A sense of direction

Hey There,
I’ve been playing & beta testing MMORPGs since I was kneehigh to a grasshopper started with Asheron’s Call.
What I’ve noticed a lot in Orbusvr & reborn is a lack of direction, there really needs to be some kind of map guidance like where to go for next or current quest or where to hand in a quest, would it not be possible to add like some kind of compass or map guidance system? Even in the logbook map would it be possible to implement this kind of functionality? When I was in town I noticed blue blobs in places I ran around thinking these were NPC’s where I could hand in quests instead they were quest givers.

Enjoying Orbusvr reborn beta.
Paul.

Everquest never had this. The moment they add quest markers like wow then everyone stops reading the quest info completely and just runs for the marker. I vehemently do not want newbie style quest markers.

1 Like

it would be nice to at least have a static map of every zone though. live orbus has the same problem… not every zone has a map, leading to a major problem finding locations for new players.

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback, while I dont think we are going to go the way point route, I am working on adding additional points of interest to the compass, as well as going through the missions and adding more directions to the missions descriptions as well as getting the maps for each zones finalized. Not sure if you have received the map for the area around highstepppe (rough draft still improving map) already which is given out by the NPC Randel on the second mission who is standing near the main Highsteppe gate where you first spawn in. We will also have maps for all the over world zones by launch.

On the note of directions, do you find the signs scattered around the zones to be helpful to find your way around the zone (mixed with the map in your player journal to get a general sense of where everything is), or do you feel there still needs to be more direction added to the overworld.

I have no issue with this. But adding baby mode quest markers to lead you by the nose is a very bad idea.

my biggest problem getting around is caused by those signs. they direct you to where you want to go, but they do so in a very roundabout way. Normally, signs only show you nearby connected areas… but these signs will have you travel through multiple other zones to get where you want. They often even give you a slower route.

A couple examples of this:

1. in the highstep area, the signs for wasteland point you through lamavora, through the basin, and then finally to the wasteland. obviously the faster route would be for you to go through rainforest and then into wasteland.
  2. In rainforest, the signs to lamavora point you through the basin and then into lamavora. They should probably tell you to go to highstep and then into lamavora, because that is a significantly faster route and doesnt route you through a higher level zone in order to get to a lower level zone.

Personally, i think with maps of all the zones it wouldnt be as bad… but there either shouldnt be signs for zones that are not connected, or it should be the most optimal route.

2 Likes

Hi ya Robert,
Sounds good it’ll take time to see how it works.
I agree with Steve_M1 to an extent but everyone needs directions ever been out looking for a place you can’t find you might have to stop and ask someone everyone needs a sense of direction. I agree we don’t need the directions route like in WoW but more info is needed we may just have to wait and see how what Robert plans workout because more direction is needed even noobs need direction:P

Paul.

I noticed that my compass is not showing labels for the directional markers.

1 Like

major directional issue I’ve seen is dying and spawning forward to a place you haven’t been

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.