Server Side Patch- Triplicity Talent

It takes the most practice to get to a high level
So it is the hardest for sure

It isn’t hard at all. Again, it is just difficult.

Yeah but it’s still the hard-est

1 Like

That’s totally false though. If every class did the same damage, people wouldnt just play the easiest class. They would play the class they like the most. That’s the best thing an mmo can do.

7 Likes

Lets agree to disagree. I definitely would never put a lot of work into something knowing that someone else is putting in less effort and getting the same result.

3 Likes

Bruh why would I play a game to main in something I don’t like?

Every person plays differently. Each has their own strengths and weaknesses, their own likes and dislikes. There are a few members of my guild that prefer Mage over ranger because to them, Ranger is the difficult class to play. In OG my 1st 20 was Mage and I stuck with it in end game for quite some time. But once I switched to ranger, I never looked back regardless of the fact that I wasn’t able to meet that same DPS output. The reason being that playing ranger is far more enjoyable to me. My 1st point here is that the beauty of an MMO like this is that there are options so that each player can select the playstyle that suits them best. My 2nd point is that just because one person thinks a class is more difficult or more enjoyable doesn’t mean the next person feels the same. On Average, each of the DPS classes should be able to achieve roughly the same output to make them viable to play mixed classes in events such as raid or shards.

4 Likes

So you don’t put effort into your job or school then?

At work and school you put in a ton of work and look forward to bigger and better things. With this there is nothing to look forward to.

1 Like

that is not how I felt and feel about school and work :grimacing:

4 Likes

Hmmm…

I can 100% agree here. Why would I spend hundreds of hours practicing runes and getting faster, when I could just stand there with a point-n-click class like scoundrel that would do nearly the same amount of damage? At that point, I’m just holding back my raid party by purposely taking a longer route to the same destination, then they’re waiting on me to get to the required DPS to get to higher shards. Even once I get there, I’m still accomplishing the exact same thing as someone else with an “easier class” (read as, “class with less depth”).

This is one of the main reasons I continue to play scoundrel, because I enjoy it. If I’m not in a shard or raid, that’s fine. If the DPS requirements were lower to match my DPS, then this would be fine. Until then, I use it for general play since I rarely get a que during the times I play.

1 Like

I for one would never play the boring class if they did the same dps. If anything, it would be worse in the opposite scenario. I would only play the boring class if it did significantly more dps than the fun class.

1 Like

And that is your opinion, which you are completely entitled to. However, if this type of shift occurs, I can only see the meta being turned 180° on mage.
Currently: “Why play scoundrel, when you can play ranger or mage and actually do damage?”
Later: “Why play mage, when you can play ranger or scoundrel and actually do damage?”

Especially if the top mages stick to their word and actually stop playing. We’ll have a distinct lack of players with strong knowledge of rotations, tiles, and mechanics for mage, as is currently the problem with scoundrel.

Because you may say this is for “balancing” but all this is doing is exchanging one problem for another.

3 Likes

To be honest, for raids you really don’t need high dps. Like 1/3th of the max dps you can do and your golden. Even most of hardmode. Or 1/5th if you are with better players. Buuuut what you do need to do is STAY ALIVE and attack the right things. Shards, although how faster you are how more you get rewarded, you will be doing the current highest lvl shards in time with also about 1/3th of your max possible dps on every class xD Again if the whole group is that lvl and don’t wipe.

Fun fact, looking at the current numbers I am reaching, it looks like Scoundrel is actually in potential better then ranger xD (long fights) Ppl are just too stubbern to play the class enough because initially it yields less dps. (it also has less fun gameplay I am guessing for many)

Because mage is even with the triplicity nerve to nothing in potential still about 20% more damage then any of the other classes (this is a random guess, but I know it is at-least 20% if not more). Also still want to note that mage still gives the party the highest dps boost, has the best most used and even unique utility in the game, and lastly gets punished the least, or sometimes even rewarded more in different type of boss fights of all the dps. (a.k.a. stationary boss? great dps. Moving boss? still great-ish dps. Down time boss? Increased dps with pre-affliction and triplicity)

The reason btw that mages are discouraged from playing now is not the mage being weaker then other classes or the dps loss. The reason is that on first sight some depth from the class has been removed. This also means that this is a + for the argument on making a class fun to play. Because it seems to be more important then their relative dps reward. This is because removing the extra depth of that talent reduced the fun and thus the reason to play the class. Not the minor dps loss.

3 Likes

The answer to ‘why play mage’ is that it is fun. I dont understand why anyone would play a game they don’t think is fun. If you don’t like the class you are playing, you should play another class even if it has lower dps.

All i get out of these conversations is people are mad that their class is no longer leagues ahead. They either are playing a class they don’t like because it does more dps or they only like the class because it does too much dps.

3 Likes

This whole thing is based around mage being too powerful; why doesn’t everyone (and you) play mage then?

Mage isn’t overpowered at most levels, it just has a higher damage potential. Most average mages do similarly to average rangers.

It sounds like you’re not reading what any of us are saying at all. We have repeatedly emphasized that a nerf to mage is ok (although an improvement to the other classes would be far better) but that this is the removal of a MECHANIC. Try to see it from our perspective for once. Imagine if ranger had weak points and special arrows removed. Rotations would be meaningless and people wouldn’t be rewarded for accuracy, aside from not missing the target. The only skill aspect of ranger would then be the timing and the base level of accuracy required to hit the target. This is how I feel. Because of this change, rotations are now insignificant for mage. Furthermore, good mages could distinguish themselves before by managing when they use triplicity to maximum effect, even if it meant holding it ready for longer before using it. It was an on cooldown but also on command high damage phase that could be utilized differently for each fight to maximize effect. Now mage is just fire spam + afflicitons every few seconds and frost tiles.

Many of us have also repeatedly demonstrated ways in which wider skill gaps are better and balancing is very possible. You don’t believe that’s the case, but you don’t say anything other than “you can’t balance it then”. This is not about balance between classes, which can be solved without altering mechanics. This is about taking core mechanics out of mage for no good reason other than to make the game more casual.

4 Likes

This seems to be how the devs operate, which is really unfortunate. If something is overpowered it is made useless instead of balancing it. They did the same thing with mage DoT spreading, which was completely overpowered, they made it useless. There is a happy medium where overpowered classes and abilities are nerfed, but not into oblivion, rather to the point where they are still part the meta for the game. Tripicity damage should bottom out at around 20-30%, not 8%. There is still a lot more class balancing that needs to take place after that as well.

8 Likes

After the Musketeer changes I was really hopeful. It felt like the team was listening to the community and making positive progress on class changes. This feels like a reset back to square one. Like you’ve not learned from past mistakes. Hopefully you have some feedback to talk about to the community because at the moment, the mages I would run 11+ shards with won’t be around to run new content.

4 Likes

Useless is an overstatement. But it is certainly very unrewarding and hard to boost your damage at all with this. And that would be like a 4% dps boost for lagging everyone more out + extra tileset spaces needed + more complexity and thus more f ups. So ya a very stupid route to take.

I would like to see the low cap of the boost go up again to around the 20% Landru said.

I don’t think anyone here is disagreeing with wanting to see a talent becoming very unrewarding or even punishing in many situations. Only thing I heard who were happy about the change were just happy about the mage being nerved in damage. Not happy about the talent becoming basically discouraged to use.

2 Likes

Exactly. I mean who is still left? :rofl: