Closed Beta Two Feedback Thread

Yes that is coming.

Int increases the ability damage (e.g. the poison, the heals, etc.). Strength increases the basic damage from your bullets.

1 Like

Thank you good sir. :cowboy_hat_face:

Iā€™m not sure exactly how the icons match up to difficulty, but I have a picture:

I ground out ~25% of level 10->11 on these beta 1. Never managed to kill one in beta 2.

I donā€™t know all the systems involved, and this may be more complex than itā€™s worth but: Maybe a system where a single direct heal or shield bullet doesnā€™t put you in combat, but puts you on a list where you will be in combat if you do another before the battle ends?

Yeah, I went back towards the end of the test and tried again. I think the issue there was that the damage hit comes through earlier in the melee attack animation than I was expecting (like as they wind back with the axe as opposed to when they swipe with it). I havenā€™t really messed with Warrior for the last several playtests so I think itā€™s mostly just a matter of me needing to learn the little nuances to each mob. The boar was the one I couldnā€™t seem to figure out for the life of me, I definitely want to try the swing-the-sword-up-but-just-left-of-them to see if it helps register, as you suggested.

I play using the Oculus Rift+touch, using slide locomotion with the left thumstick for movement and the right thumbstick for turning. With the runemage, when my wand is out in my right hand, I canā€™t use the turning thumbstick. Itā€™s pretty annoying to have to put the wand away in mid combat to turn and adjust positions, when other classes donā€™t seem to have that same restriction. (e.g. the musketeer can freely turn with gun in right hand). Also, it would be nice to be able to adjust the turn sensitivity.

All MMOā€™s iā€™ve played put you in combat if you heal someone whoā€™s also marked for combat.

The only difference, is that thereā€™s a movement penalty in Orbus for being in combat.

I donā€™t necessarily agree with the movement penalty, if were talking about immersion and fairness. Especially for ranged classes, who traditionally need to kite for survivability. Not to mention, movement also impairs your ability to aim, which makes it tougher to land a hit, and increases the likely hood of pulling nearby adds. Movement really only really gives advantages too 2 of the current classes, which would be the Ranger, and Musketeer. You have to be in close with the warrior to land attacks, and you canā€™t draw a rune with a rune mage while in motion, at least with how the drawing mechanic works right now. (though they have the push-back spell, which potentially helps with that gimp).

Some more feedback on my part. Thereā€™s nothing on the inventory UI that indicates what is soul-bound, and what isnā€™t.

Also, are you set on the current looting system? where everyone individually has a chance to get loot of each kill, or will you potentially put in a ā€œloot poolā€ system, for so a party could share loot? or alternatively you could make never been equipped bind on pickup items tradeable to other members of a party for a small duration of time.

And finally, some sort of event log would be awesome too. Somewhere we can check our Damage/loot/dram and others nearby (or in party) whom triggered said events.

Valid point in regards to traditional MMO - however, the devs are making a VR MMO thus trying new things :slight_smile:

I managed to play a little at the weekend, and enjoyed the hour or so I had. The ā€œbigā€ stuff is very much there. The world feels right, the NPCs, the monsters, my house, movement, combat, I love it all.

I especially loved the musket, I hadnā€™t played that before, and love the healing options.

The improvements Iā€™d like to see are probably all on your list already, but Iā€™ll list them anyway. These are not criticisms of course, just things where I think the game feel might be improved:

Most importantly: The grip to hold stuff is very different to other VR interactions, where trigger is typically used to hold stuff. I get that gripping your hand on the controller is like gripping a thing in the world. But then so is trigger finger. Thatā€™s actually a ā€œgripā€ movement too. I find it totally counter-intuitive that me gripping my index finger tightly on the controller is reflected in the world as me extending my index finger fully. Iā€™d really, really like the trigger to be my gripping action, even if itā€™s just a configurable option.

Other stuff:

• Itā€™s hard to identify a level appropriate zone. Maybe Iā€™m missing something, but nothing about a monster (or a quest) clued me up to its level of difficulty.
  • Moving things around the inventory is a little clunky. itā€™d be more intuitive if you could grab an icon (with trigger ;-)) and drop it.
  • Some NPCs had ! on them, but I couldnā€™t interact. Was it because they were a shopkeeper? Did I already have the quest? Not sure about this, but it felt like I was missing something.
  • NPCs should turn around when you wave from behind. It dropped immersion for me when I spent time positioning myself before a conversation. Although, on reflection, I might not have tried waving at them from behindā€¦ Is this already a thing? I may just have been being polite and wanting to face them before I waved.
  • The ā€œQuest acceptedā€ text appeared too low in the view, and was locked to the view. I kept finding myself trying to look at it, but it stayed just out of the ā€œcomfortable to read zoneā€. Iā€™d prefer the text to spawn higher and stay where it spawns in the world.
  • Sliding was good for locomotion, I had no issues. It might be nice to have a ā€œturn left/rightā€ option though, sometimes that felt like what I wanted, but maybe I just need to be in VR more often
  • Turning the compass upside-down feels like a contortion every time I do it. Am I grabbing it wrong? If it initialised 90 degrees over to start with I could go either way easier
  • Journal - I love this thing. I canā€™t wait for it to have more information. Especially a help section. Like how to make potions, use weapons, interactions etc. I assume that better quest details will come at some point, possibly with an indication of where the zone for it is (the ability to mark on the compass? + distance? + level of quest?). It took me ages to work out I just need to put it back in my backpack. Iā€™ve been burying it in the ground when I was finished with it. Some form of index would be nice too.
  • The Icons in the backpack could use something to denote the class of something. Ammunition/quest item/weapon/junk/ingredients etc. Maybe have different sections of the pack for different types of stuff.
  • I found it time consuming to try and put my ingredients in my potion bench. Add a ā€œdeposit ingredientsā€ button maybe?
  • I like the tooltips on the icons, although they could be tricky to activate. Maybe have some way of clicking for the tooltip?
  • Could you put the potion bench chest on the bench please? Or on a little table? Itā€™s too low for me! The same goes for monster loot. Could it float a little like in Vanishing Realms?

Much looking forward to the next test. Youā€™re doing a terrific job!

1 Like

Iā€™d heavily agree with making the tooltips easier to activate. Any time I tried looking at the tooltips they would take forever to appear if at all. (I think this may be due to my hand shaking some while trying to pull them up).

Moving things around in the inventory is an issue because selecting an item is kinda clunky. Instead of just being able to touch the item to select it, you need to stick your finger completely through it, and sometimes that would double-touch it, deselecting it immediately.

Also, it would be nice to either get a pair of binoculars or a scope, or maybe make names and levels appear bigger when youā€™re farther away. Itā€™s very hard to see a mobs difficulty until youā€™re withing aggro range, and you need to be really close to players to read their names.

@Cassadin, thereā€™s an option to add in a ā€˜turn 90 degreesā€™ to the controls in the movement option menu. Also, for turning the compass upside down just do a motion like youā€™re emptying a bottle of water.

1 Like

If you didnā€™t know mate. You donā€™t have to bend all the way down to pick thing up. Just stick your hand out and point toward the loot bag. You should see a circle icon indicate that you are within range to press the grip buttons. Once grip is activated it will fly into your hand like Luke Skywalkers light saber. :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

[quote=ā€œSour, post:557, topic:2685, full:trueā€]
You donā€™t have to bend all the way down to pick thing up. Just stick your hand out and point toward the loot bag. [/quote]
Oooo, ty. +1 to that! Me and my old backā€¦ :older_man:

1 Like

Yeah, it definitely helps with loot, though I do agree that it might be nice to add a similar type of access circle to the chests on the floor in your house for just ease of constantly having to crouch/bend over.

More feedback, though a bit late:

Note on out of combat teleport locomotion. I feel like this may have been the case, but I didnā€™t necessarily test it. I believe, if you charged the full distance for a teleport but only used half the distance the remainder of the charge is not stored for the next teleport, and you had to charge from the beginning again.

Also, a circular teleport range would be more balanced than a rectangular range. You can teleport 41.4% further on the corner, then a flat edge of the rectangle.

1 Like

I meant to put the rectangular teleport thing in my feedback as well. Iā€™m not sure why it is a rectangle vs a circle. It would make more sense to have a circle.