Repeated crashes(individual) & audio loss(everyone in an area?)

This seems fairly well known by players, but I don’t seen a recent thread about it. Playing the game, you can crash multiple(once like 6x in a day for me) times. It’s usually impossible to play without crashing at least once, but more commonly like 2-3x. There’s no apparent cause for it, you can be standing still in town and talking to a player. I think I get “Vrclient” has crashed iirc, yet my steamVR is still open, I’ll try to get the exact popup next time. I use an oculus rift with steam, though I think this extends to vive players too?

Also what seems to happen sometimes which can be difficult when chatting with someone casually, or in a dungeon (and can’t coordinate, etc) is everyone loses audio. Sometimes A can hear B, but B can’t hear A. Or A and C can hear eachother, but B can hear A yet can’t hear or talk to C. And so forth. When this bug happens, it happens heavily in chronological succession. You can play a whole day without (knowingly) having this issue, but it happens enough that it’s common enough. I was trying to explain some stuff to a new player too when this happened once, and it’s difficult to convey to them what is happening. Relogging kind of temporarily fixes it, but audio can immediately break again.

I’ve had crash issues from normal movement at most once or twice a day when playing (sometimes upward of 12 hours a day). I do crash from high speed movement like turning my head around a lot for dungeons and stuff like portal event, but I think it’s more likely because of quest’s external camera tracking latency not being able to keep up, since it can happen outside orbus also, but is more common in orbus than other games.

Thanks for the information, and for reporting the bugs. We are aware of some crash/dysnc issues as well as some audio cutting issues and have been looking into it deeper but the bugs have been ones where we have put out multiple fixes for them and seem to fix one part or another of it but still haven’t gotten it to where we want so we are continually working on them behind the scenes.

We actually have a feature that will be coming out in the following weeks that will be an in game bug report tool that will allow us to capture the output log automatically (on pc) as well as some other pertinent information that could make tracking some of these longer standing bugs easier, also hopefully allow us to get a larger sample size of players reporting bugs so we can see the frequency, number players affected. Then group together reports to track down easier, prioritize, etc. But until that is released a few other follow questions for both of you.

Couple of follow up questions- What connection type are you using (at the main login screen lower left under blog information)?

When you say crashes are you getting crashes (where it shuts down the game client which it sounds like just double checking) or dysncs where it just takes you back to login screen?— If it is crashes there is a crash log saved to your computer that could help us track these down.

when you are getting the crashes on quest do you notice that there are a lot of other players around? Or does it happen often when you are by yourself?

5 Likes

Currently set to default.

To supplement Yoh_T’s response, I’ve crashed in my house alone before.

EDIT: Just happened while alone in the wastelands when a ranged scav was hitting me, had just loaded his special ammo. I had just cast mage shield(submitted, ie pressed “a” only once), it was a perfect cast.

Usually happens when I’m alone and running between gate defense and portal event areas (which tbh is most of my gameplay before the harvest event, so no surprise there) but it always just acted like the screen froze, waited 3-10 seconds there, then booted me back to my oculus room, went dark, or stayed there until I manually went to my oculus room to close it.

Will reporting in game even work if we are desynced from the server? It seems like we can still see everything that is happening so we are receiving info from the server still but no one else can see us teleport or do anything anymore so it seems like a problem with us sending info to the server, if that is the case, will the logs even send?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.