Gesture controlled menu opening reverse to what it should be

I see this as a very important issue for gesture controlled menu opening, due to the fact that when you aren’t holding the trigger, even the slightest downwards motion opens the menu, causing frustration enough to turn off the feature. If this could be fixed somehow, I’m sure a lot of gesture players would be incredibly grateful.

1 Like

Yeah we should work on that for sure. I don’t think it’s on by default currently though unless you had it turned on in the previous game.

what I mean is, even without my trigger pulled, whenever I draw my hand down, it opens the menu. when I do pull the trigger and draw down, nothing happens; And that it should be the other way around, like in default Orbus.

1 Like

I experienced this in the previous beta and had to disable gesture menu control

Mine does this too. How do you disable gesture controls? Found it nevermind. This really should be fixed as soon as possible. It’s going to turn a lot of new players off I think. Mine was enabled and I never did that even on old game.

the issue is that by default you are always pointing now, back in old orbus you had to pull the triger to point,

So just to take a quick gauge, for Vive users you all want it to be, if I pull the trigger I point, otherwise I don’t point? The only problem with that is I think on the new laser pointer menu, that would be kind of backwards (so you would pull the trigger to “unpoint” and that would “click” the menu), but is that still preferred?

2 Likes

the problem is that if you’re pointing, no matter whether the trigger is pulled you are ‘gesturing’ when you wave your hands, and the menu opens.

So maybe just change it to where you have to pull the trigger to do the gesture even if that’s when you are not pointing?

I guess basically the problem with all of this is the gesture was created before we did the menu trigger-click and they’re kind of incompatible. So either:

1. We keep it to where Pull Trigger = Curl Finger, which makes more sense for clicking on menu items and matches how the Rift works basically, and then I make it to where the Gesture just requires trigger to be pulled, or

2. I make it so that it goes back to the old way of Pull Trigger = Point, and default is to not be pointing, gesture stays the same, but then as I said basically you’ll be pulling the trigger (which is “Pointing”) to click on menu items.

Either way basically there is something about it not quite right but something’s got to give for Vive users until Knuckles gets here :slight_smile:

I think you’re getting a little hung up on a direct mapping of the trigger to the finger state. I think the best configuration would be to detect if your pointer is on a menu. If it is, default to pointing, otherwise open hand. Pulling the trigger inverts based on the context. Seems like that would look nice too, since it gives additional cues that your trigger finger will be doing something and that you’re in a different UX context.

makes sense, I don’t think it super matters to me whether the finger is pointing or not… as long as the menus aren’t flying open by accident when gestures are turned on. I’m on WMR so similar to vive

all the vive needs is the ability to switch to the old orbus hands and hand control setting that would fix almost all hand related issues on vive (also I’m still ok with using the old tap item way of doing things the only reason im using the laser pointer is because the new hands are at a really awkward angle

Just updating this thread, the patch this morning introduced that now on Vive you hold down the trigger for the gesture, on Rift you hold grip (so only your one finger is pointing).

1 Like

Actually this may currently be broken, looking into it.

1 Like

Okay in the actual patch it is working properly, just restart or download the ZIP file in the patch thread. Thanks!

1 Like

yep confirmed it worked, trigger pull + swipe