Index support coming?

I am hoping once the Raid is out the door today to have some time to finally play around with the Index Controllers and see what needs to be done to support them. AFAIK you can setup some kind of binds so that it should work out of the box without a whole lot of trouble, but I’d like to fully support them for hand presence and whatnot if possible. I do know that it requires updating our SteamVR integration to a new version where they changed a lot of how it works, so basically how long it takes us to add “full support” is just going to come down to how much has changed and how much work it is to get it working right again while maintaining the current support for the Vive wands.

The headset itself is no different than any other OpenVR headset and works without any trouble at all.

6 Likes

Cheers for the reply, do you have any idea if you want to make use of the finger tracking in some way? instead of just the general being able to point things out? Or is that still something to has to be seen?

( Topic was mostly based on controllers ) At least happy to hear you will be working on it!

AFAIK you can setup some kind of binds so that it should work out of the box without a whole lot of trouble

From what I’ve gathered playing with the sdk, you can setup the SteamVR Input system to fire off certain actions when the user makes certain poses. Also, the SDK automatically determines how the fingers should bend for you, so basically not much effort integrating it. Just make sure you have the latest SDK version.

The thing I think most of us are worried about is alignment with the controllers. On my bard I’m not so worried I can cope, but on my Archer, if the bow is off I’m probably not going to be able to compensate very well.

Looking forward to trying orbus out friday when I get my Index in.

Yeah… my index delivery should be today, and since there no grip button anymore and we should use the button b that will be weird…

@Reality_Quintupled to be fair and not to be harsh or anything, but things like this should have been a priority the moment they received the controllers. Making this compatible with the game knowing there will be enough people using them, having to start just now on it is a big oof.

(Again No offense just a way I’m looking at it)

Yes. There are a lot of us getting the index controllers because the vive ones are the only alternative right now and they continuously give people RSI…

I think some quick effort in making them compatible will be important… But they might already be so let’s see…

On the other hand, as a developer, i was able to get a free pair of index controllers for my project within a week of applying a month ago. I don’t think the extra effort was that high. Keeping an eye out for releases like this is crucial from such a big company.

We tested them out yesterday and everything seems to be working generally like you would expect sans individual finger tracking. Gripping like you would expect causes the grip action, joystick works for sliding locomotion, etc.

Just to give some behind the scenes info on this, we did receive the Knuckles controllers a while ago, but were given no guidance from Valve on when they would actually be coming out or if they were ever going to reach past the prototype stage, until about 2 months ago, at which point we were obviously already fully engaged with the Quest launch. The team really is working at max capacity at this point, so aside from not delivering on things we’ve already promised it can be hard to just slot in extra time for something that comes along suddenly.

Now that we have them and they are out, we will try and look at supporting some advanced functionality with them like the finger tracking. However, as I have already said that is going to require most likely a complete re-work of our OpenVR integration because they changed the entire way that it works for these new controllers.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply again, don’t take it the harsh way! obviously no hate was send your way!
( this is mostly the view and thought process from someone on the sidelines) Know the team is hard at work and know they will get it sorted!

No worries, I know, just giving some behind the scenes info on it. We should have more to share next week on the advanced functionality.

just got confirmation that my knuckles will be here by Monday latest woop.

Still my development pair of knuckles are stuck in customs. try to avoid fedex for us -> europe shipments people :smiley: they suck.

Yeahhh gls is alsooo greaaaattt… got also delayed to tomorrow or Monday meeeehhh

2 Likes

since there no grip button anymore

@AcaviGER The index controllers have force sensors, so if you squeeze them it still counts as the grip button. So we may still be gripping for now instead of using our hands.

Edit: Fixed the block quote

The game works very well on the Index, only issue is that the hands don’t line up with your real hands at the moment. Not a deal breaker at all, just a little funky looking.

2 Likes

They have basic support. Work really well actually.

I was able to complete the fish throwing event by myself with the index controllers. Its so much easier to throw things.

you guys are making me excited… :star_struck:

Cool glad to hear it! As I said we’ll keep working on some advanced things and get those hands lined up properly.

1 Like

I love the new controllers! So much better than the old ones!

I’ve noticed the angle discrepancy as well. The hands definitely seem to be 30 degrees or so off from the actual hand axis - this makes guiding spells with the off-hand really awkward (you point your actual hand at the floor)

In the 20ish minutes I played last night, I didn’t notice as much of a discrepancy while using the Bard mallets or the wand though. Either the angle is set a little differently for each weapon, or some weapons have a wider angle tolerance where they still work.

Edit: After a little more playing, I have to hold my wrist at a 15-20 degree downward angle to consistently get a flat plane for casting spells. I think there is just a wider angle tolerance for some of the weapons…

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.