Gathering skills idea

Hi,

Are there any plans for gathering skills?

Gathering herbs,minerals,wood,rock, fish may give exp to gathering skill for example getting 10 herbs at level 1 will advance you to level 2 herbologist (journal can show skill levels) then you need to find 20, etc… At level 1 you will only be able to gather lowest level materials so for gathering in wastelands you will need to train gathering skill to max first.

Gathering level 1 material will require 1 punch from your pickaxe / gathering level 2 material will require 2 punches, etc…

Same with trees/rocks - we can get multiple types of wood/rocks from different locations.

Ive been playing Ultima Online for years and I really miss a real gathering in games and since VR came out? Ou I felt super excited!
Think about it like Ultima Online / Albion style gathering - that can be a lot of fun and will force others to run around the map for materials constantly and will give us even some more blueprints to craft from and some new content that will please “nonfighters” and also PvPers killing those full backpack gatherers :slight_smile:

This is just my opinion after about 20 hours in game so please feel free to “correct” me

Ansatsusha

While I like the idea of skills, several hits required instead of one is already implemented in the game and poorly working for many people… I already do NOT need one punch, and also not two (as it is still implemented for ores I think), but way more to register. Normally I wave my pickaxe back and forth numerous times until I finally hear the sound.
Which is just stupid and tedious. If I venture out to gather, then I wanna discover places, not standing on a spot for an eternity just to gather some item.

Ah ok i didnt knew about the ore…

Yes ive seen it also just running around waving pickaxe…

I ment the gathering spots will random. For example 1/3 of the trees in highsteppe will chang on trees that you can gather wood from… no camping just running around looking for stuff to kill and gather.

Ofc some materials will be bound to special locations but not to an exact spot.

After 2500+ hours in the game, I welcome the challenge! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

So having played lots of games with gathering classes, I like them.
From what i understand, old orbus had a fisherman “class” (had no talents or upgrades at the time) and required a few thousand fish (or more) to max out. Iirc from reading old stuff, only like one person ever actually maxed it. They removed it because it really served no purpose and wasn’t popular. To go full FFXIV and make an herbologist, miner, and fisher class…I can only imagine it wouldn’t go over well.

ok i understand that thousand fishes is kinda an overkill in VR but let me try to change your mind

• I dont think that just having a pickaxe in your hand pointing to the floor and running around should give you any mat. - can be changed for example with a need to swing your hand at least with 45 degrees

• Being able to gather any material anytime is not an ideal way of how to gather material. - could be enhanced with level requirements
    i.e. Highsteppe materials from lvl 1 - 9. / Flooded RF 10-19 / 20-29 / 30

• But my favorite is still a Skill System - from level 5 you will earn an ability to gather strange materials
    e.i. Materials will be separated into multiple segments - Mining, Botanic, Fisherman and multiple levels

Highsteppe materials will be available to gather with skill 1+ (tier 1 Novice)
Flooded RF materials will be available to gather with skill 25+ (tier 2 Adept)
etc…

With every other map part there can be an additional 25 skill requirement (futureproof) and you will have to punch the material (again for example with 45 degree swing) once for level 1-24 materials and twice for 25-49, three times for 50-74, etc…

Plus for gathering material in for example caves will always have a X% chance to spawn a golem monster near you per SWING and there can be a fail to gather chance when you are for example gathering lvl 1 material with Mining level 1 -> 50% chance to success and on level 24 ->100%

This will make gathering resources much more viable and you can even add an additional special drop to those cave golems that would be spawned jsut for an events and gathering… (of course in wastelands there could be scorpions, etc)

• There will be a cap for getting exp from gathering tier 1 material when you will already have skill to gather tier 2 material (no no no camping in the easiest locations to gather crap for leveling)

• Getting from skill level 5 to 6 will require to gather exactly 10x tier 1 material so leveling a profession from level 1 to level 10 will require you to gather 100 pieces of tier 1 material…

• There can be various gathering equipment for example now we have more types of fishing poles and we can have more! I want a special fishing pole for training fishing to max level (golden fishing pole with some fun and totally special look, etc)

Sorry for my English and my writing style but I really wanted to share these ideas with you guys.

Thanks if you had a time to read this and please feel free to add any suggestions or gathering related ideas.

Ansatsusha

1 Like

I should elaborate with legitimately.

I’m personally ok with it, since I like gathering classes. It would also thin out the market and make materials harder to get, and give people more non-combat classes to level.

Balancing especially would be needed though, since just the example you gave of needing 10 times the previous amount would be, 100 for first tier (per level, from what I understand), 1,000 for second tier, 10,000 for third tier, and 100,000 to finish final tier, if they never left highstepe. In this way, it would turn into VR Runescape pretty fast, especially since 1,000 fish for the fishing class in OGOrbus was pretty excessive, I’d hate to see it hit actual Runescape numbers of 1.2 million shrimp to get to max fishing.

But even before all of that, it’s a matter of if they have time to code it all in, and if the community would even want it to begin with, ya know?

Ofcourse the numbers should be adjusted but what i meant was that you will be for example allowed to get exp from gathering highsteppe materials just to level 10 (for example level 10 will require you to gather 100pieces of tier 1 material and for tier 2 it could be also 100 pcs)

This was just an idwa for sure and real numbers should be adjusted so it wont be so grindy and also to be rewarding - achievments, titles, etc…

One of the reasons the Fisherman class was removed was because it had zero combat capabilities, which meant if you got caught in combat while fishing it was a death sentence. Likewise, fishing in the wilds was super deadly because you couldn’t change classes or fight back.

You cant throw that stick into the water and grab a sword from your back? Or why dont you just beat those monsters that are too close and then try to catch some more old boots and rocks? :slight_smile:

There is no need of having a class called fisherman… we already have fishing poles, places to fish, different fishes and journal pages about that so why not to add a journal fishing page with fishing skill progress, etc… etc… ?

He’s talking about the wilds, that was a pvp area. People were careful to not let you beat them up before you had your fishing gear on :wink:

As for fishing:

• I would like lure information to be autosaved in the journal once a fish is catched with a certain lure (gladly all various alternatives, on the page with the fish). Currently I look on my desktop which is a bit tedious.
  • Other than that I am not sure about the 3 different rods of the questgiver, I think these are only cosmetics, however, I would like to see something changing progress-wise, too. Formerly we had stats on fishing gear, which is no longer, however, rods with str and int on them, which we can somehow level up with time would be perfect.
    These stats likely should not apply to combat (else every endgamer would be forced to fish to get better stats), but if they ad to gear-stats while fishing or searching for nibbles with the rod, that would be perfect. Because these two stats do make a difference, especially for searching fish and fishing rares.
1 Like

I don’t like the idea of gathering classes needing leveling. Instead, I’d rather see more implementation of VR and spatial mechanics in gathering.

Instead of having apples ‘mined with pickaxe’ on the ground, I’d rather pick them by hand off a tree. Same with coconut milk.

Having ores more in cave walls, than on the ground would be nice too. Looking for resource flowers hidden in immense flower beds (ala OG lamavora) would be cool too.

2 Likes

I never wanted a classes… i mean you will be able to do the same as now but you will just get some xp bonus while gathering into different a different pool… thats it… no new classes…

Also im all in for those vr and spatial mechanics!
…im just throwing ideas… :wink:

I still have my Oldbus fishing gear. I’m just waiting for it to be able to be used for transmogs again!

I still have my old dungeon tokens, I can’t wait until I can trade them in for something useful!!!
Oh, and lets not forget the old tricksters’s token. I hope Orbus doesnt’ make any of this a waste!

I would also like to know why all the new tinkering gear isn’t sell-able at the smith??

They do make a difference in how fast you reel in or something, tho it’s not all that noticeable.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.