Client/Server communication issues

During certain synchronization issues with game myself and people I play with are dying to mechanics even when properly avoiding them. This has increased lately to the point where on several occasions the entire team has witnessed a player avoid a one shot mechanic and still get killed by it. Other times the player will move client side but to everyone else they are standing still. I have found that when this happens to me I have to relog and when I come back my character model is in an entirely different spot from where i logged out.

Many times i have observed a player standing still but you can here them in an entirely different area in content where proximity audio is active.

In raids this causes mechanics to be unable to complete. Relogging seems to be the only fix. This has the potential to happen numerous time during all content. The most I’ve seen is up to 15 times within a 30 minute period on one person alone.

It’s been happening to me a ton lately. I sometimes need to re-log within minutes of getting online, and up to a dozen times in a shard run. My internet is 600mpbs so it’s not my connection speed.

I have been telling a bandaid method to everyone in raids to always jump out +slide or jump out + second jump. Basically doing the equavalent of all recent class fixes but faster: Sending in another package that YOU JUMPED OUT by making another hop/slide.

1 Like

This, like many other desync issues get much better at least for me personally when using the websocket connection. This is not available for everyone on the login screen for some reason as I’ve found out, but if it is available, I recommend trying with it.

Websocket connections are inherently TCP protocol, and TCP makes sure packets get delivered, and in the right sequence. The default connection is UDP, which is a fire-and-forget protocol which doesn’t give a fuck whether you, or the server, receives the data. Combine this with Quest’s WiFi, which as a protocol is very prone to interference and general packet loss and you have a nightmare in your hands

The bit above is just a gut feeling based on my own research to the issue, and may or may not have any truth to it so take it with a grain of salt

1 Like

Ya, sadly with my work I learned that TCP isn’t that guaranteed in every implementation as they sell it being the case.

I can disconnect the physical wire making communcation impossible, and the device sends multiple packages over tcp and takes 10+ seconds of sending packages to realize it is not arriving. Good bye previous data xD

That just depends on your TCP stacks implementation. The protocol by default sends and receives ACK messages, as in when peer A sends data to peer B, peer B will always respond with and acknowledgement packet (ACK), letting peer A know that the data was received. Depending on the handshake parameters, a certain number of retries is attempted if the ACK for a certain packet is never received, before its considered packet loss. So no, TCP probably (and hopefully lol) won’t queue up data from the beginning of the connection, but rather it will attempt a fair number of times to re-send the data should it not receive the ACK-message. It can be (mis-)configured to attempt hundreds of thousands of times, essentially never considering a single packet lost but that brings a whole host of other issues

UDP doesn’t do any of this at all, because UDP is a “connectionless” protocol, so there is no handshake to agree on these parameters. UDP is literally “heres an IP address, and a port, just shout at it really loud and hope it hears you. You won’t know if they heard you, because they won’t tell you, but you just gotta keep hoping”-protocol. It has certainly its place, because its fast, has far less CPU overhead, and network overhead because of its simple nature, and it works wonders for games in general where its not the end of the world if you miss a packet or two.

In Orbus’ case however if it is as I suspect and it is a packet loss based issue, its not the end of the world but it might be the end of an attempt on a boss, which is very annoying as well. That is neither here or there, and its getting off topic lol

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.