Darkness afix please

Can we get a minor affix that adds the lighting from mines To the dungeons when the affix is active.

4 Likes

or even darker actually, make lanterns and lantern potions and light spells more relevant(except the light spell needs to be sticky again) and maybe you could throw your lantern to stick like the grinding device

6 Likes

I deleted my comment to calm down first, but I find all this darkness hype just depressing… I guess people are used to it from horror content or dungeon crawlers, I played other VR games like these. However, in Orbus it’s about tactics, not being surprised by scary mobs around the corner. I don’t really like playing nightly either or in general not seeing surroundings clearly when playing. There’s barely colors in the game, now they are melting together into greyish-blackish-brownish even more. The Maeo entrance in the OG was just a pitch-black pit to work thru, at times, annoying for so many I played with. Only checked Broken Halls so far, but found it a great disimprovement compared with before. My favorite dungeon, design-wise, is temple, exactly because it’s colorful, got impressing lightning and does not look that boring like the all-dark cave standard style many games favor.

Plus we almost never got mages in groups, so yea a fix for the spells would do nothing in this case. I also don’t see the belt light doing anything much, but distracting from actual play and mobs. To change it so that it does not take up a potion spot, at least, or that we could stick it somewhere along the way (or anywhere, like the musky turret) would be good.

PS: What would an “affix” even do btw? Half the dungeons are dark now anyway, would it make BH even darker, like, without light you can’t find your weapon? Would it make airship dark, like, putting a smog over it? (oh wait, there’s a day-night cycle anyway…)

You must have not seen Abandoned Mines if you actually think Broken Halls is dark. Check it out, having a dark dungeon is really cool, i can imagine this affix just lessens the intensity of the lights placed in the dungeons, resulting in a dark environment.

This being an affix is totally something i can get behind. It would be very fun!

2 Likes

One bad thing though:

it seems like most light options like the thinkering lantern are not lighting up the area enough to be useful in any way (to small reach). Low experience to say alot about it though… Do others have this observation too?

3 Likes

Yes Scott, i messaged a few of the devs with some feedback on the lighting and that was something i brought up (with some video). The lantern light appears to glitch into the ground or something in most spots, in some areas of Abandoned Mines it was a full brightness, other than that it was extremely weak, almost non-illuminated. And also mage lights still doesn’t stick.

Now we can only hope they look into it, because i like the darkness levels of mines, but we are likely gonna need something done about the current lighting solutions.

1 Like

Yup I checked out mines only today… it’s basically all I don’t miss about the OG. As a healer I need to see everything, not stumble around guessing where everyone is. Wonder if the weak spots for rangers are even visible from a distance, there’s so many issues w that kind of environment, idk where to start really.

Ideally in that situation everyone would have lanterns, so you would be able to see everyone no problem. Hopefully they can look into the effects of the lantern, because its pretty underwhelming atm, but certainly still easy to tell where someone is. Should all intended light effects we are given work, (mage light, lantern potions, lanterns and other small light producing effects) there should be no visibility issues at all, given proper preparation.

Good note on the ranger dots, i don’t know if those are actually effected by light or a lack of it. But even if it is, there shouldn’t be a massive issue seeing them, but will need testing.

2 Likes

Darkness affix would be amazing! It’d really up the immersion level in those dark dungeons, using Light/torches/lanterns to see better. I’d freaking love this and probably spend WAY too much time on those!

1 Like

I’m sorry but I compleatly disagree, hence the post.

I do not have this issue on ether of my healing classes, I played the dungeon a few times. Its pretty easy to do.

The whole point of afixes are to add a challenge, Im saying add it as a minor afix so it doesn’t appear for a full week on shards but it is such a fun thing for a small challenge.

when we went in to the dungeon near enough the whole party said “this is amazing” it looked grate it was nice to see a dungeon with no lights in it to be dark.

frankly the other three dungeons (that including sewers) need to be darkened a bit more (and have the blue lighting lowered because the dungeons now have a heavy blue tint to them). though broken halls is meant to have torches on the walls they don’t have lights on them which I think was an oversight on the map editors part.

Its not about horror or dungeon crawlers its more about an underground dungeon with no light scorses being lit up like it was out in a fields.

I don’t quite understand how you cant find your weapon in the current lighting.

and yes a dark fog would make the airship a lot of fun.

There are a bunch of fun things that come from a little darkness in a dungeon. Currently the mines became my favourite dungeon because it became such a cool looking dungeon, Its a nice balance between dark enough to be fun but not dark enough where you can’t see 5 foot in front of you like TST does.

1 Like

I think my graphics are just different than others… some stated they still can discern mobs, well I am not, it is all melting together (Rift S here). Trying to make a screenshot. This is not “a little darkness”, it is pitch-black, for me. However it possibly does not come across if your monitor also shows the pic differently, brighter than mine…

However, if everyone’s fine I will adapt I guess
Just in the OG there were tons of complaints about Maeo, none even reaching forums, ever, so well.

Your graphics are perfectly fine, the dungeon is really dark as i said before, thats normal. Make sure to get a lantern, and have other members with it as well. It is very dark atm, even with lanterns. Lanterns and such may need adjusting.

It should be as dark as for you to be only barely able to see afflictions when looking hard without light sources.

youre complaining about THAT level of darkness? you can see everything, id like it darker honestly

2 Likes

Holy crap that’s overly dark.

You know on each screen pics look different…? So likely posting it does nothing much. Fine if you can see everything. On this picture - and more important, inside the mines - I see 2 glowing crystals and 6 little dots, the level indicators (the “mobs” I am fighting; they are “healthbars” and “dots” now, just as OG Maeo Sanctum). That is basically it.
But I guess we really need to wait for now what is done with lanterns and stuff, if those bring no change I am looking into pushing up gamma from my side but I already read this is not that easy in VR as for pc games…

PS: And other than that, I am pretty amazed over people trying to tell others their visual impression is fine when it’s not… what people see and like, environment-wise, color-wise, brightness-wise is not only a technical, but also subjective thing, not changeable by denial of others or their own experience. It is what it is. I just state my opinion on it and I actually know I am not the only one finding things too dark OR don’t look forward to fuzz around with those lanterns while fighting just to be able to fight better.
It’s actually similar to the golden-egg mutation some like, but others don’t; I simply don’t like minigames in MMO dungeons, I wanna focus on fights and my classes.

PPS: None of those now fighting eagerly for their precious darkness was mentioning dungeons being too light, for months, btw. They weren’t a problem. The first wish for more darkness (to enhance immersion, not actual gameplay) occured only recently. Not once in the over 640 runs I did - 168 of these Broken Halls -, anyone uttered “oooooh Broken Halls (or any dungeon) is too light, it does not look like a dungeon”. Because it did. As well as Crypt, Sewers, and Mines. It was mentioned often the raid floor being too bright, so you can’t see white ground AoEs in daylight - THAT is some urgent issue needing to be adjusted, because it detriments gameplay. Now too dark environments are doing same, at least for some. In the OG in every 2nd random group one was cursing Maeo for being too dark and/or finding the tossing around of torches ridiculous (which really did not work well either, in the end, once timed, you just nuked stuff in the dark, getting it over with). I just don’t look forward to that in Reborn.

Who wants immersion doesn’t need to impose that on everyone in the endgame, roleplaying is fine in the overworld, questing and farming - why not make overworld caves darker?! There I got no ticking timer, I can run around with my lamp like a real miner and wear my mining or pot hat so the stones don’t fall on my head and what not :smiley:

Talking about something that is actually too bright. Airship dungeon in daylight is hated by our group and we rather avoid it when it is that bright. Or when it is in light transition it is impossible to see your scoundrel bullets fly because same background air color.

4 Likes

Does the lantern potion still have that annoying loud repeating sound? Really surprised the new lantern isn’t a significant light source. Especially after the Dev’s comments about it and giving people time to make them before the change.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.