Level Scaled Over-world Thoughts

I have a suggestion to make people want to explore more. Either put the dungeons back out into the world, or add the new ones out in the world somewhere. One of my fondest memories was running around in a group of 5 people looking for the Tradu dungeons for the first time. I also loved having to run to the dungeon anytime I would do shards or something.

I actually recorded the exact instance I mentioned, and uploaded it to YouTube.

4 Likes

personal I like the dungeons being in one zone its smart and conveniant. it also makes it so I dont have to go near lamavora

Sounds like laziness to me :wink:

Edit: Thatā€™s what dungeon queues are for.

5 Likes

:joy:no I just hate lamavora

1 Like

Itā€™s nice having a reason to leave highsteppe every once and a while. Iā€™ve always hated that all the dungeons are in highstepeeā€¦

4 Likes

To see the old game, the old world, the old fun :cry:

3 Likes

Yeuuuup, this exactly! Some of my most memorable moments throughout my time in MMOs came from the stark disparity between high and low levels. I remember being a noob in the original Guild Wars and asking for helpā€¦ and how much of a game changer it was when a friendly higher level player decided to offer a friendly hand (despite getting very little in return), and steamrolled me through those challenging enemies. Or how cool it felt to have a friend join the game, and to be able to take them under my wing and easily protect them out in the dangerous world, as they were gradually leveling up.

You may say that teaming up with a stronger player and steamrolling enemies kills the gameplay, but actually it does the opposite - it brings in a new, emergent, social gameplay factor. If high and low level players work together, itā€™ll be out of friendliness and support. Maybe you canā€™t count on this in all MMOs, but so far, VR game communities tend to be much more supportive and less toxic than most traditional games, largely because of the voice chat and sense of presence that VR gives you.

In traditional games, maybe you did need to implement level scaling, thereby sacrificing emergent social support to get strangers to team up once in a while. But - and the constant anti-level-scaling posts I see on here support this - I donā€™t think Orbus needs to make that sacrifice. Let weak players be weak, let strong players be strong, and they will still team up and help one another out. When the strong players get bored, theyā€™ll make some newbieā€™s day by trucking them through some difficult areas. When the newbie experiences this, heā€™ll be moved by the supportiveness of the community, and be motivated to keep playing so he can get to the power level where he easily steamrolls overworld enemies and can help newbies out as well.

Maybe leave level scaling in dungeons but thatā€™s it.

6 Likes

This. I loved doing this in Oldbus. I was one of the high level players who helped newer players more than I did end game content. It was fun to go around and help new players learn the game and help with less obvious quests even if I got nothing in return. The most this helped me in Oldbus was if I was helping someone do the later main story missions to get them to level 20 and start them off in the endgame content. I would get another level 20 that could potentially become someone I play with regularly.

4 Likes

I enjoyed having the dungeons in the world. I used to love talking to players killing spiders outside of mayos ect while waiting for our party.

3 Likes

I agree, in my case this was the thing keeping on orbus. I absolutely loved being able to just go around and help people adventure and progress through the game and sense reborn orbus has felt less fun. I loved helping people get used to where things were and often people would ask for help with some area (which I loved). In the game current I havenā€™t had a single request for assistance and it kind of feels as though everything is pointless(as in level donā€™t feel like they are worth much) . I want to keep playing but I have been unable to find much interesting stuff to do.

I never have much time to play so Iā€™m unable to do dungeons which makes small adventures and solo stuff quite important.

1 Like

You mean not worked AT ALL. You donā€™t get this feeling, EVER, ANYWHERE.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s not fully true, there are some unscaled mobs scattered about that give you that sense of power, but the second you hit one of the scaled ones, your sense of power vanishes and you become just another guy in Patreayal.

1 Like

I think they were talking about the +/- scaling, with the addition of the +x gear. It does give you a sliiiight difference in power. Not as much

Hey, does this game work through steam with the original oculus rift? The one with the stands for sensors? Debating on buying a $100 oculus rift instead of a $400 oculus rift s or oculus quest. Iā€™m going to be in a small dorm room. Would I still be able to play? What do you guys know about the movements in the game (as in how much do you have to move and how far do you have to reach?)???

Yes.

Yes, youā€™d be able to play.

Generally, you donā€™t move around too much in you playspace. A full armsā€™ length around you is probably a necessity, though, for a few classes.

i would recommend making a new topic instead of asking on this one
@Evan_M2

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.