Index, runemage, turning with wand hand

From prior posts I interpreted there was a way to change steamVR to allow index controllers to turn using the wand-hand. I get it that its always been like this with vive due to the touchpad, no need to dust off the history books I’ve poked through the threads.

Frankly speaking, its awful. It is difficult to express the amount of disappointment that such a thing is not resolved by now, having experienced & understanding it first hand. I assumed threads were saying like “fix the default” (as that does make sense) as people would remark “check your settings” and such. But unless I am mistaken, the only solution is to use your off-hand for handling movement. The index has been out for nearly a year. Is this not fixable in a matter of minutes? Perhaps its not, I don’t see how though.

The oculus controls allow you to teleport and turn with the wand hand while it is out. This should be the same for the index.

Can someone take 1 hour to look into this and see if they can’t fix it? Soon? Very soon?

4 Likes

If you guys need a beta tester who has index/knuckles to confirm the changes, I can coordinate (and probably other players).

Right now using left hand for turning/moving (and I cannot strafe which is a hugggggggggggge deal) is pretty painful as a bandaid.

Hi, I’ll pass the feedback along to the team. We understand that is inconvenient and hope to get a fix in in the future. Thank you for understanding and reporting these issues.

4 Likes

this is the same for HTC Vive you can’t move nor turn while having the wand out

The vive might not be savable, but the knuckles 100% can be. Search for “mage” “turning” and you’ll probably find some of Riley’s comments about it.

but i also mean the fact with vive you’re not able to move with the hand you have the wand in at all while the wand is out

Because then you would end up moving by accident while trying to cast since you use the trackpad for movement and pressing it to submit spells, it’s the reason this is a thing at all.

does steam keybind work in the game if change on steam?

Not for that, no. Movement input is ignored from the hand with the wand in it when it’s equipped.

so steam keybinds can’t be changed and effect the game bindings?

Of course they can be changed, but that doesn’t matter for this issue, this is an exception in a script to ignore movement input from the hand holding the wand, not something you can change in the steamVR controller bindings.

1 Like

okay, I get it now thanks for clearing it up for me :smile:

I gave up on Runemage because I was getting RSI in my shoulder, but when I did play, this was incredibly annoying. The Ranger bow also doesn’t shoot in the correct direction and adjusting the position in-game does fuck all. We also can’t give a thumbs up for some reason, nor do we have finger tracking. Index has numerous issues, but we’re probably on the backburner as a headset minority.

The index may be less common but the knuckles certainly are not.

Not being able to make a thumbs up also makes us unable to use that new pointing feature to see what mobs names are, etc.

I’ve definitely triggered that laser thing with the index controllers before. I 100% cannot tell you which buttons I pressed though! (Did it by accident) I’m pretty sure my in-game hand wasn’t pointing though… :thinking:

I get the pointing feature to work by having it on floating hp instead of static and then I think I have to squeeze the grip to make the in game hand make a pointing gesture, which triggers the pointing feature assuming you’re pointing at an enemy.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.