Class Balancing

Oh I didn’t know that

“Bro”, he he. “Grow up”? Not sure what any of that has to do with anything.

Just wanting all classes to be more “efficient”. You seem a bit touchy about a class in a video game. I’m sorry if the fact the rune system is broken has an effect on your ego.

I’m simply saying, if the runes had to be drawn properly it would effectively correct the “cool-down” of spells, thus reduce the class DPS, and help balance it.

funny thing is that usually in magic, when you start randomly changing spells, you get unintended consequences. you know that affliction you cast without the proper rune? yea, that turns you into a rabbit.

Jokes aside, i’m well aware that they did this on purpose, as it gives you a method to make it faster and come up with your own shortcuts. What would it be like if they changed it so that it wasnt just success/failure and your spells do significantly better damage the closer they are to the original rune?

This way speed wouldnt be as much of an issue as accuracy (if they balance it properly). Maybe a talent choice would give you a buff to minimum damage for speed or a buff to maximum damage for accuracy.

Obviously this would require major changes and you would have to relearn all your spells, but i feel like this would be more rewarding than just casting faster

It has all to do with the fact that you were acting like a child… bro.

Well then we can agree that shortcuts are a good thing?

Its not broken. If it was broken then they would fix it.

Or they could balance the other classes around the 1 that the got right.

1 Like

If they change anything about the recognition system it will have an effect on shortcuts.

Casting really fast is way more rewarding than you think it is. It really feels like all the time that you have invested has paid off.

1 Like

sounds about right, took me about the first hour to get a fireball from a B with sharp edges (so as seen), took me about a full 3 hours to get a curved B, took me about maybe around 6-10 hours to even get 1 fire out of the D instead of a frost.

2 Likes

It doesn’t even seem right to call them shortcuts. Maybe “alternative methods” would suit them better? They definitely don’t speed anything up during the learning process.

1 Like

Well, there goes this attempt to balance classes. See y’all in the next thread, I guess

4 Likes

It looks like you used the dps numbers from the wrong collumns. Notice how dps at 0.5 is only .03 less dps than at 1? It should be 1.76 for 1, 2.465 for 1.5, 3.075 for 2, and 3.957 for 3 according to your screenshot. You can also change around the rotation for the 0.5 to increase damage, and you can try not using triplicity too. I got 1.085 for 0.5 speed.

As for additional mages, that just means everyone does less damage individually. We tend to overstack and overlap afflictions too, because it’s nearly impossible to tell how many are up at any time and when other mages use them.

I also want to point out that skill doesn’t linearly translate to casting speed; it’s very easy to go from 0.5 spells per second to 1 spell per second, but much harder to go from 1 to 1.5 etc. (as archive mentioned).

I’ve seen a lot of people talking about how bad scoundrel is now. However, most of their lack of damage comes from a few things:

• Misconceptions about what cards are important and what burning them does (extremely common)
  • Failure to curve accurately, efficiently, and early enough to keep the buff up constantly
  • Missing shots
  • Suboptimal talent selections
  • Focusing too much on cards instead of bullets
  • Lack of tilesets (yes, there are tilesets that proc reliably in bossfights and dungeons)
  • Lack of any strict rotation that maximizes dps (i.e. overloading or underloading the chamber)
  • Spending too much time charging shots, instead of shooting them as soon as the barrel finishes rotating

All of these factors combine with the fact that very few people have practiced scoundrel extensively, and none have done so as much as people have practiced ranger and mage. Aside from the card rotation, which relies heavily on probability, it’s relatively easy to calculate scoundrel dps considering all bullets do the same damage and the chamber reloads at a fixed rate. When factoring in party wide buffs (bard + mage), potions, consistent tile procs, weapon affixes, and good armor bonus rolls, an optimized scoundrel can theoretically pull around 70k with a +4 weapon by my count. While this accounts for a little margin of error, and assumes that the best card combination doesn’t always happen, it’s still rather difficult to achieve the theoretical max. However, scoundrel numbers should be much higher than most people are pulling. One of the biggest factors in that is the lack of tilesets. There are multiple options that proc tiles for scoundrels with disciplined rotations.

Ah. I see now. Fixing! That would explain the weird discrepancy in the DPS function, but doesn’t really affect the overall conclusions.

Please send rotation and data. Best rotation I’ve got with no triplicity is

DPS AVG DPS
1.1062255 1.0061509

Even though I talked with you about it, I am still skeptical of this high result. Will do my own research on it soon to confirm or deny this. Missing what you included and excluded from the dps boosting calculation, curious what all the factors were again if you don’t mind telling (e.g. tilesets, other classes weakness buffs, bard)

This is the “perfect” bonus that you can get.

Accuracy is already more important, as a non-perfect spell is more DPS than an incorrect spell.
With travel time difference between spell levels and movement requirements for mechanics, this talent seems unneeded.

They said that they didn’t want to change the warrior combos to keep people from having to relearn them, there’s no way they’d make such a massive overhaul to a system that takes exponentially longer to learn.

Not to be rude, but can you tell me how you arrived at these numbers? To my knowledge, the only way to accurately guage numbers like these is with a parsing program, but to my knowledge nobody uses them despite them being allowed (again, to my knowledge) unlike certain other MMOs, so is there an estimation forumula everyone is using (like atro’s up there) that I don’t know about or something?

Please note that the perfekt bonus can be achieved with shortcuts as well.

1 Like

Depends on the shortcut, but yes it is possible to get perfect “bonus” although the damage of bonus hasn’t really been able to be test as far as I know, since runemage’s spells are varying by a wide margin in the first place.

But at a glance:

B fireball with Straight edges (As seen) I can probably get 50% “perfect” bonus.
B fireball with curved edges about 30%
D fireball 1 every 30 casts about I get perfect, sometimes more, sometimes less.
along with this with the P-frost cast I get about 30-40% perfect.

Some shortcuts achieve perfect better than others. and I do want to see if perfect means 1% or what or if it’s even noticable, maybe spell damage is based on how well you drew the spell in the first place (the game recognizing the points in the system) and based the damage off that, and “perfect bonus” was just the game giving an indication of the threshold of about 90% accuracy and actually didn’t give a bonus.

ex:
50-100%
22k-30k
78%= 23.4k damage
89%=26.7k damage (not perfect)
90%=27k damage (perfect “bonus”)
^ this is an example and just a hypthesis I had.

From the very little testing I did on runemage, the perfect is a 50% damage bonus, since a friend that thought about playing one asked before. I assume the intent was to give them a skill-based “crit” of sorts.

Did a lot more testing on scoundrel though, tbh. Learned that unboosted flint card gives ~5.2% effective damage boost due to the defense debuff.

I’m leaving this thread up despite people flaming each other earlier because there’s good, productive discussion and I think it’s really valuable to have (and the dev team is reading all your comments and thoughts on the state of balance too, we appreciate it!)

But from this point on if you’re hostile to somebody else or attacking them you’ll get a warning & potentially silence in order to keep the thread on track. Thank you.

12 Likes

Perfect cast does not give 50% damage increase. I think you were noticing a crit which is at default 50% damage increase.

Just to show i slowed down and casted some nonperfect and some “perfect” also for some testing for the damage itself.

as you can see there does seem to be a damage increase from casting so my theory was just debunked but it’s defintely not 50%. (The numbers that go to the top right means its a crit.)

it looks like from the numbers itself however it’s anywhere between 4-10%? roughly. 4-10% is a big difference compared to 50%.

Edit: also shows that I get at least personally more “perfect casts” on sharp B’s and a little less on curved B’s and rarely on the D’s.

Edit: my hypothesis could be true actually just harder to know exactly since there isn’t any indication of what % of accuracy I had.

1 Like

@Archive I tested before in the past that the most perfect cast is 20% more damage then the most sloppy cast. on about halfway through it starts making the sparkle pop sound.

1 Like

Yes but without perfect casts the range of the damage is still high in variety is it not? I think it’s hard to give a solid number besides just the range, which I guess you could say it can range 20% difference, but has an average of: x%.

yes there is a range of 10% in the perfect cast and the non perfect cast area. so someone who casts non perfect casts very accurate can cast max 10% more damage then the sloppiest caster xD But it never happens in practice. getting on that border is really hard to do lol. so on average will be more like 5% for someone never casting perfects.