Bard Res Please!

I have put more thought into this after @Gundrakk posed the question:

“If bards had a rez, would you run muskies at all in raids?”

And the answer was no, if bards could rez. I would run 2 bards in raids.

This would put muskies in the same situation that bards were previously.

Where the bard is now is good. They are useful and desirable in end-game content. Without overtaking the place of the other healer class.

They are both equally good now, just different.

With different pros/cons for each class that need to be taken into account when deciding which type of healer to have in a situation.

5 Likes

My view as a musketeer is musket is your safety healer for learning and keeping people alive through things they shouldn’t survive.
Bard on the other hand provides damage to dps and can still keep a party alive fairly well just not through stupid decisions.

I feel like that gets rid of the one thing that makes Bard super OP for speedruns and endgame content which is that heal and dmg bonus. 20% is insane. I think if anything we should be forced to play a certain song to do a small range AOE res.

As for cooldown timer? I think that would depend on how big the AOE is.

Big agree ^^

I could be half asleep, Laying down and still heal lvl 15 shard content like a breeze. But when im playing Bard I have to communicate and be aware of everyone. I can’t just bounce a big heal whenever I need to heal multiple people.

I think a bard can actually put out more heals than a musky in some cases. The big difference from musky and bard is that heals as a musky are guaranteed. Bard heals? Are earned.

I’m not saying replace the ult, I’m saying add to it

I may not be completely updated on how much healing bard puts out post buff a while ago but I struggle to imagine bards becoming overpowered if they had a res.

This could be a product of bard being preaty underpowered in the past and therefore less experianced players playing them but the class still appears to me to feel a little overshadowed by musket in terms of healing. I don’t have numbers on this so I could be vastly incorrect but bard certainly feels like it puts out less healing. If I heal most bosses in the game correctly as a musket in a level 15 shard, my cure wounds orbs is not required to keep the tank alive because my passive healing orbs are more than enough. It just feels like with bard your heal burst is a required part of your rotation to constantly fight to keep your tank in the green whereas with musket you put out so much passive healing you can usually save your the best heal orb exclusively as a backup heal for mistakes.

On the note of individual damage, bard does more damage which in group content is fairly insignificant when compared to the numbers your dps are pulling anyways.

The one main advantage bard has which I will admit is a preaty huge deal is their ult. Being able to buff the damage your dps are doing is paramount to basically everything else besides the bare minimum to keep your tank alive. This is the main reason I would imagine bard still probably sees play at high levels.

Realistically though I don’t think giving bard a res would change anything about their niches. It would take away only one of many utilities musket has. Musky still has a turret, leather armor, an ability to intentionally pull agro, long ranged healing, and requires significantly less focus and micro. For example on raids, assuming you are balancing the content for parties of people who actually have to do boss mechanics, muskys can still
Tank ads on boss 2 of gc
Pull clones on boss 4 of gc
Solo circles on boss 5 of gc
Shield all dps on shard jump on boss 1 of citidel
Tank ads on boss 3 of citidel
Tank ads and block orbs with their turret on boss 4 of citidel

Some of these are less useful than others but some of these fights would be much harder without an ability to healer tank or exploit a turret.

Basically I feel like bard is in a similar place as warrior where theoretically its better in end game when survivability becomes more trivial in favor of better dps buff/agro pull but it happens so late in end game that you rarely see it actually see play outside of content done by players who have far exceeded the intended experiance level required for it. I agree bard is in a okay place, I’m starting to see more of them pop up, but I think a res would push it closer to the line instead of over the top

4 Likes

Get updated, the changes they made in the last rebalancing were superb.

You are going to be surprised. :sweat_smile:

I run one Musky & one Bard together in HM Citadel for every fight. If Bards had a rez, I would happily switch out the Musky for another Bard.

Keep in mind that Bard like Mage is an advanced class, in the beginning at low levels (or low experience in playing the class) they are going to suck. If they keep at it and practice practice practice; players have the potential to be amazing.

3 Likes

The thing is, even if bards get res, people still like to see the musky effects. A nice green life-well and a blocking turret shows that they actually having a tangible effect. With bards people can’t see most of what they are doing (no splashy effects) so they don’t realize how much a bard helps unless the bard dies and they suddenly lose all their health.

Now, splashy effects tend to cause more lag so those aren’t the answer. A res would make bard viable in people’s minds so they would be more willing to give them a chance. Right now, no res means (to many) that bards are not “real” healers.

That and if you have a bard, people will want a musky as well, so people will often turn down bards for shards. Whenever I offer to bard, I am requested to tank or dps.

This is fair, I have to explain how vital to the fight our Bards are… to our Bards when training them. :joy:

And man do you feel it it when they die or have the wrong talents.

Think my favorite for explaining it is… “You know why even the most squishy dps can take 4 stacks? That is because of you. A Musky only gives us 2 stacks, then death. We need you!”

1 Like

I honestly don’t think Bard needs a res. Bard and Musky are “Support” classes, not explicitly healers. Bard is arguably the better support class due to it’s larger variety of heals, attacks and buffs. 3 classes currently have res abilites, one from each role, so I think there’s a nice balance between everything as it currently stands.

2 Likes

Don’t forget the existence of beginner tanks. They will cry from bards.

2 Likes

lol, it will make them immoral in the very beginning, and then better tanks later. :wink:

This is facts. When I was a young bard running with tanks that were experienced, everything went smooth as could be. Then I felt confident and went to go heal with tanks that weren’t as experienced and I had to sweat to keep them alive, and as hard as I was working, they would always blame the bard when things went wrong.

Bad tanks breed good healers, and bad healers breed good tanks.

At the end of the day, things are still stacked against bards as healers.

Maybe we’re just supposed to let go of the notion that we will ever be a preferred healer class, and were just simply there for the buffs and supplementary heals.

I don’t like that idea personally, and I’ve worked hard to get good enough to handle almost every situation a musky would be preferred in, but there’s just simply too much stacked against us to convince the masses to accept us as primary healers, and I do believe the rez is a big part of that perception.

1 Like

Well im happy to hear that bard is in a better place now. I would still love to see someone post a parsed breakdown of the exact numbers for heal over time and burst that both classes can do at some point for science though

I think that the bard res should be an instrument that changes after a lot of time and it would make since for it to take an instrument spot

The possibility of this happening across the board (see Warrior) is exactly the reason I do not think bard needs a rez. But if they do get a rez then they definitely need to sacrifice something like you mentioned earlier.

Indeed, the switch over would put musky where bard & warrior were before the rebalance.

I like needing both! it makes the people who like to play both classes a useful/needed/desired addition to any team. :heart:

I don’t believe anything will make musky obsolete. People are addicted to lifewells, turrets and flashy orbs. Often times they don’t think bards are having an effect because they can’t see what we’re doing.

1 Like

I have run with both musketeers and bards on the hardest content in the game as a tank. I 110% prefer bard over musketeer. I can almost guarantee you that if bard gets a res, people will not play muskey as much. Currently, stuff is more or less balanced among the classes. Bard can compete with musketeer, pally can compete with warrior, rangers and scoundrel can compete with mage, etc.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.