Bard Orb Ideas (To Help Bard Be Ready for Reborn)

I was thinking about some bard orb ideas/changes to counter some of the classes that don’t have any effective orbs to use against them (mainly paladin) and just general good orbs to help the bard have even more utility on the battlefield:

• A frost orb would definitely help as slows allow the bard to escape easier in pvp scenarios and with pve as a substitute to mage frostbolt. I was thinking of a way to balance this as well, because a large aoe constant slow sounds pretty empowering. However, I think I found a reasonable solution: make it only frost the closest player/mob. This would work perfectly as an orb to help with escaping and clearing content. And what’s even better: make the crescendo of the orb the aoe slow (perhaps to enemies in smart heal range). It doesn’t have to stack twice for the closest person, nor does it have to be a powerful slow, as even a small slow would help greatly.
  • This is the big one: a healing debuff orb. Just like the ranger’s poison arrow debuff (which reduces healing by 10%…I think) this would put a dubuff on nearby enemies that decreases the healing they receive. This doesn’t have to be a 10% debuff, it can be lower or higher, but this would really help bard and of course other classes when paired with it, deal with paladin (It would not solve the ranged one-shot from paladin problem, but at least it’s an effective start).
  • This is an extension of the previous bullet point: The reason I put this in a different bullet point is because this one is for the crescendo of the healing debuff orb. A great idea came in my head for this one: take the orb of defense’s crescendo (the removing of one beneficial effect from an enemy) and make it this orbs crescendo. My reasoning is that it really doesn’t make sense on an orb that is decreasing the damage of projectiles, as the classes you are affecting it with (Mages, Rangers, Scoundrels) don’t receive buffs to crescendo off of them (unless you are counting a musketeer’s renew orb or a paladin buff). Instead, putting it on this orb would not only be useful to counter paladins insane healing, but also could get rid of their own buff on them and their allies! Although it sounds like a really strong counter, this would become the only even somewhat effective orb against paladins (and with their damage not being reduced and being overpowered from a damage standpoint, this is only attacking the resourcefulness of a paladin, which is exactly what a class like bard should be doing!).
  • However, this leaves the orb of defense without a crescendo and just the reduction to projectiles. An extremely easy fix to this is give it the crescendo it was supposed to have! Before it got the one beneficial effect from enemies removed crescendo, it had a projectile shield as a crescendo, which I think suits the orb perfectly.

Not sure if I got all of my points across in this post, mainly I just want my class to be the best it can be when reborn drops (but also not overpowered)! These ideas would give it the 10-12 (10) orbs it was striving for as a class, and still has room for more. Thank you for reading my post!

P.S. Thank you devs for fixing the level 30 talent to continue dropping orbs even if it has crescendo. Now all to do is find what is making crescendos inconsistent then the two major bard bugs will be fixed! :heart:

P.P.S. Paladin is overpowered while shaman is underpowered until maybe level 30 (haven’t gotten to testing). :wink:

Somewhat related (and since I can’t seem to find the original Bard feedback thread right at this minute), when I was in-game yesterday I noticed a lot of new players were just randomly mashing the notes on the marimba as fast as they could to get credit for hitting notes.

Does that actually work? I think there is a delay in how fast you can hit notes so I don’t think it would. If it does work, that kind of defeats the whole purpose of the class, so I’m thinking maybe we need to add some kind of thing where maybe it reduces your overall power a bit each time you hit a key when a note isn’t there (not a ton, but enough so that if you were just mashing keys randomly as fast as possible like that you would have basically no power for your passive effects).

Yep, you can still do it, even with the 10% speed increase talent :sweat_smile: A small decrease each time you missed would make the class much more skill intensive, but I’m willing to try it ingame. I’ve mashed a bit too when I get flustered in fights sometimes…

1 Like

I’m one of those players mashing tiles fast whenever I saw notes comin and decided to rather not play bard, for now. The fast-mash is exhausting and with my (occasional, sometimes better, sometimes worse) lags it’s likely not possible to do any more timing; these are a hell lot of notes thrown at you and I only had 3 instruments equipped … And the main challenge is paying attention to this “mini-game” and to the fights with the marimba in your face, same time, and do the moving around as well, I am not likely able to do that and I also don’t see many bards.

The other thing which turned me off at first sight is that I just could not activate any instruments, they bug out frequently for some reason, only switching to another class helped to make them usable again.

Double-tap to deactivate instruments to switch, can be done in combat aswell. I usually have to switch between increased healing to less damage on DoT’s mid fight as soon as I get poisoned. Either way, quite hard to get used to.

1 Like