I was thinking about our spell slinging classes and got on the thought of familiars. Most other classes have some kind of accessory for them to use in battle or enhance their main attacks. Familiars could be an interesting way for magic based classes to get in on this type of function as well.
The familiar could be an equitable item that works like other equipment for the shaman, or a two part spell for the runemage you cast to summon the familiar. There could be different types of familiars that apply a simple effect, something like…
• Arcane familiar - extends DoT affect
• Frost familiar - picks an aggressive target and applies a slowing effect
• Fire familiar - occasionally applies a burning DoT on an aggressive target
• Life familiar - occasionally removes a bane from the caster, if no banes are active, provides a small amount of healing periodically
• Scribe familiar - (runemage unique) Carries the casters runes so you can cast while moving (drawing runes switches from world space drawing to local space drawing)
• Golem familiar - (shaman unique) Can carry a totem for the shaman, allowing the shaman to move with at least one of their totems always by their side. (or in front of them, doesn’t matter, either or)
Thoughts? Ideas? Emotional outbursts?