Just because a mage is capable, doesn't mean they are cheating

obviously the old system was problematic, it shouldnt be implemented that way. That wasnt a hard cap being implemented though, that was just the original method that they were doing verification.

I agree that they should instead implement some mechanic that would essentially limit max spells in a fun way.

ā€œTimingā€œ also for mages sounds like a good idea imho!
Mages could get the ā€œtimer barā€ like the ranger and spells perfectly drawn and released at the right time would give the max damage! What the ā€œcorrectā€ rhythm is would be matter of debate ocā€¦bar fills every 0,75 sec?
Oc then if you go half the timer you shouldnā€™t be punished but you get only the same damage for 2 half spells like for 1 perfectly timed spell (ā€¦or maybe a bit less if you couldnā€™t draw ā€œperfectlyā€ in your hurry?)

Howeverā€¦As a casual player I donā€™t really understand why the cap is needed? Itā€™s because of pvp?
I guess everybody would be happy to have @Sift or others in their raid, or not?

Is it that other classes feel bad because they canā€™t do that much damage?
ā€¦I have fun with my ranger regardless how much damage I do :wink:

I donā€™t think that other DPS classes would die out because not everybody has the time, the talent or the will to become such a good mage.

ā€¦but maybe its no good idea to say anything as a casual player in this ā€œmother of discussionsā€ :joy:

It is because of pve balance. If the content is balanced around everyone having @Sift in the party, then the groups that donā€™t will have a hard time. If the content is balanced around not having sift in the party then the content is too easy with sift in the party.

3 Likes

Pretty much :wink:
While this thread has nothing to do with changing mage at all, it has already gone so far off the rails that I might as well just add in at this point.
Adding a cap to the mage class would make it incredibly boring. Iā€™ve tried casting slower than my usual speed and it is a very uncomfortable feeling to say the least. One of the best parts of the runemage class as a whole is that it has no cap and adding one would ruin the class. The classā€™s damage is entirely dependent on the skill of the player, and this is a great way to have a class in VR.

There are only 2 mages in that game that cast at such a level. While balancing new content Iā€™m sure the devs do consider the 1%, but does that mean that we are the only people that they are thinking about? I donā€™t think so? Let me ask a question. @Xicor have you ever even tried mage? Like really tried playing the class? It is obvious to me that the answer to this question is no. It takes hundreds of hours of practice to even get close to the level displayed in the video above. Runemage is by far the hardest class in the game because it has no cap. To play the class even at a casual level you still are going to have to practice for hours to even make a difference on the battlefield which is completely different from any of the other classes in the game.

4 Likes

So i dont think they are thinking about the 0.1 % of the mages at all when balancing. Iā€™m guessing content is easier for your group than intended.

As for playing runemage myself, I played for probably 15 hours or so and got pretty decent at casting (obviously not top level). Getting to the casual level isnā€™t that hard. Getting to the game breaking level that you are at is significantly more difficult. All we are saying is that they should at least attempt to make those two at least close to each other in dps for balancing purposes.

I play a ranger mostly, and if Iā€™m not even trying, I do maybe 20 percent less dps than I do if Iā€™m going for max dps output. If you were just casually casting, it would be a significant dps drop. This makes it hard to balance content with runemageā€¦ Because who do you balance to? Top players or casual players?

I think it really depends on what kind of content that they are creating. In general I would like to think that the DEVs consider both sides of the player base (top players/casuals).

Exactly my point. Just to get to a casual level with mage you have to invest, lets say, 15 hours of practice minimum. Compare this to any of the other classes in the game. They donā€™t even come close.

Probably took me a good 20 hoers to get a perfect rotation going on the old Ranger. New boss room layout and walls, and wekpoints busted that flat, back to square one.

I still se the new mage and Ranger targeting system and spell direction as broken because they donā€™t sync up in pvp and are fully undodgeable.

I still think adding a fixed delay to spell direction would be a nice solution.
making it a bit above the Europe latency would allow the server to get a fair chance to correct the spells position.
Would probably require adding a default strait ahead motion to allow mages to cast as usual, and then probably making spells invisible in close proximity to the mageā€¦ but thatā€™s technical details.

Was talking about how long it takes to get to a casual level on mage. 15 hours of practice to get to a casual level, compared to 20 hours of practice for a ranger to develop a perfect ENDGAME rotation. This proves my point about the difficulty of mage.

I think this point is very valid. How can you balance content when there is one class that is completely unbalanced?

Is mage so unbalanced? If you donā€™t put hundreds of hours into the class then you will never reach a level where your damage will be higher than than of a rangerā€¦

but once u do u become a dps god, which is higher than anything else by far. u said it urself that mage is the best class because mage is uncapped.
and then at the same time u fight against uncapping other classes such as rapidity ranger

3 Likes

really simply put. Skill vs damage reward should curve off at the top like a ranger does but currently it doesnā€™t do that and it increases linearly.

If however, there is more emphasis on perfect casting in damage reward then the damage cap can curve off at the top much more effectively.

but an excellent mage can still cast fast and get perfect spells. How do you stop linear increase of damage with an excellent mage?
instead of limiting cast speed, adding some sort of ā€˜enhancementā€™ spell that can be cast in between fire/frost/affli spells to increase damage by a small percentage (where if it is not cast after a given number of spells damage is reduced significantly) may be an excellent way to curve off the damage. That way the top 1% of mages do a more reasonable percent extra damage over the top 10%

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.