Huge movement issues, Orbus for me is unuseable (Occulus Quest)

Over the last two months a small issue has now become so bad I can’t play the game unless I disable slide locomotion and only use Teleport (which is a horrible game experience).

I will move in random directions when stood still. I will veer to the left or right when attempting to move straight. I now will pull a full 180 degree turn when trying to go straight. I have made a video but cant work out how to export it from the Quest.

There seems to be no logic to the movement. Ive tried multiple different locomotion settings but the only thing that works is disabling slide completely. My Quest plays other games perfectly so I dont see this being a hardware issue.

Has anyone else experienced this as its now so bad the game is unplayable.

1 Like

A few questions.:

1. Do you play in a dark room?
  2. Which settings do you have enabled when this happens?

I have the same thing but less severe. When I’m still I’ll start sliding to the right. After playing for about 30 min it goes away. I started noticing it about a month ago. I thought it was a quest issue

i used to have the same thing happen in rec room; it got much better after i cleaned my camera sensors on the front and made my play area brighter (have not had it happen in Orbus yet)

1 - Depends what you mean by ‘Dark’. There is window light and some overhead light, but the play area isn’t particularly bright. So I just increased the light quite a bit by adding a lamp with a 60w bulb shining into the play area. This didnt help.

2 - The usual settings were teleport + slide and with smooth turn enabled. Everything else was off (strafe, autorun, sprint etc). I changed smooth turn to snap turn and it got a lot better but the issue was not completely resolved. In this case when I stopped I tended to move backwards slowly.

So I turned off snap turn as well but the issue persisted.

That is an issue I read about often, sadly I only got the thread of Oculus, no clue how you would deal with it on a quest (some quest users posted at the bottom):

I had it myself on the Oculus Original, however it fixed itself, I recalibrated numerous times, made sure I had all latest updates etc. I did not apply any deadzone fixes. Later in the thread they speculate it’s dirt inside the controller, however it’s a bit odd it should only not work in some games, then (I don’t play many where I even can slide though), using compressed air can likely not hurt, wd40 I would rather not ;-).

A simple test to see if it’s a hardware issue with your controllers would likely be borrowing 2 controllers from a friend who also got a quest, if you know any.

Is it possible to turn the headset on without turning the controllers on? If the problem persists, even when the controllers are off, I’d assume it to be either an Orbus issue, or a headset tracking issue. If it goes away, I’d look pretty hard at the controllers.

This happens to me to, but i only slide backwards.

You might just need to put up a thick curtain. Inconstant outside light can mess with your tracking.

It could also be that you are waiting a smidge too long when changing your controller batteries. You can tend to slide in odd directions when they are low in power.

@roadkilz is right, it could also just be a matter of cleaning off the cameras on the headset.

One thing you can do is look at the colour of the pointer that projects from the controller on the Oculus Quest home screen. It should be white if you are not touching the buttons or thumb stick and blue when you do. If it’s blue when it should be white that controller has an issue. It could be dust in the thumb stick, try an air duster.

In my experience the controllers tend to recalibrate on start-up, meaning if you happen to nudge the stick at the time of start-up your stuck with it draging slightly in the oposit way

1 Like

Well I never touch any thumbsticks before loading in, the only action I do is a point+click on the name, then I wait. Also it’s only be one of them, the other is fine.

Today I tried the advise in the thread, showering it abit with compressed air (only the surface/thumbstick, thought that hardly does anything) and SURPRISE it got considerably better!

So I can recommend trying that, compressed air is easy to get on the net/amazon, it’s also great to clean computers etc. just don’t hold the bottle upside-down then it freezes stuff :smiley:

Many thanks. I’ve tried most of the other comments that were made (thanks to all) but nothing has worked.

I’ll pick up some compressed air tomorrow and give it a try.

Clean your controller thumbsticks with electrical contact cleaner. Theres videos on YouTube .Not an orbus issue. A controller issue.

I just had to do mine about a month ago after about 9 months of use. Compressed air won’t do anything worthwhile.

So you think you can have this issue for weeks and then it magically fixed itself the minute right after I used it… ? Well unlikely :slight_smile:
(And there’s several others which posted it did fix it, so…? Sure there can be multiple reasons, dirt on the surface/right below the thumbstick seems to be one of them though; WD 40 also might help, sure, but if it’s not really needed I’d rather stick to air instead…)

Other than that having a can at home can’t hurt, you can clean numerous tech stuffs with it, even if it does not work for the controller.

As a hint when looking for compressed air in a brick-and-mortar store, the farther from the register it is, the cheaper it tends to be! (At least it seems to work that way at MicroCenter) :upside_down_face:

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.