Easy Improvements to Overworld

Along the lines of other “better updates” posts, this one concentrates specifically on overworld zone improvements to increase the player presence in zones outside of Highsteppe. Here are some easy improvements that will require little coding but in my opinion reap significant benefits:

Mob Tinting Coloration:
Mobs that currently have the same skin should be tinted according to their level. For example Sapling Starfrushers should be tinted light green, Sapling Barkers darker green, Starfrushers should be light brown, Barking Starfrushers brown, Enraged Starfrusher darker brown etc…

Mini-boss introduction:
Next to every Public Event area, identify a specific cluster of mobs that will become “farmable”, e.g. Hordes next to the Fishing Event in Rainforest. Introduce a new mechanic that spawns in an “boss” level mob (tinted accordingly and scaled double the size of the “farmable” mobs) that has a higher chance to drop special loot. Toughness wise the boss mob should be about as hard as Shard 1 Mutated Rat in the sewers. The boss mob would only be activated after killing every spawn consistently for 45 minutes (if one of the spawns wasn’t killed within, lets say, 5 minutes then the timer would reset). Since these bosses are now similar to dungeons, the special loot can include a chance at Shard 1 type of gear, as well as a chance at a unique drop for that specific boss, e.g. +30 Crit Chance ring, +100 Luck ring.

Public Events improvements:
Introducing the mob bosses next to these events should increase the player base around these events but just having the same XP as a reward from these is not sufficient. The XP should “level” for each time you complete these events outside of Highsteppe, i.e. the first time you complete it to Gold it’s 7500XP, the next time it’s 8000XP up to (22,500XP), however, every time you fail your XP level for that event drops by 5,000XP (10 completions).

1 Like

Somebody say mob boss?

4 Likes

This is my sneaky plan to steal this title from you :joy:

1 Like

I like the idea of farming a region to spawn a special boss / mini-boss to fight. Idk if I want it to be as strong as a shard 1 boss. But maybe… I mean it’s better than nothing but also it’s not solo content. I feel there should be 2 paths for that. A group boss with spiffier group loot and a solo version with a lot of the same loot for less chance and maybe missing something that the group-version can drop. Solo content is weird too because you have to scale for a class like ranger and a class like mage. Everything for a mage is trivial or impossible(requires a tank) due to the lack of defensive/kiting/cc abilities & slow combat movement. What I’m trying to say is that anything that is solo-content for a mini boss would be boring if it just ran right at you. It’d need a large HP pool and have special attacks and mechanics that wouldn’t just be a straight up brawl / an insta-dead mob for mages.

As for events idk. I do agree it would be nice to have different tiers as they always seem to be gold or fail? But the events are just poop they need to be changed a lot lol.

Colorization could be nice but mob diversity is a whole turf in it’s own.

2 Likes

???
Mages have shield, decurse, frost 1-3 for slow, healing potions, speed pots, knockback 1-2 and a potential for a extreamly high dps.

Ranger has no advantage, except trap and slightly better armor. Sharman only has ok dps, the only dps class that possibly could have a better chance would be scoundrel with a slight movement advantage, a slow and a heal.

ye, nothing in the overworld currently that a good mage can’t kill solo, there isn’t even anything that you can’t kill before it does any damage to you as a mage(assuming you’re also good enough to dodge misc ranged attacks).

Potato vs Treesus at UFC 254.

1 Like

ehh, may have forgotten about the world bosses :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Looks like my message was not clear. To clarify: I said “Everything for a mage is trivial or impossible(requires a tank)”. Good mages can trivially kill anything except for mobs that require tanks (world bosses, winter-cave event boss[basically a world boss] etc).

My point was that solo content that say a ranger can do on their own, is extremely boring/trivial for mages because that mob will be dead in seconds. A mob that would be difficult for mages in a straight up brawl kind of fight would be impossible for say, a solo ranger. I want difficult solo fights as a mage but with mobs that simply just run straight at you & have no mechanic besides meleeing you or the occasional ability, they just die easily. I’m not even asking for balance necessarily in that regard, I just mean that there is no rewarding content (like low-end group content - because that is basically the level required to challenge mages) that a top tier mage could push themselves to do solo. Loot-wise there also isn’t even really point in farming solo lol. I need fun, or meaningful loot, ideally both. Not including shard 1’s because you have to swap to tank for bosses & the rewards aren’t good it’s more of a meme. For rewards you’re better off using a grinder & farming weak mobs.

When talking about lack of defensive/kiting/cc abilities, you need to think deeper into MMO’s and compare them to Orbus. https://youtu.be/7CX9wFvBIwY?t=376 for example. Also consider classes like scoundrel who have basically an RNG slow and can teleport away from mobs that sprint at you despite your own low-movement speed (& have a charge interrupt which is good but basic a.f). Or shamans who get a frost & a stun totem they would be spamming for damage(tho prob not even have the frost equipped w/o a reason) rather than CC & probably don’t need to or won’t waste a slot on something like a hex totem (same situation). I’m saying Orbus mobs [a] don’t really require these mechanics in the overworld anymore to defeat (Frost 3 / Pushback / fireball / icelance / affliction farming in Preborn was atleast a thing & could result in some close calls, although the combat was still also simple) and [b] there isn’t enough of it in Orbus for mobs or for some of the player classes. Warriors in the overworld can shield bash, can cleave, but never need to hamstring & run to let a buff wear off a mob or something, and so-on (and honestly running from a buff would be boring, melee isn’t really made to “kite” as squishy ranged classes are). Good mechanics about danger, trying to control a fight, movement, situational awareness, while maintaining DPS, lead to more engaging fights than pure DPS races. The WoW frost-farming example I posted is not the best example of this but it’s to give an example of a normally difficult task that is winnable from CC (and furthermore: a more interesting frost specialization but I digress lol).

In many MMO’s I have played, farming has never been the same for classes, some were comparable in strength but offered different gameplay, general feeling of safety, etc. Some have always been better than others in terms of raw $$ farming. However there was often movement with buffs/patches that would spice things up & even give incentive to have multiple characters(classes) or at the least, specializations. Some classes would farm a certain set of high-end mobs in popular spots because they can, and other people would farm less rewarding but still highly rewarding mobs in other spots, or groups of mobs(yet frequently dangerous to do so) but not singular high-end mobs. Or in other cases, some classes are good at farming a particular mob where other were not, and this could include special mob loot and so-on giving that class a niche value for a particular market. If a player wanted to farm higher end stuff, they would just roll a character better at farming high end stuff(like a summoner of sorts typically). Being a powerful mage is obviously more challenging/different & not something you just level up and adjust into.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.