that has it on them.
Other than that we think that it is an interesting affix that may need some tweaking when it comes to being less brutal to ranger in particular.

~My thanks, Tallia

7 Likes

We tried out back bug too. I would like to second that having back bug on boss fights is not really practical and removes from the already heavy mechanic fights. For example: Mistkeeper yellow mist everyone needs to stand away from each other, but the back bug wants you to go to another person. Thats conflicting mechanics.

Also there is this bug where the ‘back bug’ is not removable from a player, it will just float somewhere else away from the player and keeps doing its ‘thing’. Or it will start glitching around the hitbox of the removed player. Or it will stay up longer visually than it should. Its still a bit buggy in that perspective.

Its less punishing affix then golden egg. Would say its an affix to watch out for though. But its acceptable. And I would say fun at times.

6 Likes

My thoughts so far, its a fun mechanic, but needs work to make it less frustrating at times.

1. When the bugg is removed the sound NEEDS to stop. Its really disorienting to have it still loudly humming when it is removed.

2. The bard gets screwed hard on this affix. You have to constantly put a mallet away to grab the bug. This really screws with your crescendo timings. You can’t miss a note or you fall behind on getting heals back. There has to be some way to accommodate the bard. You run into an issue were you accidentally throw your bataon over your shoulder then your hand disappears while you scramble to get it put away to grab the bug., Happened to me innumerable times.

3. Like Scott We had several times where the bug was removed but remained on the person.

4. Bug should stop out of combat. If 1 person dies you all basically have to run back with them.

5. No way in hell am I doing Temple with this affix. Mist Keeper would be an utter act of frustration with this affix.

Overall I like this affix SO much better than Rotten Egg. We ran shards for 2.5 hours and generally had a good time except for the moments were the egg bugged. This is an affix I can live with. But still not playing any week Rotten Egg is in the mix.

EDIT: Oh ya, something else that totally screws you up on the bard is the fact you can grab the songs/crescendo orbs. Why can you grab those? They don’t seem to do anything, but they get in the way of trying to grab the bug.

2 Likes

Tried this, it was entirely possible even on a 15 but a nightmare I do not wish to repeat. I don’t want to jump to the tank after aoes to remove the orbs from them…

2 Likes

Devs please fix this enraging bug:

30% off all bugs…

3 Likes

i think it might supposed to be like that, you have to chuck it because its a distance thing once its removed, cant just drop it

I think it would be cool if you could also remove the back bug by hitting it with an attack. This would also make it more viable during certain boss encounters.

6 Likes

^this comment, except it would have to have a decent sized hitbox, a ranger or scoundrel trying to hit that ball is asking a bit much

Initial thoughts: seems fun but after having it glitch like Scott shows in his vid too many times (as well as during boss fights glitching causing 3 wipes) its frustrating currently.

If it works without bugging out then it seems fun.

What that video didn’t show is how the back bug gets glitched out from being pushed by a wall or when spawning with the player’s back close to a wall. the back bug becomes hard to grab from what I could tell by getting stuck somewhere it shouldn’t.

3 Likes

I want to say this happens most often when 2 or more people tried to get it at the same time. We even had a moment were when 2 of us went for it 2 of us ended up holding backbugs to throw.

I’d really like to be able to knock it off with my mallet as a fix for the bard. Give it a good wack and send if flying.

1 Like

I threw the bug quite far sometimes (even of cliffs) and the last throw on the vid did that too. Also alot of times we just drop it on the ground without throwing and it works. So it is broken for sure.

2 Likes

That would really add more fun to it, much like critical points did for the ranger.

2 Likes

Hi, we appreciate the feedback and the video as well for the issue, we’ll take a look.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.