The Dragon Genome Project

Hello Everyone, my name is August and I’m a bit of a breeding connoisseur. I would like to invite everyone to help with creating a definitive guide on Dragon Genomes and breeding. Once complete, we be able to easily calculate how to get from whatever dragons you have to what dragon you want. As a side bonus, we can also determine which dragon is the rarest of all!

There are 3 different aspects of dragon inheritance we will need to get data on to complete this project: Color, Breed and Size.

To begin with Color, we do have some great information provided by Kyle about how color inheretance works (See his post here).
Based on that information, we can infer that the possible colors for each Trait have a Most Dominant color to Most Recessive color line. We need to figure out what this line is. To do so, we need to gather as many examples of Dominant/Recessive combos as possible to work out what goes where on the line. From the limited amount of dragons I’ve seen so far, I have 2 lines of colors I know of, but don’t know how they interact yet:

Brown > Red > Green
-and-
Blue > Jungle Green

To help complete this list, please comment with all the color combos of your dragons. I suspect there are many more Recessive colors that are possible with mutations, but there is only a 12.5%, or 1 in 8, chance of getting a mutated recessive gene so it will take lots of breeding to find them all.

Next, we are on to Breed. This one is pretty simple, we just need to compile a list of which parents bred which offspring. I suspect the offspring will have a 50/50 chance of matching either parent, but this is something that should be confirmed through a large data set.

Finally we have Size. This will likely be the most difficult one to figure out as we only get one number per dragon. Like with Breed, we will just need to collect a large data set of Parent’s and offspring sizes. With enough data, we should hopefully be able to find a trend.

Screenshots would be greatly appreciated, but even just text of what dragons you have and offspring that has been produced would work. I have also created a google form for anyone to be able to submit the dragons they have and the offspring that was produced in a consistent format. Since we don’t yet know what the possible color combos are, I must ask everyone to submit the colors for each trait in a single line in a color/color format. That way I can later extract the data easily.
If you would rather just comment here than use the form, that’s fine too! I will be going through periodically and updating the sheet with comments on this thread.

Anyone can view the results here:

Right now it will only have the responses to the form, but as we get more responses I will start adding in pages that breakdown and explain the data we have.

I will also periodically give updates of our results and I hope everyone enjoys figuring out these little details as much as I do!

2 Likes

We are working on a similar project if you want to read our findings.You will need discord. https://discord.gg/m2eRh35

Oh and it seems to be Brown > Red > Green > Blue > Jungle Green > Purple > ?..

Pretty much the exact same concept.

Form: https://goo.gl/forms/nhLUKaGNTBMhbx6z2

@AugustLocke We started this yesterday. Would you like to collaborate with us? We are interested in finding out how the dragon breeding works. What are your plans for the data you collect?

Man, I was hoping I was the first to start this, I even looked around for other topics.
I’d be happy to collab with you guys, I haven’t really used discord before but I’d be happy to give it a try.
As for my plans, I have a couple. One is to find the rarest possible dragon and then try to get it. I also want to make a bit of a breeding generator so you can put in what parents you have and find out what you can get, and also be able to put in what you want to end up with and get the breeding chain you can go through to get there. (I’ve done a lot of pokemon breeding if you can’t tell)

(Hiding at OP’s request).

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.