In-game parser PLEASE!

The fact is, the dev’s opened the door to toxicity themselves by developing a combat log in the first place. If they had put in an HUD this entire conversation would not be taking place.

HUD would be there for all players to self improve and nobody would have access to anyone else’s information.

Toxicity surrounding dps would disappear because players on PC would not have the information. As it is, anyone can get my information (which is PII) without my permission. HUD would solve that breach.

I just came here to say that having access to a parser won’t make your DPS better.

Theoretical max possible DPS for every class has pretty much been figured out at this point. There are loads of guides on how to get there, detailing everything including gear affixes, rotations, and optimal tilesets. All of this information is publicly accessible.

You don’t need a parser to acquire the gear. You don’t need a parser to practice/learn the rotations. You don’t need a parser to make the tilesets.

A parser simply isn’t necessary for personal DPS improvement. All it does is give you a concrete numerical representation of your improvements. You can improve just fine without that, you don’t need to see the numbers to know that you’re getting better.

I managed to hit 50k DPS unpotted with a +4 scoundrel gun on the fellowship hall dummy, without tilesets and without having ever parsed myself/been parsed prior to that moment, when I still played the Quest version of the game. This was entirely thanks to doing research on the class and figuring out what I could do to theoretically increase my DPS output just by understanding the class mechanics better, and practicing. That 50k was more than I’d ever realistically need for any of the content in the game.

Edit: I think it’s also worth noting that the +4 gun & the gearset I wore with it at the time also had terrible affixes on them (Iceheart on the gun and a mix of random stuff on the armor pieces) because I wasn’t yet familiar with re-rolling or what the best affixes for the class were. And I maybe had 1 ring at the time, and it wasn’t a world boss ring because I hadn’t even fought the world bosses at that point.

I have certainly improved since then, I even developed my own tileset & rotation that built on the basic concepts of other existing tilesets/rotations, but I don’t attribute any of my improvement to having a parser. I attribute it entirely to the physical practice & honing in of my rotation. I trained to be more efficient with it, to optimize my reaction times, even trained myself to maintain it while constantly moving around. Looking at numbers on a screen didn’t help any of this.

Is it nice to have a concrete numerical representation of what I’m doing? Sure, I can’t deny that. But it isn’t necessary, not in the slightest of ways.

3 Likes

So fun fact I play on quest and although I would love a parcer there are ways to test damage and rotations for damage 1 example of that would be Scott’s Greg dps calculator as long as you understand a little bit of Java scrip you can basically test out a ton of rotation and tiles for that matter to see what the best possible dps would be you can get the dps calculator to run on almost anything I even got it to run on a chrombook so even if you have a very bad pc that can’t run VR games you can still run the calculator

This whole conversation is getting dumb.

The devs honestly have more important stuff to work on then an ingame parser. Even ignoring the fact that resolution will be a problem and that the current UI is somewhat a mess (I love this game, but let’s be honest. The entire message window moves forward when you scroll), there are more pressing bugs and changes that will actually effect gameplay then just adding a parser ingame.

Both sides have presented their arguments, and it’s up to the devs at this point if they want to dedicate the time and work to making an ingame parser for the few players in the game that don’t want to use outside tools or ask other players to help them parse.

We’re just going in circles at this point.

1 Like

Last thing i am going to say on the subject in this thread, is that if you think it would require much effort from the devs to implement an in-game meter, then you have less faith in them than i have.

Yes, i agree that there are much more important tasks at hand for them to solve than this. However, the work that would be going into something like this is so minuscule that it really isn’t about effort rather than wanting to implement it.

Either way you turn it, PC users (of which i am one myself) currently have access to information quest users do not. A HUD meter will not change that, but it will blur the lines considerably, as well as help newer players improve before they delve into more advanced topics like builds, rotations, tilesets, affixes and what not.

4 Likes

This is also my last post on this subject.

There has been arguments made that say this feature would have no impact on gameplay as no one would use it. I disagree. Of the top players that I run with, all of them are on PC and all of them are Parsing constantly. This is how they got where they are.

I built a PC for my son with cannibalized parts from 2013, an and fx 6core, ddr3 16gb, 1060 6gb. Ran VR on low setting, but ran them well

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.