Getting a new system just to play this

So I’m buying a new computer and the HTC Vive Pro to play this game… pretty much made up my mind on the vive pro… just haven’t pulled the trigger yet… This purchase should happen at the end of this month… so I still have time to stew over it lol… anyone prefer the rift? And if so why? Or does anyone think the vive pro is better and why? Specifically for this game and maybe in general but mostly for this game

3 Likes

I prefer the rift - main reason: Touch controllers.
I have the vive and the rift. The vive controllers are terrible.

2 Likes

Do you currently have a vive? The vive pro isnt sold with controllers or the tracking sensors, i believe. So you would basically have to buy a vive as well.

The vive controllers also use a non replaceable battery that you have to recharge between uses. So if they die while you are using them, you have to plug them into an external battery pack (making them essentially wired) The rift controllers use a standard replaceable AA battery ( i recommend investing in some rechargeables) There is also a common issue with the track pad on the vive controllers getting worn out…but thats just what ive heard. I have a rift. I have heard the screen on the vive pro is much better for reading text though.

Personally i would just buy a rift and a third sensor (for room scale) and wait for a true VR 2.0 then upgrade.

I mean the pro is going to have more pixels AKA less screen door effect. Woots. And knuckles will be coming out 2019 from what ive heard.

1 Like

@Human Enter enterprise.

https://enterprise.vive.com/us/

Thats 100 bucks more than buying a vive + a vive pro though…

1 Like

I hardly can play anymore with my Rift, so would not ever buy it again. First after less than a year the left headphone broke (known issue, people on forums sent it in for replacement…), then something inside the rift got loose (known issue, people on forums sent it in…) and the tracking isn’t 360 except you buy a 3rd sensor, but then your usbs might go down (known issue, nothing to do about it). Never again.

I personally prefer the Rift. To me, it feels like HTC has just quickly rushed the Vive to the market, especially when it comes to the design of the unit itself. Clunky and unergonomic, where as with the Rift they’ve clearly spent a lot of money and time in designing the headset and the controllers.

What comes to the tracking (mentioned by @Metris_Marshmallow), 3rd sensor doesn’t add all that much to the tracking if you position the 2 existing ones correctly. I ran with 2 sensors for a really long time with only a small deadzone in the corner of my playspace, which I eventually fixed with the 3rd sensor.

I’ve had my CV1 ever since it’s release and had absolutely no issues with me, however it does seem that a lot of people have had problems with various things. Suppose I’ve gotten lucky

I use vive pro. The higher resolution makes a massive difference.

1 Like

A 3rd sensor actually made a huge difference for me, with only 2 I experienced it more often that my controllers went “flying” :smiley:

There is also a common issue with the track pad on the vive controllers getting worn out…but thats just what ive heard

This is completely true, the rubber part under the touchpad wears off easily and in worst case you might need to completely replace the rubber part (possible to do it at home though)

We are a house devided. Husband has the Vive I have the rift.
The Rift is more comfortable. It’s lighter and the touch controllers are amazing. I find it easier to draw spells with and it’s faster (movement) in Orbus.
Jinx saids that the Vive feels like it’s made better. It does feel more solid.

Thank you all for the suggestions and info… follow up question… 2hat about movement in game… I do no like teleporting? Is the rift or the vive greatly different when it comes to movement?

Was looking at the vice pro bundle that comes with everything… but its 1300 bucks

The main difference is that with Rift you can easily reach the maximum movement speed due to the thumb stick it has, while the vive only has the touch pad which can make it tricky to utilise the maximum speed (of course with enough practice you can overcome this)

Also during fights teleporting is a lot faster, but the best is (most of the time) if you are using locomotion AND teleportation to move around.

Don’t have a preference to the type of system, just wanted to say welcome and glad your joining us!

1 Like

I have a different view than most. I bought a vive pro and hated it. I had problems with the audio at first and eventually fixed it, but the audio problems would pop back up. Another reason why I returned it is b/c the headset hurt my forehead to much after about 45 minutes. I switched back to my original vive. I didn’t notice that much different in quality between the vive pro and the vive for Orbus. You could definitely read the text better with the vive pro, but that was really about it for me. If you are just going to play Orbus I would stick with the regular vive.

I’m a huge fan of the vive pro. I can’t go back to lower resolution now.

1 Like

Lol such a hard decision… if the vive had the same controllers as the rift it would be a easy… I’m leaning towards the vice pro bundle due to fallout 4 as well as the tracking… I’m also getting a cyber power PC I7 7th gen 16 gigs ram, geforce 1060 etc… hope this system will run this game just fine… sorry to hit u all up but I’m dying to play orbus ans needed this advise as I’m pulling the trigger on this hopefully in the next few days… maybe tonight if the wife allows lol happy wife happy life .

I love my Vive Pro, but it’s always with a caveat; If you want to be able to read text 1.7x further away, get the vive pro, otherwise, you would be fine with a regular vive or rift. If money isn’t an issue here, yeah, vive pro is awesome.

I only have rift, but heres how i see it. I may be wrong on several points:

Pros of vive (pro):

• resolution/FoV
  • sensors (same as standard to my knowledge)

Cons:

• youre still stuck with the clunky controllers
  • controller charging

Pros of rift (vs both normal and pro vive):

• Amazing controllers that just feel right in your hands, and your hand gestures and real life game gestures are pretty much identical
  • Super fast battery switch (and standard rechargables last a long time, a single 2-4 recharger in a socket is more than plenty)
  • Better “image” than vive - is what i hear. But i do not know

Cons:

• Sensors don’t come with “tower” setup
  • Sensors have shortish cables, so you need to buy extensions for proper 360 roomscale setup (you can make pseudo roomscale with the standard package though - thats what i am running)
  • less “optimized” for the whole steamVR->Oculus Rift software go-through process. But in the short time i’ve had my Rift already seems to be much less of an issue.

Advice?
Damn, tough one. If money isn’t the issue, i’d say get a normal rift or vive now along with the powerhouse of a pc you imagined getting. That will be enjoyable regardless. Or maybe get pimax 5/8k if the resolution is worth enough to you. Or lastly perhaps wait until oculus/htc offers similar higher resolution/FoV but with all the pros (and cons) that they already come with.