Loot distribution system - Not group friendly

Okay, so there are a lot of things going on in this thread, some of which are just misinformation, and some of which are things that we will be changing in the future.

First off, this is the first I’ve heard about the Venom Spider dropping Epic drops. That obviously wasn’t intended, the only thing that should be dropping Epic drops are the Aberrations the come in the groups. And obviously you can’t solo those. The drop rate is tuned assuming a Level 20 Elite is going to be killed by a group (because it’s supposed to be an Aberration, not a regular Elite), so yes if you can solo it they will be dropping much faster than intended.

Quite frankly, it would have been nice if someone would have mentioned this sooner, but I guess that’s how it goes. At the end of the day it’s our fault for not catching that, and we’ll be patching it out this morning.

I’ve already stated previously the loot in the new end-game dungeons will be better than the current loot available on the Aberrations and World Bosses. Obviously if you’re coming into the end-game dungeon with a set of Epics you’re going to have an easier time doing it than if you come in with just a set of Rare items. But if you want the best gear in the game you’re going to have to do the end-game dungeons.

Everyone’s roll chance is individual, so in theory if you all got super lucky you could all get a drop at the same time. However, the chance for you to get something is reduced based on a formula that does go down the more people are in your party. To some degree this logically makes sense. Consider if there is a group of 10 Deer, and there is a 10% chance by default to get a Deer Horn. That means that on average that group should have 1 horn among them. If we don’t reduce the drop chance and you have a group of 5 people who kill those 10 deer, it wouldn’t make sense for 5 horns to drop, right? It should still be 1 horn.

At the same time, if you are in a group of 5 people killing a group of 10 deer, and the 10 deer are normally solo-able, then you should be able to blow through those 10 deer and kill more like 40 or 50 deer in the same amount of time. I would also say, if you’re in a group you are much less danger when doing that fight. A group of 5 people is not really at any risk whatsoever of dying to those deer.

So I’m not sure it makes sense to say that the drop rate should be the same or only 5% less when you’re in that situation. Yes you have to kill way more monsters to get the same loot, but at the same time, you are in less danger overall.

Now, if we consider a dungeon boss or an Aberration group, that is going to be challenging for a group. Which is why bosses and elites have a much higher base chance of drop built in, because it’s intended that you are farming those in a group and as such we boost the base drop rate so that after it’s divided up among the group members it’s still pretty high.

Of course, if you have something like the Elite Venom Spider which was unintentionally solo-able then you can see how that is going to throw everything off because now you’ve got something with a boosted drop rate you can solo or group, which isn’t normally a choice you’re supposed to be able to make in that situation.

So I guess that’s the explanation of how it works and the logic behind it, but I’m also just pointing out that your perception may be flawed because of that enemy being unbalanced. Which is really more the problem than anything else.

This is just RNG being RNG, there is nothing about loot chance that changes based on the level of the player relative to the mob.

This is one are we are making some changes ahead of the end game dungeons coming out. I will have more details to share on that later this week.

3 Likes

This is why mages are being called over powered since they can solo the spiders and get geared up super fast.

People have been doing spiders for weeks. It was very publicly known and probably thought to be intended.

5 Likes

If you can point me at a forum thread that I missed where someone talks about soloing Venom Spiders to get Epic drops I would love to read it.

@Riley_D I think that what Damander is talking about is the conversations held in numerous discords and among the community (regarding mages). I don’t think it was ever reported on the forums, as everyone thought it was intended.

2 Likes

I thought the spiders were reported around the same time as the pyramid heads since they are a similar issue. Soloing the spiders is as easy as frostbolt kiting, even with the new movement fix.

1 Like

Look, at the end of the day, as I said, this is our fault for not catching it sooner.

At the same time, I think it’s pretty obvious that there would never be a situation where we’d put one type of mob in the game that dropped Epic loot and was solo-able.

In addition to that, in the last Beta Test there were Pyramid Head enemies with this exact same bug where they dropped Epics, and we patched it out and made it clear at that time that Aberrations were the only things intended to drop Epics in the Wilds.

So again, totally our fault, and honestly I apologize that this somehow went unnoticed. At the same time, in the future if you see something like this, please let us know sooner rather than later via the forums, a PM, an email to me, etc.

2 Likes

You are correct. I did mean in the in game community not necessarily on the forums.
I’m still somewhat new to the game and didn’t know this wasn’t an attended drop.

I am glad to hear about this change though, it gives us more of a reason to do aberrations.

3 Likes

This is correct. But. In my example the 5-man group play had a penalty compared to the 2-man group. Is that intended? Because next time we will think about gathering a full group if we could kill those same mobs without it. Result: people with certain classes probably will be left out.

Maybe the original “don’t have any drops” feeling is coming from the fact that we can’t see each other’s loot bags. If anyone could see the other party member’s (otherwise unannounced) loot bags then after killing the mob which “drops nothing” the people would think like “OMG LOOT! What did you get mate?? Maybe next time that will be mine!” Without changig the current drop system this could take away the sense of futility of farming in a group. The loot bags could have the owner’s name above them and we could get new gear with the originally intended rate.

Thank you!
/respect

Your example I believe was of the Spider I talked about which was broken. So basically with 2 people you were getting the loot of a 5-person group elite. That has been fixed as of this morning.

Sorry I was probably pretty unclear. I 100% agree on this. Non epic mobs, should absolutely have a lower drop chance when in a group. And they should have even smaller drop chance if they are “green” to you. To prevent higher level players clearing out trash for farming regents or other items. But aborations should be excluded from this rule imo.

I can only say how I have experienced this. And lots of Aborations are doable with a group of 3. When running a group of 3 the drops are “common”. But as more people join in, even though we kill em alot faster, drop rate lowers so much, that we can farm for hours without seeing any loot. Mabey this is just unlucky with the dices. But after countless days and hours of farming, the pattern adds up.

I guess you can look at it from different perspectives… Maybe the drop rate is too good with fewer group members. Or the drop rate is too bad with alot of members. It all comes down too how hard you guys want it to be finding epic items. I’m just giving my 2 cents on the subject. I know that my daily hours played decreased by alot when I get the feeling of not gaining anything from my hard work.

Doing World bosses with 40+ People, I can understand the drop rate though :rofl:

Anyways, keep up the good work! I do love the game

1 Like

You are right, my example was about the spiders but the same is true for the aberrations.
After Kalween’s reply I can’t add more to this topic. He just wrote exactly what I had tried.

Please do not take this as pointing out a huge, game-breaking-fault because it is not. The game is already great as it is now, maybe my 200+ hours of playtime proves my good opinion about it! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think there should be incentives to grouping beyond just being able to kill things faster or when you absolutely need a group.

I would go just the opposite and increase loot / experience for people who group up. You can manage the abuses through various methods. However, the benefits to incentives for grouping far outweigh the potential abuses by people who may try to exploit those incentives.

I have seen way too many games that don’t encourage grouping and you it becomes a MMO where most solo.

That is my take on it anyway.

1 Like

Xp is increased in a group already…

From my experience running in a group of 5 farming aberrations- the drop rate feels about right. Someone gets a drop often enough. Now whether or not you’re that person is RNG and addressing that is another conversation entirely.

1 Like

Yeah I mean I could see it either way.

On the one hand, maybe you should be rewarded for being able to do the content with less people (and therefore taking on additional challenge and more risk, presumably)? But on the other hand, we certainly want to encourage people to group up as well.

I’ll give it some thought for sure.

3 Likes

I just want to share my opinion while this is still a fresh conversation. I’ve had 50/50 luck the last week or two since hitting 20 on getting a group together for world boss/abberations. Part of the reason is because of the perceptions mentioned above about smaller group sizes impacting drop rates. I’ve probably spent close to 20 hours farming abs or world boss in that time. Despite that significant time investment, I’ve only gotten one real drop (capes don’t count) and the groups I’ve been with have collectively gotten less than 5 (While I can’t be sure, everyone always asks if anyone got to drop afterwards).

With that as context, I would strongly suggest that any tuning you do goes towards rewarding grouping rather than rewarding soloing or smaller group sizes. And if nothing changes, even once the word gets out that the group size doesn’t really matter, it’s still very discouraging to play for 20 hours and just get one drop.

P.s. please consider giving capes stats or alternately rolled in a separate drop table. My first purple drop in this game was a cape :frowning:

Oh man i just hit 20 last night and spiders were identified as a mistake and patched. Aberration drop rates are almost nonexistant in a full party. At least at 20 itll be a litle easier to get groups…

2 Likes

I actually thought about this because honestly it’s not really fair in a sense that people got to take advantage of it before and now it’s patched, and I’m sympathetic to that. But it was just too big of an imbalance to leave alone.

That said, I would turn your statement around and say, “Oh man I just hit 20 last night just in time for the new end game dungeons to come out in less than a week which have better gear, more interesting mechanics, and will have a more defined way of getting that gear that’s not as RNG-dependent. I’m glad I didn’t have to bash my head against a boring spider for 20 hours straight.” :smile: :stuck_out_tongue:

15 Likes

Hahaha so true so true Riley, I am very excited for the dungeons coming out. I do have a high tolerance for banging my head against walls and spiders and such though for hours straight. Im just a loot whore. I want it all.

I really wish I could just quit my job and full time orbus really.

6 Likes

According to my quest log I’ve killed ~ 420 aberrations and have spent 20+ hours farming world bosses, and I have zero capes, zero gloves, four swords, two rings, three chest pieces, one helm, two or three shoulders, which seems about right. Also got pretty good at aberrations in the meantime. Never focused purely on spiders, but saw a couple mage duos pretty pleased with their results. Thought it was working as intended.

2 Likes

I am really glad to read this post from Fern. I see posts where people are citing all these concerns about mechanics but Fern is always there to reassure me that everyone else is just bonkers and everything is right with the world.

2 Likes