Ranger Feedback (Patch 3.60)

I don’t think that’s quite what pin is saying, so it will probably take around 10 mobs to build up your ult, which if that’s what you want it to be, then we are stuck with it. To give a bit of context, yesterday I was farming a bunch of necrocultists, and wasn’t going to range, nd just shooting arrows like I usually do. In the 3 hours I was there, I probably charged my ult about 5 times(had a couple crashes so it’s a rough number) I know I could have gone out farther to gain more ultimate faster, but I am trying to put it as a reference to solo play to show the estimate you would get at close range, because once u start attacking a mob u have around 10 seconds max to charge ult as they charge in

Edit: bit of a wall of text, but hopefully it makes sense

1 Like

Okay so it sounds like the main problem is the penalty for the Ult not charging at close range is too severe. I can make some adjustments to that. The idea is supposed to be that you are getting a “bonus” to it so it charges faster when things are far away, not that it doesn’t charge at all when things are up close.

At the same time, the class Ultimates in general are supposed to be like infrequently-available boosts that you can use on a big fight like a boss or to get out of a sticky situation. It’s a little concerning to me that apparently so much of the Ranger meta had evolved around the idea of getting your Ult up as quickly as possible and then having it up nearly all the time. That was never how the class was supposed to play.

So, yeah. I guess long story short:

• I will make some adjustments so your Ult still charges in 60-90 seconds even when you are at close range
  • The Ranger meta may have shifted a lot for some players if you were relying on the Ult being up all the time as the primary damage dealing part of the class, but that was never intended.
4 Likes

Good to hear! If not too sure about how much of the ult is a meta, because during my solo grind to 20 I would usually just save it to when I mess up and am about to die, but that could just be me

I think most Ranger’s used it as a way to get out of a mess up. But I also look at the pips as a reward system for positioning and accuracy. Being able to charge the ALT when playing solo balance out not being able to use your Pips effectively.

im glad that adjustments were agreed on. I was about to reroll runemage.

To be fair I haven’t played since the change so I can’t confirm how it would affect my gameplay, but in relation to Kamina comment, in my grind to 20 I used my ults alot. I farmed alot in the desert and my strat was to kill low level mobs to charge and than kill mobs with stars.

So yeah, that would probably not work anymore. And I don’t say that this should be the way it work. Just that I for one was relying on my ult to solo cause you can’t really use the advantage of shooting from far away when soloing since the trap won’t hold after you do damages and you often can’t go that far without getting aggro from another mob.

But yeah Riley I am 100% positive that our ults where way too fast to charge during boss fight. I was probably 90% of the time in ultimate.

I can understand if you don’t want to increase the ult charge. You could increase other aspects. The notches really feel non impactful. I feel they could use a big buff. That would make ranged play more rewarding.

1 Like

I feel like rangers should shoot as slow as musketeers, problem solved!

1 Like

From playing a warrior I don’t understand the fuss. I don’t even bother looking at the super meter while soloing. I’m not even sure what it does it’s available so infrequently.

1 Like

Just a grain of salt. In my opinion, the ranger doesn’t have the same ability to survive that the other classes do. Constantly, Mages can push away and slow. Musketeers can slow and self heal (short stun if you count graviton). Rangers have a long CD trap, which breaks the stun as soon as the target takes damage. We have no slow and less abilities. By reducing the amount the ult charges, I believe it makes it tougher for rangers to solo; Obviously it is dependent on the individual skill level. Some sort of Frost shot, in which the arrows provide a slow for a certain amount of time.

hopefully this ends the mass of people complaining about the class and always wanting to change it to their liking

I agree with that. We shall see what comes out in the futur :slight_smile:

It wont because there are a lot of other things that people think Rangers need changes in.

This thread is mostly specific to the super charging up was specific to how the devs had changed how quickly you could charge it up.

And the criticism is warranted because charging the super at close range now takes like 5+ minutes do to how little charge you get from regular attacks. If the goal here is to make it charge in 90 seconds then its not working at close range.

So its a good thing that the devs will take another pass at it as they said. But that doesn’t mean the discussion is over haha.

Just making sure you saw yesterday’s patch:

Modified the Ranger Super charge rate. The penalty is now not nearly as severe for fighting up-close targets as those at long range. In addition, arrows using an ability (e.g. Poison Arrow) will now give a small bonus amount of Super, and using the Charged Shot will give a larger bonus of super as well. See notes below as well.

3 Likes

I tested it against the dummy, aberrations, worldboss and i agree that was too fast before the change but now is really too slow. When i first saw the patchnotes i thought it would be just 3 times slower, but this isn’t the case. For example: against Sanyael i was able to charge the ultimate at least 2 times before each wave of adds, now i can charge it once in the whole fight or 2 if there are many waves of adds (and that’s using every special arrow/charged shot when available).
I think the basic charge should be increased a bit and, more important, the bonus on shooting from afar, i was literally shooting the worms from as far as being ignored (70+ meters) and still needed a lot to charge it before engage Sanyael.

1 Like

I saw yesterday’s patch so I am aware you adjusted it after others pointed out that it seemed to be under performing.

Its been improved, but its still heavily based on hitting targets quickly and from globe generation range to get the most effect. More importantly, even while improved, its underperforming for that 90 second benchmark you’re trying to hit at both long and close ranges, slow shots and rapid fire.

I can back this up. Right now you can charge it up twice the entire fight and that’s only if the fight is a long and extended one with more than 5 waves of adds. This is still way above the 90 second average you said is the benchmark.

When not firing at a huge target from a long distance to generate globes, it takes even longer.

1 Like

@Riley_D, I got a video of the fight from my perspective if you want to see how the Super is charging. Just send me a message and i’ll give you a link. :slight_smile:

There is a bonus for hitting the target from longer distances, but it’s about a 25% bonus. And as long as you are firing at least 1 shot per second, you are generating it at the max rate, so there shouldn’t be any bias toward fast-firing versus slower-firing Ranger play at this point.

Assuming you are hitting it at close range, and that you have the max “hit streak” modifier active (which I assume you would at close range), it should take 128 seconds to charge just off basic shots. If you are using two ability arrows every 8 seconds plus a Charged Shot every 6 seconds, it will take it down to 70 seconds. If you’re doing all that and hitting it at max range, you could actually get it down to sub-60 seconds.

I got your link, I will take a look at that and see if some further adjustments should be made.

Again, the goal is to hit the benchmark, so if that’s not happening I will keep playing with it. But I guess I’m just surprised to hear it because the math works out.

1 Like

I’ll definitively try those maths and change my play style. I think I could optimise my use of Charged Shot and maybe switch the fire arrow to one who regen faster so I could use more ability arrows during the fight. If it’s possible to charge in around 60secondes maybe DPS wise it’s worth it.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.