Idea for non-teleport locomotion!

I was kinda messing around with my headset while waiting for the new update to complete and i had an epiphany…

So people like the trackpad locomotion, but many think if we had it in combat, it would potentially ruin balance. So that lead me to 2 ideas. The first would be to disable the teleport on the trackpad when in non-teleport locomotion, and you can drag to walk and click it in the direction your going to do a dash. In combat, you can walk, but very slowly, and the dash will be your teleport. The range of your dash will work just like the teleport box, but instead to be a bit less obtrusive, have it as a faint circle around the player so they know about how far they will go?

The 2nd idea is very much the same, except you instead lean a direction and press the trackpad to dash. So if im facing straight ahead and lean backwards while pressing trackpad, ill dash backwards.

Just some ideas, really kinda excited to hear what you guys think :o personally, i find the teleporting a bit disorienting and extremely inconvenient in combat… so i had to think of something :smiley:

1 Like

Only one problem.
Oculus uses Joysticks inplace of touch pads :stuck_out_tongue: and the game is being designed for both. I like locomotion over teleport but can deal with either really.

Really? :o i didnt know that, ive honestly never had the opportunity to even look at a touch controller in detail… hmm

How does the locomotion system work with the joystick? I can understand walking as just moving the stuck, but teleport? Would this idea perhaps work by replacing the teleport button with this idea? just curious :slight_smile:

You can read my ideas for this on my old post. Better Locomotion

What was super nice with the sticks was my ability to switch to teleport with ease. Literally was using the stick and if i ever got hung up just reach up and press a to find my teleport location. It was a super quick and easy change between the 2. Wish I had vive so I could better explain the advantages to each. :slight_smile:
what did kinda suck was the angle of the sword/shield in relation to my hand. I know with vive its a different story but I support the idea of having my shield on my forearm instead of the end like I’m holding it with a stick. it seems more natural and would be easier to get out of the way when fighting.
I’m not pro either set. I just want the best VR Experience possible!

Front facing oculus user here requesting a smooth turning option.

The teleport locomotion will most likely not be removed simply because a lot of people still get motion sickness from non-teleport locomotion in VR. That said, you don’t have to use it as sliding motion is also possible which is good for people who prefer sliding over teleportation and for people who don’t want to have to teleport 500 times to travel a long distance.

This is a post one of the developers made on the subject.

1 Like

A turning option like in Smashbox would be amazing. I forgot to mention it during the tests, but it would make the experience a lot more fluid sometimes.

Hi All.
This is my first post on here, so nice to meet the community! Anyway I just thought I would give my five pence worth. I really like VR games like this which offer a choice over locomotion. Take VR Dungeon knight for example, which offers both teleport, trackpad/joystick… I absolutely love the “swing your arms to walk” idea. Its about the most natural thing to do when imitating walking on the spot. But I think for sure there should be a few options in the game for how you choose to get around.
For those like me with cast iron tummys, nothing beats trackpad or joystick. For those that get sick, some sort of teleport. For those that like to keep fit while playing… swing your arms to walk.
One concern I have about teleport as a method to get around is that it breaks realism and immersion. I mean ok, yes we are all floating torso’s without legs and fighting some pretty weird creatures… ive heard all the comments “This isn’t a realistic game though!” … but no matter how far fetched the fantasy is… it sucks you in more, if at least there is an excuse behind the strange things that go on… like some sort of explanation which adds at least some credibility, no matter how small.
This Game has an advantage… because if I understand things correctly you can switch classes on the fly by changing your weapon between sword, to wand, to bow, and back again. Levelling up each of their respective skill tree’s. So why not make teleport to travel a function of the wand? If you want to teleport… first switch to the wand and “zzzzaaapp” you can teleport. At least it would mean for those of us that like to role play in these types of games, how someone can simply disappear for a split second and then re-appear a few feet away. “Oh yes… he switched to his wand and teleported!” Makes sense… makes sense…
I think some people that prefer to only play warrior, but who get sick would feel like it’s a pain in the bum to swap to the wand every time they wanted to travel. But if the wand was hot-keyed to a controller, I’m sure it could be made to automatically spring to hand when you want to teleport.
Now I realise that everyone has a preference, and that to make combat fair there has to be some method to make sure nobody has an unfair advantage. But from what I have seen so far, teleportation doesn’t really give you much of a combat advantage because by the time you have aimed your teleport, pressed the button and teleported, and then subsequently turned around again to face the enemy, you have lost pretty much the same amount of time you gained by not walking.

Just my thoughts.