Character Height / Sitting vs Standing

I’ve been playing Orbus for a few weeks now and I’ve got a feel for the game. Thanks to everyone who has been working hard to get this game up and running!

I’m a short fat guy without a lot of stamina, so when I try to play this game standing I’m only able to play for short periods of time. I am able to play sitting, but it isn’t a smooth transition as it makes my character seem much shorter than he should be. It doesn’t prevent me from playing, but it would be better if it didn’t happen.

I think it would be great if an attribute was added in character creation to control the height of the character. We would need to have some way to center the view (can be done now on Oculus Rift by hitting the Oculus menu button and selecting the reset view in app option).

This would serve a couple of purposes. The main purpose would be to allow characters to play sitting without changing the height of the character in the game. It would also allow for short people like me to play a taller character.

These changes could all be done within my Oculus settings also, but it would be a nice improvement to quality of life to be able to make these changes in the game settings.

Thanks for your time!

3 Likes

im not short not fat but i am disabled in a wheelchair and this is a problem for me as well if i set my height correctly in oculus i cant hardly make potions because of the height of the table it would be very nice to see an option that was more disabled friendly added for sitting players i know being disabled people dont always realize that vr is a wonderful way those of us with disabilities can experience more of life but its spectacular for that and id love to see more developers consider that sorta thing when making a game im sure there are many like me out there and those who are height challenged like my friend there as well!

Slandaro

8 Likes

I don’t have an oculus but I do have a Vive and during the room setup when it asks for the height, I’ll set my headset on the ground but say it’s between 1 and 2 feet up which gives the illusion for the game that you are higher than you might be. It can make harvest a little nit picky doing this technique but it does still work and you can continue to pick up your loot despite not being able to touch the floor that was set by the room.

yes i already offset the height but i shouldnt have to do that as it ruins my height in other games and going through the setup everytime i switch games can really suck… basically if you do that then switch to something like say arizona sunshine you cant reach any ammo if its on the ground. so yes it is a workaround but its a hugely inconvienant one that isnt practical :frowning:

You can edit this in room setup. Note that your floor will be offset and you won’t reach herbs without smashing the controller. Edeting inside the game requires a bit more mixing, I got a add on to get a advanced mode for my vive, allowing me to switch my headhight. Used it to get out of glitches, move my potion table, grabe loot that rolled into a mountain, and a bit o6f exploring. Sadly the last patch has dissabeld this option and will forcefully log you out upping mixing with it.

I sit whenever I am not in groups, like farming, leveling, because else I get exhausted, too. Yet I truly wished there was better support to play either seated or standing (also for those who don’t have a choice). Playing on Oculus Home (not via Steam), in other games the reset-view Option does the trick, yet in Orbus it doesn’t seem to do much or anything, for example I still can’t look above the grass in the rainforest when seated.

Also I’m not sure if your personal rl-height really should decide if you perform better or worse in bossfights, like, if players stand in between you and the boss and you can or can not shoot over their heads, there must be technical solutions to give each player an equal chance.

3 Likes

Yes I was just thinking about this because of the OpenVR Advanced Settings stuff people were doing. I do think you should be able to set your height as you appear to others regardless of your real-life height. I can also look into providing a setting to offset your own perceived height in the game to some degree (although I’m honestly not totally sure how easy/hard that will be, but I will look into it).

7 Likes

Maybe just a Reset View menu button. Most VR games have that. Resets your characters view to normal height even if you’re sitting.

1 Like

Thanks for acknowledging the thread and responding Riley anything you can do would be great and appreciated!

Slandaro

(on this note) Does anyone else know how to make their character shorter in OrbusVR using Oculus? I’m about 6’ and I’ve set Oculus to say I’m 5’5 but I still am a friggin giant…(towering above NPCs and other players). I’m about eye level with NPCs if I am sitting down. Not sure how to fix this? I feel like altering height through Oculus doesn’t do anything. I have the game purchased via steam, but am not running steamVR.

Oculus application, go to Settings > Devices > Configure Rift > Reset Default View in VR

Should set the rift to your saved hight above floor.

Try adjusting in the other direction. Tell it you are 6’5 instead of 5’5. I don’t know if that will help or not, but would probably be worth a try.

then change it every single time I play other games which is basically what most of us do atm… its just a serious pain for something that would be very easy to implement and although chances are im the only guy in a wheelchair playing it doesn’t seem like a huge request… just saying

+1 For this.

I am trying the game on the free weekend. I have a minor disability (old age) - so I can stand but not for the amount of time needed to get stuck into the game. So at the moment it is a no buy for me - but I will come back when/if it is fixed.

It seems to me a great oversight that the devs did not take disabled people into account with this game, as it is just the sort of experience that would be really wonderful for them. VR opens up such possibilities for disabled people (that is, if they are considered!)
Also, see it from the point of view of discrimination (technical it is) - what if the game was (somehow!) not playable because of race or gender? I think we would see a quick fix then (and rightfully so).

There are players that play sitting down, and with limited movement with the occulus, eg not room scale. Musky can be played like this with the rotate option. Give it a try and see how far you go and if you like the atmosphere of the world.

I play fishing class sitting down. and travel with musky sitting sometimes.

A lot of people have no issue sitting down and playing this game for many hours. Many oculus users who don’t have 3 sensors sit the entire time and use locomotion settings to turn around. So I am not understanding why you are not able to play this game while sitting. I also sit down and play quite often.

I do not think its intentional that the devs are discriminating against disabled people in any way. Slandaro has played quite a bit I think sitting down.

It would be nice to have an in-game option for those who need a small height adjustment so that they can use the crafting tables better or can see eye to eye with NPCs.

I do think the avatar itself should remain unchanged (everyone the same height) so that the devs avoid problems such as hitbox sizes and other things that would come with different heights of players matching their avatars (imagine really short people being low to the ground and tall people floating around).

I will - but my thoughts are more with those who may be wheelchair bound. Even on the tutorial you open the book and it is too high to reach. The belt is totally inaccessible - and the whole thing is an awkward experience - believe me, disabled people feel awkward enough in real life, so they do not want to repeat that experience when playing a game.
I just think a little thought and consideration to those with physical limitations would go a long way. Not only for this game of course. But playing it for a short time, I can really see how wonderful it would be for someone confined to the house and suffering from lack of social interaction (not speaking for myself, but thinking of others). I can also see how limiting the game can be in its current state.

This is strange because the book and belt move up and down according to your real life height. So sitting or standing it should adjust up and down depending on where your HMD is in real life height.

The book should also open exactly where you open it. So it shouldn’t be opening way above you so you cannot reach it.

I have never heard of anyone sitting down have an issue with book/tool belt height to this extent. Perhaps there’s another issue afoot?

Well, I did not say that it was intentional, I am sure it is not. However, sometimes the worse sort of discrimination can be the result of lack of awareness.

I agree that some sort of hight adjustment should be an easy remedy to employ. Also, an alternative menu system for accessing items on the belt. Really all devs need to do is sit in a wheelchair themselves and playtest their games.

We are not just talking disabled people either. This is the sort of game that you want to sink a long play session into, I am sure that playing standing up for long periods would be uncomfortable even for the more able bodied. I can play Skyrim VR for hours on end - I would like to do the same here.

This is strange because the book and belt move up and down according to your real life height.

This may be my sensors glitching out - so point taken, I will try again.
The belt is still hard to access if you have sides to the chair (as in a wheelchair).
However, I stand by my original point, and I am sure that Slandaro would agree. My wife is wheelchair bound and I am almost certain that she could not play it.