Beta 6 Mission and Leveling Curve Feedback

Then you got my point and we actually agree. Why decrease anything, it is all about providing choices. Flood us with quests, flood us with mob xp and event xp so people can choose their favorite way to level.

1 Like

I would love this… but it is a fantasy. The devs specifically said they were targeting 50-70hrs (too long imo for a vr game) for a new player to hit level 30. If you make ppl get more exp from one source, simple math dictates that they would have to decrease it from other sources in order for the target time to be hit.

Why, as long as it’s different sources all is fine. The only speedup would be the kill-quests since you earn more xp /while/ doing them. All other activities also take time, so no, the time is just same if you skip other stuff instead. The xp needs to be upped or equal to provide an alternative. It still takes x hours to get to 30, but you can skip other activities and do mobs instead.
And it’s a major advantage for devs not to ponder what to do with alts; at least as a first hotfix there would be a new possibility to level those.

But I don’t want to argue, I am fond of choices, that’s the whole point, and I miss an important one, the one to just roam through the world and fight to level.

1 Like

Just hit level 30 as a Paladin. Overall playtime something like 19.5 hours in my estimation (I’m not quite sure where I can check actual playtime?). I turned several quests in overlevel or under-achieved (bronze/silver, for the annoying ones). I took part in a few public events, but mainly only did those while I had quests for them. I did no fishing and no battlegrounds.

Mission feedback:

• Wastelands Kill Quests: You seem to get these a bit under-level for the Wastelands (which might be good for the challenge, but all but the assassin scavs there are in groups, which makes them impossible challenges underlevel and solo).
  • Potion Making Scavenger Quests: I did none of these (aside from ruined potion), simply because you have to fish for all of the quests that were in there (or purchase from the AH). I wish there were some quests (or even some potions, looking things over) that did not require fish to produce.
  • Public Event Quests: Probably better suited for the Public Event Feedback post, but several events are impossible for solo players, especially for solo Paladin.
  • Critter Capture Quests: These were, are, and will remain my favorites. I loved finding all of the new critters and going out in the world to capture them. Mutated frogs seem to have the rolling problem still (they don’t even look like they’re trying to move, just gliding across the floor).
  • Scavenger Quests: I think there was some good variety in here, between the ‘collect some money’ and ‘collect herbs’/‘make potions’ quests. Again, didn’t do the potion making ones. The Ithecac potion one was not worded well. I was hoping for it to be (what it says it is) a quest to find things while high on Ithecac. Instead, it was another ‘go in there and waste a bunch of potions’. That type of quest seems a waste to me. Another example was the ‘drink healing potions in the Crypt’ - I basically ended up drinking 10 potions while standing in the anteroom.
  • Kill Quests, in General: A lot of kill quests are too challenging for a solo player because of the way the groups are placed or because of respawn rates (e.g. Tear General, for which I and a warrior ended up in a 10-minute melee mashup with everything there since it kept respawning ontop of us).
  • Dragon Race Quests: I enjoyed going through these the first time for each, since the times were do-able. I did note, however, that when you get the ‘advanced’ stages/repeat quests to go back to your old ones, they become nigh impossible to achieve unless you want to spend hours redoing the same race. A couple times (where I remembered my fastest time, like for Swamp Smash), I took a look at the leaderboard and a look at the quest and said ‘screw it’, because I knew I was never going to reach even the level needed for bronze.

Edit: I got the 20-hour notification shortly after posting this…

2 Likes

All-in-all, I’m semi-content with the leveling curve. I do think that a 20-hour play time is a tad on the low side, but I also felt that I was really ready to hit 30 by the time I got to 25. Having more quests and perhaps less xp per quest/event would be my recommendation. That way we at least feel we have to do more.

Another aside: it seems insane that the Dungeon Ready quests are delivered for the first time AFTER the dungeon level (10/20 at this point). You should get them either at level or before, so you can go in for a challenge before you hit the standard level.

Alt Class Issue:

I strongly suggest to separate missions and provide them 8 times, via class. Reason:

I first got the achievement on a new char, then leveled my main to 20-30 and it was real fun to level him with the same missions - making some different choices because it’s not a dmg-class.

Now I try to level my 3rd class - dropped the 2nd half-way at level 14 - and it is exactly as I feared… since I started at 20 I do have leftover missions, but since I dropped low-level leftovers on the 2nd class already there’s barely any matching my level (which is likely close to the situation a brandnew player is in after getting from 1-30). So I stick around HS and Rainforest with the new class, venturing from event to event, that is all which is to do. Monster kills give 124xp, not really worth going for them, good only to kill time before the events start.
For the rest of missions I end up doing them on my main then dropping them on the alt class, prematurely, to boost it at least a little bit and be at least able to do events in more areas.

It would be perfect if whenever you switch class the mission-set changes to the progress of this class (except perhaps the weeklys which remain same but even these could be adapted). You can only see, work on, pick up and turn in quests when equipping this class. This would allow to actually play each class, fully, visit all areas, do events, do the kill missions etc. instead of feeding it with missions from the main which does not even work past the 2nd or 3rd class.
Also I more or less get punished for leveling alt-classes because others who only play one class can use the xp of leftover missions for the leveling-chests.

4 Likes

My experience with leveling a completely new player during the beta.

I played for about ~2 hours total.

• 30m trying to learn the controls and not being able to harvest mushrooms due to a bug.
  • 30m exploring town
    That left me with about an hour of actual play:
    Finally did the mushroom quest, went to town and got the kill quest for the small sapling mobs by the gate, killed the quest mobs, killed two or three random mobs in addition by the gate.
    Turned it in
    I got to level 3 and change.
    Honestly this seems right in line with any other RPG, about an hour of actual questing and combat, and I got a couple baby levels.

I leveled shaman on a fresh character 1-30 in 24 hours of play time. I did quests from all categories except fishing. I never was too short on quests, and there’s still a lot I have not finished. I was not playing anywhere near max efficiency, but wasn’t just faffing around either. I had PvP and xp gear on 100% of the time, and was playing solo most of the time. I think I could have leveled significantly faster on a class I am familiar with, like runemage.

Overall, this seemed pretty quick for leveling a first class. 20 hours is more in line with what I would expect for leveling an alt class.

Something cool which would pad out the new player leveling experience and encourage them to take time to explore and become familiar with the world before reaching max level would be:

Increase total xp needed to level, but offer a decent bit of xp for discovering certain areas for the first time (eg. crystal caves)
and/or
Hide caches around the map which offer xp and some items the first time they are discovered by a character. (Each character may loot each cache once, they don’t despawn)

There’s a bugged mission.
At lvl 24 there’s a dragon race mission for sky high. i got a 1:10 time and didn’t get any reward on the mission even though it says a bronze is 1:45

So the weekly’s reset today, there isn’t enough to keep people going for a whole week, would you consider doing 1 mission per day from each rep vendor too?

You sure that’s Sky High and not Flying High?

Ahh thanks my bad. just double checked and it was the wrong one.

I guess i will have to read it more carefully from now on since the names are so similiar

1 Like

A - likely last - feedback on leveling since I am largely through with all missions I could do solo:

My list of leftover missions (weekly included):

• 4 Dragon Races I won’t get to bronze; 4 more turned in with Bronze-Silver
  • 2 Group (Witch, Tree Guy); Witch is too hard imo, even on high levels
  • 4 Dungeons
  • 1 Event: Knights Fort (Gold needed, can’t solo)
  • All 22-24 BG Missions (no queue success)

All the rest I turned in with Gold, did events whenever I saw them.

Outcome: One Class 30 (from 20), one 25, one 14

I could squeeze out the remaining 5 levels I’d really like to have on the second class by hoping for the one or other group, doing roughly 50 (gold) events or killing 3000 saplings (ehm, no thx :wink: )
But then it’s still not even 2.5 classes gotten to 30 and one was already 20. Got zero leveling chests so far, all xp went into alt leveling.

An addition to the quests-per-class suggestion above: To not screw up the reputation-progress reputation could only be given on the first quest turned in per character with chance to upgrade rep on other classes.
Example: if you turn in silver, you get 150 rep, if you turn in the same quest in gold from another class it gets you the missing 100 rep for gold, and so on.

This would also allow to try the dragon races on different classes more often until gold is reached. I somewhat lost motivation to try after I turned it in for xp with silver.

And it’s a bit sad that the critter hunt is over so soon, you got your gun, could do it everywhere, but why should you, once a week you will but that’s all… Critter hunt and dragon races should give at least some xp whenever it is done, regardless of quests available.

1 Like

This is not working, also only getting 10k exp for weekly missions, in the video I turn in a weekly mission on a level 30 ranger and then switch to a level 20 mage, both give 10k exp

17:32:44:890 [Loot] Gained 10000 XP
17:32:44:890 [Loot] Earned 250 Reputation
17:32:44:891 [Loot] Gained 750 Dram
17:32:44:892 [Loot] Item Acquired: Small Reward Cache
17:33:05:024 [Loot] Gained 10000 XP
17:33:05:024 [Loot] Earned 250 Reputation
17:33:05:024 [Loot] Gained 750 Dram
17:33:05:025 [Loot] Item Acquired: Small Reward Cache

Edit:

Also turned in a level 6 mission, second chance, dragon race, on a level 1 bard, got 10k exp

20 events later, I figured I miscalculated (edited post above), because that barely got me 2 levels. I won’t level a 3rd class like this. It’s not only slow, but also pretty boring. Even with double xp (75% active) no way. My 60k weekly xp will perhaps go to alts, but if it stays lilke this I don’t think there will be many going for it.

I mean, we leveled 19-20 with the worms before, which most already thought was a pain. But these gave at least 1k+ xp, while now it’s only around 10% of this per mob. Killing mobs is only good to bridge the time between events starting.
Now I counted 3-5 events per hour and zone, with porting and all perhaps this number can be up’ed a little. And yet if we need hundreds of events that is only slowling people down, in theory… I fear the majority (me included) will rather choose to not go for more than one alt class.

1 Like

I think I mentioned this already, but we are working on a system that allows you to get Missions on a certain schedule (e.g. 5 a day banking to 25 or something like that, those are just example numbers), and that will be the intended way you can boost leveling your alt classes so it’s not just 100% grinding. That’s not in yet so it’s going to be painful right now.

1 Like

need more lure quest the story getting good between sislus and darius

Yeah I already noticed that too that there are not enough missions (yeah I dont like to fish or battlegrounds)
But what is the point of that the mobs giving so less exp now? I mean maybe ppl want to grind a bit or whatever, killing mobs in the meantime while waiting for something is atm so useless :woman_shrugging:

I honestly fear that isn’t nearly enough for those wanting to play many (or all) eight classes. The point is not only to level them, sometime, in weeks or months, but to get them to endgame fast if one aims for that; what currently feels odd is that even if I’m investing 20x more time than normal players (like, most or all of the day) there’s no progress matching that.

A complete duplicate of all the missions per class would be most attractive imho, or, if alt-leveling really is only supplemented by dailies, then monster xp should be upped, greatly; at least to half the amounts we had in the original game - which is still 5-6x more than it is now. I think there’s not many people bringing that to attention now because there’s only a handful which are crazy enough to go for alt-leveling AFTER getting from 1-30 on a new char for the achievement, which was not a problem, and AFTER leveling their favorite main from 20-30 (which most do next).

I seriously think about simply leveling my third (and 4th) class on a new char, only that this is a major fuzz because we don’t have a shared chest so I’m missing my items, need to log all the time, the 2nd char wouldn’t be in guild, I can’t easily queue for both classes and so on.

This likely will be brought up after launch again, likely also by new players who got less leftover missions to drop on alt classes.

5 Likes

Okay so I wanted to make sure I went back and looked at the facts on this just to be sure, but I think at this point this is no longer accurate. Yes, they do give less XP overall in terms of the raw amount (i.e. they give 215 XP for a same-level monster whereas in the original game a same-level monster at Level 20 might have given like 400XP), but the XP curve doesn’t work the same way as it did in the old game, so that doesn’t really matter.

What should matter is what % of the overall XP you need to gain a level a single monster kill represents. E.g. if you did no quests (in the old game) or missions (in the new game), how many straight monster Even Match kills would you need to level up.

And it’s actually better in Reborn now than it was in the old game.

At Level 10 in the old game, a single monster kill was 0.6% of a level. In Reborn at Level 10, a single monster kill is 0.55%.

At Level 19 in the old game, a single kill was 0.11% of a level. In Reborn at Level 19 it’s 0.33%.

And at Level 29 in Reborn it’s 0.27%.

So actually in Reborn the value of a monster kill at higher levels is over twice as good as it was in the original game.

So yeah, I just want to clarify that, because there still seems to be a lot of sentiment out there that we somehow nerfed the value of monster grinding in Reborn, and that’s simply not true since the start of this Beta test.

Of course, you have 30 levels to get through not 20, so it’s going to take more monster kills overall to get through them, but in terms of, how many monsters do I have do grind to get a level if I don’t do anything else, at lower levels you’re about the same as the old game, and anything above Level 11, you’re much better off.