Dragon Gatherer Bonus Could Use a Buff

The title says it all. My main issues with this are:

A. My dragon pet is too slow to keep up with me while adventuring and will often run past resources to catch up with me.

B. The effective range is very small. I need to stand so close to the resources that, paired with problem A, makes it not worth waiting the extra time to let my dragon gather them.

The point of the gatherer bonus is to make gathering resources hands free and easier, but right now it feels to me like the dragons could use better range on the bonus and a movement speed equivalent to players to keep up.

But who knows, maybe I’m alone on the idea and it’s just fine where it’s at. Thoughts?

7 Likes

Agreed. At least make them keep up.

3 Likes

I love my gathering dragon, it’s a serious quality of life improvement to finally not have to pull out my pickaxe anymore, I like gathering stuff again (and even more the plunderer one, SO cool).
That said, I agree with OP, it does need improvements since it is a bit funny to dance around some resources, waiting for the little one to catch up :wink:

1 Like

You shouldn’t have to stand over the resource until your dragon grabs it. If you just run past it, the dragon will target that resource to run and pick it up while you keep walking. If your dragon has a target to pick up and you run past another resource, it will ignore that resource. I kept it that way because we didn’t want someone to be able to run laps hoarding all of the resources. Gotta give players with no pet a chance to nab the resources too.

Now if it is taking too long for the dragon to reach that initial target then the problem probably stems from how the dragon follows you. I know there were complaints before about the dragon being way to far behind the player, but I thought we did something about that. In that case I could maybe look into giving the dragon a time limit to reach the resource. So if the dragons pathing is taking longer than 3 seconds to get to the target resource, it would just teleport to the resource and pick it up. So then worst case scenario it would only take 3 seconds (or some X amount of time).

But we just have to be careful making it too effective since players can compete against each other to pick up resources.

If you have been running for a while, and your dragon is lagging a bit behind, then you do have to wait a little bit on the node or the dragon will sometimes ignore it. Also, the dragon will sometimes refuse to move if you are not moving. So if for instance, i run over a harvestable node, and then stop, the dragon will some times stop in place as well (before it gets to and harvests the node) and then i need to shimmy in place to get the dragon to finish pathing. This is particularly a problem because you cannot queue up multiple harvest nodes for the dragon to gather, so you have to stop and wait for it to get the first one.

This isnt really an issue. The VAST majority of the time there is no competition at all for wilds resources. When there is, its not about who can harvest faster than the other person, its about who can kill the other player/scare them away.

2 Likes

I like the 3 second idea and do believe it would resolve some of the current issues I have with it. However, I also have to agree with Human in saying I’ve rarely to never “raced” someone for another resource, wilds or not. I think a small increase in move speed or the teleport to resource after 3 seconds idea would be a sufficient buff to the gathering bonus. My main focus of this topic was to address using my gathering tool, even with a gatherer dragon, because he was too slow.

1 Like

I agree with Blazen. I love the feature on this dragon but it simply can’t keep up with me. And even when I stop and wait for it the little guy’s targeting radius seems noticeably smaller than the plunder radius. I’m not asking to be spoon-fed resources, but by the time the dragon reaches me I can harvest everything my self.

1 Like

Plunder radius is basically as far as you can kill something, gatherer is 5 meters from you and only looks for one resource node at a time.

I second that, wild competition is not about speed and I like to add that it doesn’t seem an issue outside the wilds as well. I used to go to overfarmed spots like the Linstanium one, mostly I am alone there and when I really see a player farming I don’t run to be quicker than him, that would be silly, but I go elsewhere first or wait a little for respawn once he’s gone, killing mobs.
It even happend that I was farming things off and heard a noooo behind me. So I gave some Linstanium to him because he needed it for tiles while I was just stocking. On another occasion I sold it to a player who was in a hurry to get some. I feel a better dragon-performance wouldn’t be much of an issue at all.

2 Likes

This! I never see races like that. Well ive seen it once the past couple of day with the free weekend but its was newer players right outside of highstep and they where having fun racing their dragons lol.
The gather dragons are not hard to get. Bunch of newbies are running around with some because people give away there extra dragons. They are common enough that i dont think that it would be a problem.

2 Likes

I like the idea, yet this would not change much, if there’s such a change it should be 2 seconds or even shorter. Reason, I just farmed some ores and counted the seconds, rarely it takes more than 3 for the dragon to catch-up. The longest was around 5-6, but only when I was running a long distance without picking something before.

The feeling that those 2-3 secs until he catches up take forever likely stems from the comparison with farming resources manually via pickaxe. If a player arrives at some resource it would totally make sense that the dragon-gathering is at least as fast as doing it manually (if there really WAS a speed competition - while, as several stated, nobody really feels there is - then dragon-gatherers would get nothing). It does not take me three or even two secs to gather something with the pickaxe, rather around one or less.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.