Ideas for advanced crafting systems!

Okay so, my dream has always been to create games of my own. I’ve tried my best, and i have come up with ideas that have made some of my friends beg me to develop. But i can’t code, im terrible, so i wanted to share an idea ive had for years and hear what you guys think, would it be something interesting to have in Orbus? :smiley:

This is VR after all, everything we do in real life can technically be done in VR. And crafting is a huge, critical roll in most large-scale MMORPG games. This includes forging, cooking, tailoring, and armorors. One thing i think would be absolutely amazing, immersive, fun, and really give crafters a feeling of purpose, perhaps enough to run an official business, would 100% be immersive, fun, in-depth crafting!

Here are some examples. For the forging and armoring, you would first need to have the raw material, as well as the “Knowledge”. The Knowledge would be in-game blueprints that you learn when you read them. You can learn some basic recipes for things like hilts, blades, pommels, guards, plates, etc. And you can learn advanced recipes from loot-drops from certain enemies, or taking a particular peice of equipment and “Dismantling” it to learn the recipe. Rarer recipes will require more dismantles of the particular part you want to learn. The recipes are only the shapes and effects though (for example, a large, smooth-edged blade would be heavy and might require a higher stat to work, but would deal a lot of damage, where a smaller, but toothed blade would weigh less and deal less damage, but might provide a “bleed” effect to do a bit of damage over time. Stats like damage is not dictated directly by the recipes, only the abilities of the crafted item. The real stats, like damage, come from the materials used and the skill level + accuracy of the smith. For example, Iron blades will naturally deal less damage then perhaps, a silver blade. As for what i mean by accuracy, little minigames involved into the crafting would feel very immersive and fun! For example, smelting the ore must be timed properly, when hammering the metal, you have to hit specific points in a rhythm-style (example being, a spot appears on the metal with a spinner and you have to hammer that spot when the spinner reaches the right point), etc, and the better you do those, the better the end result. Fail too many though, and the item is useless.

For cooking, maybe not realistic cooking, but perhaps something immersive and somewhat beleivable. Like having to turn grain into flour, rolling the dough, cooking it, etc, again with minigames where appropriate to keep the cook engaged during the wait times. And a similar concept for tailorers.

I mean i could go into further detail but i dont think this is something that would even become a reality on Orbus; perhaps in big-name VRMMORPG’s that come in the future, but not right now. Orbus IS a VRMMO pioneer after all, so we cant expect every little detail to be accounted for. But this is just an idea after all, and im really curious what you guys think :smiley:

1 Like

Personally I like the idea of making sure the crafting system is both indepth and engaging. I believe it would give the crafter a real sense of accomplishment. Not sure if the system needs to be quite as complex as you detailed but it should have some degree of complexity. Also the most important thing to always keep in mind is to make some gear very complex to craft and it being the best gear in game. As soon as you make gear drops in dungeons greater than what you can get from a crafter, then you just made crafting completely useless. Loot drops should be better than world drops but not better than high end crafting equipment. Perhaps making the rarer crafting materials only drop, gather or mined in side those dungeons.
Just my two pennies worth.

2 Likes

I agree. The crafted equipment should always be better than any other equipment.
if a were to take a lvl 1 sword and compare it to a lvl 1 (player crafted) sword - the player crafted sword should have maybe a little bit more damage or more durability. The same thing should apply to gear stats like strength, armor, etc. I’m just brain storming right now.

Riley has done great work so far. I bet he has a good plan for how it will work.

I agree with Chrondar.

So I think having both player crafted gear and dungeon drop gear occupy the same slots is not a great way to do it. Because like you noted, one or the other (the crafted or dropped gear) ends up being way better than the other, or way easier to acquire if they’re the same power, and it’s just like impossible to balance long-term.

Instead my current plan is this. All gear drops from dungeons and mobs. So if you want to get better gear you’re going to have to do the PvE content. However, the crafted items (e.g. potions from Alchemy) are necessary to do the high-level PvE content. So basically you’re going to need crafted stuff in order to get the gear.

In addition to that, for Runesmithing in particular, there will be both items that only Runesmiths can make (some of which may be gear but it wouldn’t occupy the same gear slots as dropped gear, and then some of which are things like tools and toys which are super necessary or useful). And then Runesmiths are the only people in the game that can enhance gear. So again, you have to do the PvE content to get gear, but then if you’re an advanced player you’re going to take it to your favorite Runesmith so they can “fine tune” the weapon to your liking, basically customizing it to your play style. Again, the idea is that this customization will be highly sought-after by advanced players who are taking on the hardest content in the game.

Finally, what I really want to pull off is to make there be this cycle where basically the whole server can’t progress in the game without crafters, and vice versa. So for example the base end-game dungeon tier would be doable with the base enhancements and potions that crafters already know. Then as that content is cleared that would make new recipes available to crafters, which then allows the crafters to help enhance the gear from that tier to make it more powerful, which is necessary to be able to defeat the next tier of content. So it’s like the knowledge of the entire crafting community has to grow to a certain level before further PvE progression is possible. It’s not just the skill of the Battle discipline players that has to improve, it’s the skill and knowledge of the Resource discipline players as well.

My base goal is basically “make crafters necessary, valued, and have actual skill differentiation in what they make.” My hope is that the approach I’ve outlined above does all of that. We can discuss it further once we actually have the full “dependency web” mapped out (e.g. what recipes and items different disciplines make, where the ingredients for those come from, what those items do that aids other players and makes them necessary, etc.)

5 Likes

I think this makes a ton of sense and sounds like a good symbiotic relationship. The only caveat I would say is that there is something really powerful about the notion of painstakingly collecting materials and hand forging (especially in VR) a mighty sword or breastplate that is better than anything else out there. A couple ways this might work while still preserving the cyclical vision you describe is that you need material drops from the current top tier of PvE content in order to make some of the gear to push up to the next tier. Another approach would be to break it up… maybe weapons are crafted but the armor is dropped kinda deal.

This is a good point, @Draven. I would certainly enjoy hammering out swords and armor. I do like @Riley_d’s vision of creating a system where both loot items and craft items have value and that is an important feature to me. Certainly, in the many MMOs I’ve played, this balance has been very challenging. In my opinion and experience, the worst system was that of Asheron’s Call 2 (AC2) where even the lvl1 quest reward items were better than anything you could craft, and the best system is that in Elder Scrolls Online (ESO) which is both intricate and challenging and maintains crafted gear as some of the best in end game while still keeping the value of dungeon loot. There are plenty of articles about what a good system it is, such as http://www.ign.com/wikis/elder-scrolls-online/Crafting.

That balance is not the only problem to solve on crafting. The notion of crafting to skill up was particularly bad in AC2 (and similar on Star Wars Galaxies, I think; but I did not play that game–maybe @TheAaron can weight in) where you worked tirelessly to gather materials and then only had a percent chance of success in crafting, with only successful crafting attempts providing points toward skillups. Other systems which are always successful when you have the right materials, recipe, and skill level (such as WoW, Rifts, ESO) are preferable to me. I particularly like that ESO has inspiration tracks for leveling up crafting with multiple avenues to provide that inspiration (mostly from deconstructing, crafting, and researching).

Looking forward to the crafting, and the Merchanting!

Alex (Mourtegoul)

2 Likes