This looks amazing, is it worth it to buy a Rift or Vive?

Personally using the vive pro and am thrilled with it. ~70% higher pixel density than the Oculus or original vive, super comfortable. It is expensive as hell though.

1 Like

thanks for that info!

Cant comment on the glasses thing, but the defective track pad issue with the vive controller that i keep hearing about, plus the internal batteries are enough to keep me away from it. You can buy an extra sensor for the rift (giving it roomscale) and have it still be cheaper than a vive.

Are you the type of person that binges MMOs? Are you likely to spend several hours playing at a time? Do you want to have to stop playing to charge your controllers, or plug them into a battery pack? Terrible design. Although i guess you could just buy another set of controllers to have as back up (for 130 bucks PER controller) Regular Eneloop AA rechargables last for 3ish days of 10+ hours (per day) of playing on the Oculus touch controllers, and can be swapped out in less than a minute…

But none of that really matters if you cant comfortably wear it with your glasses, so id try to find somewhere you can try them out first.

2 Likes

I don’t wear glasses so I can’t help you much from that perspective, unfortunately. I just wanted to touch on a couple differences between the two that I hadn’t seen mentioned already.

If you’re super into audio quality and want to use your own headphones the Vive may be the better choice as you are required to use your own headphones with the base Vive kit. It’s a little thing but not having to work around the built in rift headphones may be worth it to you. On the flip side, if you aren’t super into audio and don’t want to hassle with another wire and object to strap yourself into every time then that’s a pro in the rift column.

If you plan to play for long periods of time you may want to go with the rift as it is way more comfortable out of the box. The Vive’s straps are pretty terrible and, while it has the deluxe audio strap accessory you can purchase to improve the comfort of that HMD, it is an additional $100.

Not a super thorough description of either system, but I feel like those are two key differences I’ve noticed between the headsets that new buyers may want to be aware of.

1 Like

One of my controllers have this defective thing, fortynatley, Orbus does not have so u need to pushe down the right side of pad. So Ive been fine :grin:

Been working around it in other games as well, so not something i think about at all really.

This topic has loads of comments regarding the differences between the two systems :wink: For glasses, I’m using my rift with glasses, though I personally feel that my glasses are a bit too close to the lenses of the rift :wink:

I’ve heard of issues with the Oculus audio failing, so that should be noted. But I have a great pair of open back headphones that are amazing in VR, and way more comfortable than the stock ones, so I’ve never had to deal with that.

1. I would say that this is a great buy and you should try the game and get a vive; i am a rift player and had problems with rift.

2. GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970, AMD Radeon R9 290 equivalent or better
    CPU: Intel i5-4590, AMD FX 8350 equivalent or better
    RAM: 4 GB or more
    Video Output: HDMI 1.4, DisplayPort 1.2 or newer
    USB Port: 1x USB 2.0 or better port
    Operating System: Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1 or later, Windows 10
    source:http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/can-i-run-the-htc-vive-2936671 you should be fine as today these are low specs.
    As per the steam page:
    MINIMUM:
    Processor: Intel Core i5-4950 or AMD FX 8350
    Memory: 8 GB RAM
    Graphics: Nvidia GTX 970 or AMD Radeon R9 290
    DirectX: Version 10
    Network: Broadband Internet connection
    Storage: 4 GB available space

RECOMMENDED:
    Processor: Intel Core i7
    Memory: 16 GB RAM
    Graphics: Nvidia GTX 1080 or equivalent
    DirectX: Version 11
    Network: Broadband Internet connection
    Storage: 4 GB available space

3. I also wear glasses in vr but I don’t recommend wearing glasses in vr; you can but i recommend purchasing these as your prescription https://vr-lens-lab.com/ they are inserts you can use to not have to use glasses in vr.

4. Just some friendly advice, try each class but if you want to be a dps you want to avoid mage. Ranger in this game at high levels is rarely taken on high level raids or dungeon runs as to mage being better at defeating trash mobs. Every other class is very well desired but just avoid Ranger.

If your having problems with your glasses (or just don’t want to wear glasses in vr) I would recommend buying vr lens inserts from here https://vr-lens-lab.com/ as you won’t have to wear your glasses in vr. It seems like €147,00 is the most you spend if you want to have everything offered with a high prescription

Last i bought glasses, I bought 1 normal pair, and 1 huge pair (for vr and car driving) :joy:

Maybe the Vive just spoiled me. Hubby has a Vive and got me hooked on Orbus. We ended up getting a new computer and a Rift for me. I am fine playing the Vive with my glasses but I can’t with the Rift. To me fair my eyes are atrocious. I normally wear contacts so it’s not a big deal for me.
I much rather the Rift controllers. They are so comfortable! It’s nice To be able to just pop some double As in and keep playing.
The Rift headset is much lighter and more comfortable also.
It feels cheap compared to the Vive. The Vive feels so well made.
I wish I could run my Rift through Steam VR only.
All that said I rather my Rift over Jinxes Vive.

1 Like

You can play games through steam without an issue using Rift if that’s what you mean, but the other way around is a bit more complicated as you need third party software to do so

Oh yah but I mean i wish I could just use Steam vr home only instead of having to go through Oculus home than through Steam.

This is also extremely helpful information, and I realize I forgot one question that is somewhat important to me and, bothersome in most games with motion/combat controls.

Can you play left handed?

While I can surely play right handed with no issues, I’m a native left handed person and holding a shield in my right and swinging a sword with my left feels much more natural.

If this isn’t a feature yet, I do hope it’s implemented to give more of an immersive experience.

You can absolutely play left handed. :slight_smile: It’s as easy as switching the equipment slot.

DEAR LORD. This game is my everything. Does anyone play in somewhat small space? Is it problematic? I don’t have an extremely large gaming area anymore, just a small desk MAYBE 5 feet backwards of open space. A small square so to speak.

I know right? The touch controllers are just so amazing. Furthermore, i started using 2700 mAh encore recharcheables. Those would hold power 1-2 days a set. Then, since i had recharger slots for two more, i bought a set of tecxus 2700 mAh batteries. These have currently been going strong on hmm 4th day now i think?

Batteries are definetely not created equal, even if they list the same mAh. And with the super nice touch controllers it only takes a few seconds to switch a pair :smiley:

Sad to hear that you can’t use your rift with glasses on, but that just goes to show that there is a size limit on rift where the vive hmd is more spacious.

All in all it is good input for the OP then, as it would probably be a good idea to go try both on for size (pun intended haha) before making the purchase :smiley:

Both small and large spaces work. With small spaces you will probably want to turn by controller rather than turning around too much for real. A large space gives you more freedom ofcourse but that being said you can even play sitting down if you want to.

That being said, having space enough to stretch your arms to all sides is a good idea, both for the sake of you, your controllers and everything else around you (items, wife, kids, pets etc haha)

A friend of mine may ship his Vive to me to try, he’s a great guy. First step is seeing if my PC can run this, and I’ve gotten a few specs on here, and I think I might be ok.

So far this is the most receptive, responsive, kind forum of an MMO I’ve been a part of that isn’t mean or condescending.

Now my life choices will be very hard, lol.

Well, you can soothe your conscience a bit by telling yourself and others that VR can also be pretty healthy,

I’ve lost 8 kilos (16 pounds for metric challenged haha) since i got VR a month or two ago. So if you’re into getting a good excercise that is also fun, VR is a great place, especially if you play warrior or ranger.

On top, there are great excercise games out there as well like f ex BoxVR and Beat Saber. Check them out while you are at it :wink:

1 Like