Class Balancing

The alternative way of thinking about this is you cant have difficult and rewarding content/hardest enemies if your dps is significantly higher than the rest of the population. (because they will balance the content around the designed dps rate)

in most MMOs, the top few guilds on each server all have comparable skill level and dps, because every class in those games has an absolute maximum dps. Your objective in those games as a dps is to get as close as possible to that absolute max dps (think TAS).

Now look at this game. Every class has an absolute maximum dps, but the absolute max dps for mages is so ridiculously high in comparison to the other classes that there is basically no cap for humans. Any little bit better you get as a runemage translates directly to an increase in dps, whereas on the other classes, you can only creep towards the maximum cap.

1 Like

I was okay with the mage max dps potential IF it didnā€™t have:

• best disable stun in the game (polymorph, single target self controlling hard to accidentally break)
  • best slowing in the game (frost by default and super frost as option with minor dps loss)
  • best damage boost as single mage (10% instead of everyone 5% even support classesā€¦)
  • Best utility (power to decurse, multi stun, mob pushing back, only light creator, only fireworks entertainer and meh shield but still an extra most classes donā€™t have)

So it sounds so unreasonable to be the best potential in everything except for tanking (duh dps) healing (duh not support) and PvP (still very strong insta killer with strong mages though)

Should we on other classes: up the dps boost, make an even better polymorph? Give everyone on demand decurse and up their dps? Or give the mage at-least 1 major weakness like any other classā€¦

Edit: Also it has the best multiple target dps in the game too xD

1 Like

I actually want to see one of multiple of these best benefits of a mage be overruled by a better variant by other classes.

You are both sort-of correct. Mages grow near linearly up until they start hitting the maximum, and then they level off, taking better frame rate/better internet connection to achieve a difference at the absolute limit.

At 0.5/s spell, you are nowhere near this limit, so itā€™s a true statement to say that you can double your output by casting 1/s. After 2/s, yeah, youā€™re probably reaching a limit and itā€™ll taper off. Improvements in skill are limited by framerate, hardware, and the sheer capacity for the server to register things (along with human limits on speed). It does not plateau, but ends logarithmically at some theoretical asymptote that nobody could ever hope to calculate.

Other classes, however, plateau. See precision ranger which gets a theoretical (and calculatable) maximum damage for hitting precisely 1/s at a certain distance. Does it scale linearly on the way to the plateau? Not so much, because of the complexity of the way the timing and aiming work. For lower capability, a smaller change in skill will increase your damage tremendously. As you increase in skill, the amount you can increase in damage is reduced. For higher skill, though, you hit that cap. Basically a logarithmic curve at first with a hard cap, rather than an asymptote.

The same is true for musketeers, scoundrels, shaman, etc. There is a huge curve thatā€™s hacked off at the top for an enforced plateau.

What this means is that mages have a theoretical limit higher than everyone else, because itā€™s not truly capped but asymptotic. More importantly, it also means that unlike other classes where the initial stages of learning to play can raise your effectiveness substantially (logarithmic), you have a linear effect and so crappier mages are not as good as equivalently skilled rangers, scoundrels, etc.

The way to fix this is to make the curve logarithmic. If you give diminishing returns to faster casting, you have achieved this. What you also do, though, is lower the asymptote, which would not be good. So raise the asymptote by increasing base damage.

Then, to make every class balanced, move the other class plateaus to be in line with some % away from a theoretical limit of runemage (remember, canā€™t calculate the asymptote, but you could probably approximate it).

This methodology has the benefit of maintaining the importance of runemage skill (Cam and Sift and J get to be better than everyone else) whilst also making other people and class combinations viable at end game. Win win.

Edit: obviously do NOT enforce a hard cap on runemages. That would be a terrible way to fix this, and is not what Iā€™m arguing for.

2 Likes

Mages use only 1 arm, rangers use 2, therefore rangers should do twice the damage.

11 Likes

The way to balance this is to require top level dps to clear top level content. Hopefully shard 15s will do so.

Neither of you seems to have seen my explanation.

For example, a mage casting 1 spell per second might get 1 dps from fireball (not actually 1, just an index essentially). With 3 afflictions ticking, that dps should go up to about 1.7 (assuming 4 dmg per aff over 15 seconds, 3 affs, so .8 per second minus some dps from casting aff instead of 1 fire). If a mage casts 2 spells per second, their fireball component would be 2 but their affliction component would still just add .7 for a total of 2.7. A 100% increase in cast speed granted a 58% increase in dps here. This obviously is just a spitballed number but it demonstrates the concept.

There is also, of course, the max cast speed. This comes from the server buffer to process the spell, framerate limitations (when you draw fast, it looks like a couple points connected by dots instead of smooth lines, so if you draw too fast you skip points), and the limit of hand tracking framerate. I believe that the best mages in the game are very, very close to this limit.

So no, this wouldnā€™t be possible at all.

However, I absolutely understand that other classes do have damage plateaus around their hard coded maximums. Donā€™t make mages just as bad; give other classes greater returns to skill. Log returns to skill only make the game boring and make everyone the same.

Polymorph is absolutely fantastic, though shaman has the frog totem and it doesnā€™t work on stunning bosses. Iā€™d argue that scoundrels have the best stun (bosses and trash) because the charge shot is quick, on demand, travels much faster than polymorph to allow for quick reactions, and is already part of the normal rotation so gets applied automatically.

I think shaman AOE is better; arcane blast is really weak per hit.

Aside from those, I agree that mage has it better than other classes in terms of utility and max damage potential. Thatā€™s why Iā€™m saying to improve other classes, either by increasing their damage given from increases in skill and/or adding extra utility.

Though you also have to remember that mage is (aside from shaman, which has its own pros and cons) the least mobile dps class. Our spells travel slowly, we canā€™t slide, and moving requires us to send a line of spells into the ground/sky/wherever else.

1 Like

Mage is way harder to master. Good joke though.

3 Likes

Id like to see you play ranger at my level then tell me how easy it is.

1 Like

Give me 100 hours. Easy clap.

2 Likes

Ok let me know when you are ready to test.

2 Likes

Given normal server response time of 100ms, you should be able to max out at roughly 10 spells per second ignoring speed of movement.

Assuming (probably correctly) that the issue you mentioned with it not drawing correctly is due to fps, a doubling of fps would lead do a doubling of spells per second up to the server limit.

A robot would be able to cast at exactly the correct speed to keep up with the fps. There are headsets that get 240 fps

A game should never use fps as a metric for anything. Look at Bethesda and their physics engine for reasons.

It takes more than the server response time to cast a spell; data is sent to and from the server to confirm the spellā€™s success. Youā€™re also completely ignoring the framerate of controller tracking, which is nowhere near perfect. And youā€™re saying your robot will cast spells in 0.00 seconds.

Iā€™m pretty sure you donā€™t get 1 ā€œpointā€ in your drawing every frame rendered either. I usually donā€™t get anywhere near 45-90 points when I cast quickly (90 fps). Itā€™s more like 10 points. I think this form of drawing points is just part of how the game was developed, not tied to framerate.

2 Likes

Index controllers with lighthouse 2.0 have a measured refresh rate well into the 200s

To back this as an actual hard cap to skill level (even though the idea the camera canā€™t keep up with you is very impressive, imo), this not only shows in MLG like Starcraft 2 - where the threshhold to even consider being a pro is 200 clicks per minute - I can give personal experience from an older game called Ragnarok Online. Despite that I was able to get up to roughly 20 clicks per second, and even able to heal 40 person parties as the only healer, it got to the point that the server latency became my limiting factor that would only register roughly one out of every three to four clicks, including the travel time for my mouse to click to apply the heal. There were also comparable versions of this for DPS, but thereā€™s only a handful of players that Iā€™d ever met that had ever attained that speed.

Was the game balanced to keep up with us? No. If we were nerfed to match the ā€œintended scaleā€, would that be fair? No.
Itā€™s exactly what happened when I got on WoW, all healing/dps has a hard cap because of intended cast times and cooldowns, so all my player skill was for naught. So I went and played something simple, because why bother if everything pans out the same and only requires minimal practice?

1 Like

200 apm not clicks(VERY big difference)ā€¦ and itā€™s not MLG, itā€™s primarily WCS. And another to note to this is that apm does not affect skill of starcraft 2, apm increases macro ability along side with micro because you can build and control units at the same timeā€¦ Howeverā€¦ you can only make so many buildings, so many upgrades, so many units in one goā€¦ Someone with 80 apm can do the same thing someone with 400 apm. (Pro scene achieves closer to 400, and thats mostly spamming the same button over and over for no actual purpose). Ex: macro 5 (building select) spam v x6 thatā€™s 6 times but: pros: clicks macro 5 v 40 times. itā€™s just to spam most of the time. APM is an average and pro players tend to spam instead of being efficient, they like to spam to avoid needing to be efficent. Efficent players can do the same thing a spammer can. The only difference of really high apm would be if someone were to try to control more than 10 units individually almost all at the same time.

Edit: you can only build a certain amount of units from 1 building.

Which is why Iā€™m advocating NOT to hardcap mages, just to bring its scaling more in-line with other classes (or, rather, to balance the classes).

No. Adding higher content to the game that requires you have ā€œtop levelā€ of one specific class because that class is broken is insane. Having an edge over people because itā€™s a skill-focused class, I can get behind (and have been arguing for). But itā€™s not having an edge over classes if three or four people can each do 50-60% more dps than a different ā€œtop levelā€ player on a different class (or close to 2x the dps compared to a ā€œgoodā€ player on the same class).

Letā€™s take this to the logical extreme:
Fireball does 1 damage per hit
Affliction does 0.26 damage per hit/tick (ā€œ4 dmg per aff over 15 secondsā€), and can stack 3

ā€œlow tier mageā€ (1 spell per 2 seconds) - 19.04 damage in 20 seconds, or 0.952 dps
ā€œmid tier mageā€ (1 spell per 1 second) - 30.6 damage in 20 seconds, or 1.53 dps
ā€œhigh tier mageā€ (2 spells per 1 second) - 52.12 damage in 20 seconds, or 2.606dps

You are correct that it is not a direct linear relationship, due to the ticking of affliction. ā€œhigh tierā€ still does 2.73x ā€œlow tierā€ and 1.70x ā€œmid tierā€ damage.

I would also like to point out that the relationship between mid-and-higher tiers of mage is almost entirely dependent upon the number of additional spells cast. In 20s, the ā€œhigh tierā€ mage in this case was able to put out 21 more fireballs than the ā€œmid tierā€ mage - the final 0.52 damage is from the additional tick of the second affliction in that second, twice (once on start and once when it renewed). If you progress further, that will still be the case - a 3/s mage will hit with 21 more fireballs in that time, and will get the same additional ticking - thus bringing it to a nearly linear growth pattern (if you removed the damage weight of affliction, the faster mage does equivalently faster damage).

Iā€™m talking about after the other classes are updated to be more rewarding for skill; Iā€™ve said several times this should be done. Mage isnā€™t broken, itā€™s designed better than the other classes.

Iā€™m assuming youā€™re going off of some of our raid combat logs. In straight damage fights (i.e. minotaur), top rangers come much closer. However, in raids there are enough other mechanics (i.e. shooting adds, interrupts, etc.) that mages, who focus less on dealing with fast moving targets that run faster than our spells (also another downside to mage) and more on shooting the boss. Rangers usually donā€™t get their super up for raid bosses, because of the wipes beforehand, whereas in a shard or speedrun encounter the ranger super adds a huge amount of dps while the mage ultimate is negligible.

3 spells per second is pretty far out of the realm of possibility. Afflictions donā€™t get outweighed because we canā€™t cast that fast; they still make up a significant portion of dps.

2 Likes

I enjoy your occasional forum replies :rofl:.

On a serious note; Finding a way to increase the skill cap to damage ratio a bit for other classes would be great. What would be the best way for example to add damage bonuses to other classes for skilled end-game play?

2 Likes

The video I watched called them ā€œclicks per secondā€ and then clarified ā€œmeaningful clicks per second, as in each one has to accomplish something.ā€ I didnā€™t feel the need to clarify this, but you have.
And Iā€™m not sure what WCS is, but I do know it was a video about korean starcraft players and how hard it actually is to go pro (get sponsorship) there, for starcraft and starcraft 2.

This also falls 100% in line with the gameā€™s limitations, as Cam and I both mentioned.

And I agree with you. If thereā€™s no reward for the hard work, then thereā€™s no point in putting it in. If every class curved the way runemage did in damage to make them all viable for all content, assuming the player is sufficiently skilled, then every class could be just as rewarding and lead to overall much deeper gameplay throughout.

Exceptionally well said.

Iā€™m really not getting this cam.

Average bosses are designed around around average dps.

High end bosses are designed around what would be called high dps.

Extream high shards should be based around Max possible/ higest seen dps.

Now tell me, what classes dps do you want the devs to do the calculations with? Because if they donā€™t pick mage, itā€™s going to be a catwalk for groups with several mages. But if they do pick mage no other class is a valid option to play.

Would it not be better to add diminishing returns to mage, cutting off the extream difference, and making it a not so extream difference between a good and a great mage?

1 Like