Anyone have any Alternate Shortcuts for Affliction 2?

I appreciate the elegance of Decoy’s method, but in practice i’ve struggled to get it to work (even after hours of practice). Does anyone have any alternate or intermediate shortcuts? I can consistently draw the full rune, but it takes a while, so anything with less strokes would be useful for applying my DoT’s.

There are several techniques to practice. The old one line shortcut which is to start by drawing a line Down, drawing the level 1 affliction, then line up. There’s no floor or circle in this method.
Another I’ve heard of people using is line mine but instead of the hook, doing the rooftop.
Third one I know of is an N with a O above it. No rooftop, roof, or crossing line

ooh, thanks for the quick reply! these both sound like potential alternatives until i can master the hook – i’ll try 'em out tonight.

Try doing his method with high or ultra gfx settings. (As explained in a different thread for warrior hit detection)… at lower gfx spells are more difficult to cast. And at higher gfx the drawing can be more ‘‘loose’’ and the spell will still be recognized. Blah, blah, blah… explanations… etc, etc… reasons… yada, yada… give it a shot, it might help cast those ‘‘shortcut spells’’

1 Like

@Mnemonic_Ghost yeah i read that post, was gonna try this as well when i get home – ty for the advice!

I was going to trim this video but the sound is too funny. Here is me doing affliction 2. It is a slight derivative of Decoy’s method. I go all the way to the left part and make the hook from there.

https://vimeo.com/263306019

6 Likes

@Neo_Zain this is interesting, looks like your hook is slightly more angular than decoy’s, and the left side of the hook is nearly overlapping with the left ‘wall’ of the house. i’ll try this out after work.

@Neo_Zain, TIL: I’m a crappy mage… those evade skills are insane :smiley:

I do affliction 2 as if I drew the whole rune but instead of the outer “house part” I just draw a circle, I can get very stable affliction 2s and you can draw them as small as a few centimetres. However, I feel like the other alternatives might be faster once you master them. I also am technically challanged (in video making, editing) and cannot make a video of how I do stuff. Just thought to drop this by, maybe it helps.

I was trying to show a couple other forms of affliction 2 when streaming last night but I’m so into my own technique that the others became difficult for me to perform. I’ll make gifs at some point, if you have an image of your own version that you’d like to share let me know and I’ll get it made as well.

1 Like

Alright will do :slight_smile: I can make a short video with shadowplay as well, I just cannot edit it.

wait what… omg… now i need to go see what my graphics settings are set at… I could have been sorcerer supreme and my graphics setting is holding me back :slight_smile: rofl

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.