Warrior - Downwards Swing > Upwards Swing

I mainly play Warrior, as I usually do in games, always love tanking / being up-close and personal.
In VR, that feels even better.

The combos in OrbusVR are a great way to execute “abilities” without making it too gamey, however, one major thing I simply don’t understand, is why every vertical combo-trigger is an upwards slash as opposed to overhead, downwards.
Attacking from top to bottom feels much more natural, as it allows far more force behind a real attack, it also connects the most efficient muscles and movement in the joints.

Which then boggles my mind, when every combo requires a movement that feels unnatural and illogical.

It also feels way more fluid to pull off all the combos, wether you start with an overhead slash, or go into one, the fluidity of the movements connects each attack much easier.

Example; Pulling off Wound, starting from your right, swinging across your chest, your instinct for a follow-up attack would be over your head and strike down, which then perfectly connects into another from right-to-left attack.

Would it be possible to address this?
With the upwards strike, it feels far too gamey and not like a furious attack.

Riley addresses this in great detail in an earlier post a few months ago of why the down slash wouldn’t work. I can’t find the post. Maybe someone else can find it and link it.

Here’s my original comment about up vs down: Warrior Preview Blog Post

Here’s Riley’s response: Warrior Preview Blog Post

3 Likes

Would be kinda cool if there was a test build we could try reversing the Upwards swing to see how it goes.

Great posts, didn’t find those when searching around.

While I understand the problem and see why the decision was made, it feels like a shortcut to solving the issue, rather than actually finetuning/fixing the down slash.

To me it looks like the original issue was caused by problematic hit detection in general that has since been altered and finetuned, and another issue could be that of hitbox. I’m curious how the hit registration from a down slash combo would work now, compared to a year ago.

As “kevin_f” says, it would be interesting to be given the oppertunity to test a reversed vertical combo.

1 Like

Hello,
I have just recently started playing the game and I absolutely love it, but I’d have to ask, is it possible to add an option to choose between upswing and down swing?
As in a toggle switch so that you can choose to do one or the other for the combos, because going for an upswing always kills my shoulder whereas doing down swings feels a lot more natural.
I’d like to clarify that this is my opinion and I’d like to hear from the rest of the community about how they feel about it.

Bumped you over into the existing discussion on this topic which contains links to the reasoning behind the upswing instead of the downswing.

So I read the post about it being unreliable to detect and I figured, why not just make the “up” into a vertical regardless of directions?

Maybe that could solve some problems, further testing is required of course but I would really like to see this being pursued and looked into, or at least have the combos shortened to 3 because 4 seems excessive.

And a little off topic, but I think it would be nice to have an explanation for what each of the abilities do in the journal, the same way archer and musketeers have theirs.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.