Index controller rotation

got the index a couple weeks ago. I had no issues playing on the index using revive (which makes the game think i’m using an oculus controller). Funnily enough, as soon as i actually bought the game on steam and quit using revive (the game now knows i’m using an index), everything is off-kilter.

From what i can tell looking at my hand, the hand in game perfectly matches the angle of the center line of the controller (where the grip is), but that’s not how one grips the controller. to me it seems like it is pointing upward (to the sky) about 20 degrees more than my hand is actually pointing. When i point exactly forward (for teleportation), the teleportation arc is pointing pretty much at the sky.

It just seems to be a difference between using the angle of the controller and using the angle of the hand gripping the controller (which is pointing downwards somewhat in comparison)

For me at least, allowing me to tell the game i’m using a touch controller for the purposes of the angle seems perfect.

Edit: interestingly enough, the tilt on the mage wep seems correct and comfortable, so i’m guessing that was adjusted manually.

2 Likes

Hi, thanks for the feedback. I think in general if possible letting you adjust the angle manually was something we’ve talked about in the past, but it’s an involved step and will take longer to implement. We’re also looking at the steam bindings (although I’ve heard that’s gotten better in the latest steamvr patches and you can fix the controller schemes).

is there a way to change that in the steam settings? i looked for a while but didnt find any rotational settings

There are not any rotation settings.

How to play mage semi-confortably with index controllers.

#notSponored

4 Likes

#sponsered_by_alphabet(As_seen_by_the_shirt)

That’s an interesting way of coping to be able to use runemage lol

2 Likes

So this is the only not closed thread to the index controllers, so I’m bumping this up.

I was forced to use my index controllers yesterday, because my vive didnt charge for some reason.
And I was so godamnit useless as mage. Seriously.

I’ve my controllers now since end of June, and nothing changed. Mage is still unplayable in Orbus.
The wand is still pointed up to high, which is failing almost every cast.
Playing as musky is also wrong, but it’s not that important as a musky, a musky can deal with it but a mage not.
I’m playing through steam, so no revive thingy, and I’m not starting to hold the controllers weird #potato :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

As a lot of ppl suggested before just add different settings in the options like downwards,middle and high or whatever.
Almost all mages are gone anyway so I dont think a lot of ppl still going to complain about this issue.

4 Likes

One thing I’ve found which allows for slight modifications to the angle is to adjust the ratchet thingy that has 4 settings to change the width of the hand strap area at the top of the controller (I really hope I described that coherently). At least for me, if I change that, it changes how I hold the controller and can use it to adjust the angle a bit. Only works if you don’t have to use the biggest setting for the controller to fit your hand. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yeah, sadly ive big hands so im on the tallest Settings already…

I’m sorry. That sucks. My hands are so small that even on the smallest settings I can still lose a controller if I swing my hand to hard. I also can’t reach all the buttons on that setting… I have to use one of the larger settings and deal with the controller being loose if I want to reach the top of the trackpad with my thumb. My pinky finger also doesn’t register in games with finger tracking. :laughing:

Oh wow you must have small hands :rofl: :kissing_heart:

The dev team’s commented that they’ll work on this when they get a chance (pretty understandable that their schedule is packed given their excellent public roadmap).

I just wanted to drop in and comment that as a previous WMR owner, now index owner rotation is a big deal in many games.The best example of a Dev universally fixing this issue was in BoxVR and I strongly recommend the team check out their solution for it. Heck, shoot me a message and I’ll buy a copy for a Dev team member. Keep up the great work!

I just wanted to chime in to say I’ve been holding off playing Orbus at all until Index controllers are fixed (particularly the controller angle adjustment) to make things more comfortable to play. I hope this can be addressed soon, thanks!

1 Like

I think Robert mentioned it in the last major patch notes thread, but we’re working on a solution to this issue and hope to have something concrete you can play with in the near future.

1 Like

Yeah, finally had time to work on the index controllers. Next patch on the 5th should make Index controllers much more usable. Plus something extra for all controller types :slight_smile:

9 Likes

This would be due to the game thinking your running an oculus. Weird that that hand position was better for the Index though.

With our current version of the SteamVR library, the position and rotation data it spits out for Index controllers are way off. I had to manually offset a few things to get them to line up properly.

I’m also going to try to set up an official default configuration in the Steam controller section so that the controls aren’t so janky right out of the box for players either. I’ll probably also look through any of the configurations that are shared publicly to help form the default controls. So if any of you have got some cool configurations and want to influence the default config, upload yours!

2 Likes

I’m reading this thinking to myself, “I’m a mage who uses Index controllers…” But I’ve used them from day one, so I probably learned to cast with any rotation issues. Hopefully the changes are an optional setting, just in case!

(I did have to change my bindings, for the reasons stated. Glad you’re adjusting those. Thanks!)

…So it turns out I’ve been overcoming this bug I didn’t realize existed by holding my hand downward as I cast. Holding my hand naturally does indeed tilt things up, and spells of course will only work if I tilt my head up accordingly. Now that I’m aware of this issue, I’m looking forward to the rotation fix! :smile:

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.