Etiquette in regards to NPC kills

Hey all,

After grinding for much of last night, I just wanted to mention something I have started to run into a bit in the higher level zones. It seems like sometimes if I join in on a fight that’s already started, most people are cool or even pleased to see another player. However, a few times while working around an area last night I got “wtf” gestures or comments from several people over the hours. I suppose they may have had someone actually following them around at one point, and precipitating factors make another person showing up a PITA, but the reality is if I need that stag or snake for a quest, i’m going to get my hits in. The killing blow doesn’t steal all XP, so i’m just wondering if there is some other secret i’m missing or if at 20 there is some unspoken rule about touching someone’s “claimed” NPC.

Cheers

I’m not a very experienced player but the information I’ve gleaned from these forums and the playing I have done is that you get xp proportional to your fight contribution. I think loot may be similar, but I’m not sure.

So as a result, unless you’re very high level, and effectively griefing someone by quickly killing everything they tag so they get almost no xp, then I can’t see the problem.

Everyone is grateful when they get saved from death by a random bit of help, but sometimes you get some help you didn’t need. It balances out, and in my book is all part of the fun. If I were you I’d just keep playing as you are. I hope we bump into each other :grinning:

2 Likes

So, I don’t know what the overall rules are for non-party assists. However I’ve been going on a case by case based on how it’s looking and what I’m playing as. Here’s what I figure so far:

1. Most people will not mind at all if it looks like they’re in a difficult battle and you help out a bit. These are pretty easy to tell from comparing HP.
  2. It’s not cool to instant kill a mob that somebody else has barely just started on or isn’t having any trouble with. You’re effectively messing with their exp there.
  3. Definitely don’t polymorph anyone’s mob unless they’re clearly running for the hills. Even then, if you think killing it would be just as quick do that.
  4. If it looks like a couple of guys are partying and doing just fine and you want to help out, just ask first. Most of the time they won’t mind an extra bit of damage to help grind faster.
2 Likes

Saving someone who is losing a fight is one thing. However most people who are chain fighting mobs is for one reason only: XP. So if you come in and start doing half the damage they only get half the XP they were going to get.

2 Likes

I wish everyone would read this…
I stood in like 5 redtails in the starting area earlier and was doing some testing with dmg income and healing with orbs… when 3 guys came and started to kill them even though i told them to please not…
But i guess it is what it is.
I only help out if i see someone in trouble or most of the time i just get one instant healing orb in to help out. But if they’re doing ok, either i just walk past them or ask if i might join the battle…

After trying to get Runic Healers in Rainforest down for an hour (which showed green to me lol… none of my musk orb routines worked on them, despite -.-) a High Level DD just ploughed through them, I sure quickly tried to get some hits in to finish my quest, and sadly he been gone before I even could thank or ask for help with the rest.

Other than desperate situations like these (it didn’t hurt his xp a bit, I guess) I think every higher level knows from own experience that it’s not cool to jump in without asking if the other can handle a fight. In the starting area it happens all the time but people think they do something good I think.

I’m not that experienced but there’s entirely non-intrusive help if not in same party like shields and heal, right, guess nobody would mind that then, even if a fight doesn’t look that close.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.